Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

2 hours ago, Cfa said:

Just got smoked on I95 in the Bronx. I’ve never driven in rain that heavy, instant roadway flooding. Temp dropped from 90 to 76 quickly.

Hot and bone dry in Queens now.

Yeah it was intense, some sun is back now recovered back to 85, dew 75. 

34 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Just plain stupid humidity, @forkyfork is in his glory. 

Yup. Fourth or fifth downpour of the day is commencing, so I'm pretty sure I've entered a feedback loop where it'll just keep raining, getting more humid, raining heavier, getting even more humid until the atmosphere is no longer habitable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good lord I just saw lightning from that line all the way here in Piscataway.  Actually now I'm seeing a bunch of it.  That's a solid hundred miles away.

Giving mild consideration to setting up the camera somewhere but I don't think anything would be here for at least two hours and who knows how it'll fall apart.  The stable air down here has been cutting down these storms for two weeks.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:56 AM, CIK62 said:

My prediction for August is +2 to +3.  In fact my prediction is the same for S,O,N,D.  Sneaky things may happen with change in wavelengths during the winter. 

The period Aug. 21 to Sept. 05 record heat for the  time frame and a TS to boot.

Support by RWTT, CFS and CANSIPS.

You have every damn month as an ungodly torch at the beginning. May was going to be the hottest ever. July was half way to being the hottest ever and you were factoring in a +2.5 for the second half of the month when it was actually below normal. the summer is close to normal while you throw out apocalyptic heat forecasts. I can almost guarantee your 8/21-9/5 record heat forecast will bust badly again. I get it you want hell on earth but wish casting doesn't make it happen and with the MJO in July clearly forecast to go into phase 6, your record heat month never had a chance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Good lord I just saw lightning from that line all the way here in Piscataway.  Actually now I'm seeing a bunch of it.  That's a solid hundred miles away.

Giving mild consideration to setting up the camera somewhere but I don't think anything would be here for at least two hours and who knows how it'll fall apart.  The stable air down here has been cutting down these storms for two weeks.

That line just passed my location and put down a quick 0.55” of rain.  Not much lightning and winds no more than 15mph.  Not sure about how much it amounts to once it gets past I287 in NJ.

On Monday July 30 at 3pm the following stations...NYC, LGA, EWR, TEB, JFK, ISP, BDR and Caribou Maine reported the following temperatures in scrambled order...81,81,80,80,77,77.77,74. See if you can guess who reported the 74 (hint...it was not Caribou). The answer is NYC. It had not rained in 48 hours.

NYC has now routinely been reporting maximum temps 3-5 degrees or more lower than comparable local stations not dominated by sea breezes. The temperature deficiencies are especially pronounced in the mid to late afternoon. On Tuesday July 31 at 4pm the temperatures for the 8 stations listed above (in scrambled order) were 84,82,81,80,80,80,78,77. NYC reported the 77.

Wednesday, August 1 was the most extreme. When I first saw the high of 93 at LGA I thought it was a typo. It turns out that while LGA was warm, NYC was the real outlier. At 4pm the average of 10 stations in the NYC metropolitan area, including Breezy Point (surrounded by water) and Bronx Botanical Gardens (probably has some foliage) was 86.8. Six Northern NJ stations averaged 87.3. Central Park boasted 81. I would think that a 9 degree spread between LGA and NYC has to be a record.

All of this would be an amusing diversion except for the fact that this is the "official" New York City temperature that everyone from the uninformed media and public to experienced professional meteorologists looks to as an accurate representation of conditions in Manhattan and an accurate standard of comparison (for example, experienced mets routinely use the NYC number when comparing the number of 90+ days around the country). The largest city in the US deserves better, foliage or no foliage. Meanwhile, I suggest that Upton send someone out to make sure that the temperature sensor wasn't vandalized and that someone didn't in fact remove it and toss it into the polar bear pool at the zoo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Today is the 19th day at JFK this year with a maximum dew point of 75 or higher. 2018 now is tied with 2016 for the 2nd highest number of days days on record.

#1....24 days......1983

#2....19 days......2018....2016

#3....18 days.....1999

#4....17 days.....2017....1995

#5....16 days......1984