• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
What was the storm that started your weather obsession?

Rock888

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, bkviking said:

Hurricane Gloria commenced the obsession. 

For me as well, even though I was only 7.  Also any storm when I was young that would get a snow day (became a snow weenie from that).  Mostly though it was my older brother who was into weather that got me into it.  We had a little radio in our kitchen that we would listen to Frank Lombardo (1450am) on.  Good memories.

I would say that Hurricane Donna on the first day of school in 1960 and the fact that Mayor Wagner kept the schools opened.    I learned something that day in that while walking south to the school at 9AM, the wind was at my back, and when we were finally released two hours after the usual 3PM time due to dangerous conditions/aftermath of the fringe effects, the wind was again at my back while going in the opposite direction!

My first interest in weather started with the March 1956 snow storm when the NYC schools were closed - I was 9 years old. My interest was further increased with the March 1960 blizzard but was firmly cemented with the surprise Dec 1960 blizzard. From that point on I was hooked, especially with the Jan and Feb snowstorms coming right after the Dec storm.  It's not abated since.

Vic V

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VicV said:

My first interest in weather started with the March 1956 snow storm when the NYC schools were closed - I was 9 years old. My interest was further increased with the March 1960 blizzard but was firmly cemented with the surprise Dec 1960 blizzard. From that point on I was hooked, especially with the Jan and Feb snowstorms coming right after the Dec storm.  It's not abated since.

Vic V

Vic, I remember that storm. I was also nine. I lived off of 11th ave. On 75th st. I went to St Ephrems. I don’t believe the school closed, at least not the day after. My father worked nights and I remember him leading my sister and I through the unshoveled wilderness until we got to school. Dec. 1960 is the one that got me interested. I was going to Brooklyn.Tech.  I remember looking out our frost rimmed picture window and the wind blowing the street light on its wooden pole back and forth. I believe the March storm was the one that resulted in Mayor Wagner banning cars from the city to expedite snow removal. Good memories.

Blizzard of 96.   Grew up on Central NJ coast.  Town called Morgan right on the Raritan Bay.  Lot of snow to rain events.  Nothing big at all growing up.  Barely remember 83.  We even Missed the one in 89 that got Atlantic City good.   Still sour about that miss.    93 was cool but was only like a foot with 4 inches of sleet on it.  96 was First direct hit of my lifetime....I was born in 79.   Just kept snowing.  Over 30 inches...Roads impassable.  Heaven.  Got me all into snow.  Wanted more.  Sill do.    Great winter too. Moved up to north nj in 2004 all excited then watch the coast jackpot for a decade plus now.  in laws in seaside park gettting monster blizzards.  Unreal but loved the March we just had here in Denville.  Had a few 20 inch plus storms here but nothing tops 96 yet...

Finally hearing from some folks in my age range!

I got hooked by snowstorms in the winter of 1959-1960, with a 13.7" in Dec 59, and a 14.5' in March 60.

The next winter for NYC was epic - with 15.2" in Dec 60, the JFK Inaugural Day storm with 9.9" Jan 61, then 2 weeks of continual below freezing temps ending with a 2 below zero day, then a 17.4" storm (seemed much higher in southern Brooklyn).These are all Central Park official snow totals. https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/sixplussnow.pdf

• Like 1

mine was probably the March 1956 double snowstorms...the 57-58 winter cemented me as a snow freak...The February 58 blizzard is the first storm I observed and the first time I remember seeing dim Sun from the increasing clouds before the storm... I remember the howling winds from the 54 Hurricane season...The first Tex Antoine almanac I got in 1962 made me the weather history buff I am today...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bklnwx1 said:

Finally hearing from some folks in my age range!

I got hooked by snowstorms in the winter of 1959-1960, with a 13.7" in Dec 59, and a 14.5' in March 60.

The next winter for NYC was epic - with 15.2" in Dec 60, the JFK Inaugural Day storm with 9.9" Jan 61, then 2 weeks of continual below freezing temps ending with a 2 below zero day, then a 17.4" storm (seemed much higher in southern Brooklyn).These are all Central Park official snow totals. https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/sixplussnow.pdf

21" in southern Brooklyn on 2/3-4/1961...28" snow depth after the storm...If it wasn't for the change to sleet in the am hours of the 4th it would have been a 30" storm...

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-F4A8D942-C856-46FD-A00A-C49D1F98E5BE.pdf

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/coop/coop.html?_page=2&state=NY&foreign=false&stationID=305796&_target3=Next+>

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uncle W said:

mine was probably the March 1956 double snowstorms...the 57-58 winter cemented me as a snow freak...The February 58 blizzard is the first storm I observed and the first time I remember seeing dim Sun from the increasing clouds before the storm... I remember the howling winds from the 54 Hurricane season...The first Tex Antoine almanac I got in 1962 made me the weather history buff I am today...

I still have my 1962-67 Tex Antoine's & the NY Daily News' 1961-73 almanacs.

1962Tex.jpg

10 hours ago, bklnwx1 said:

I still have my 1962-67 Tex Antoine's & the NY Daily News' 1961-73 almanacs.

1962Tex.jpg

mine were worn out from usage and poor storage...the  small March 28th 1959 snow and sleet event on my tenth Birthday stands out in my mind as an early storm that helped me be a  weather nut...

51 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It was the heavy rains from Agnes  flooding me out of my apartment for a week in 1972. My interest grew with the December 1974 Nor'easter. Hurricane Belle in 1976 pretty much sealed the deal for me.

not many big snows for people growing up in the seventies...June 1972 had a cool spell with mins in the mid 40's...unheard these days...Aug 76 tied the lowest temp for any August...again unheard of in todays world...

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

not many big snows for people growing up in the seventies...June 1972 had a cool spell with mins in the mid 40's...unheard these days...Aug 76 tied the lowest temp for any August...again unheard of in todays world...

The  first memorable winters that I got to experience were 76-77 and 77-78. I don't really have any early memories of extreme snow or cold before then. 76-77 was the closest to Little Ice Age style cold for me. 77-78 was amazing for a surprise snowstorm, ice storm, and blizzard in under a 30 day period. 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The  first memorable winters that I got to experience were 76-77 and 77-78. I don't really have any early memories of extreme snow or cold before then. 76-77 was the closest to Little Ice Age style cold for me. 77-78 was amazing for a surprise snowstorm, ice storm, and blizzard in under a 30 day period. 

1977-78 was a wet season starting with November's 7" deluge...there were six major storms that gave NYC over an inch of precipitation (five with snow) all within a months time...that winter was disappointing until January 19th-20th...we did get 37" in 30 days...the winters from 1970-71 to 1975-76 were not very good...there was 1972-73 with virtually no snow...1974-75 had one good week...70-71 was very cold with little snow...as bad as it gets...

19 hours ago, Rjay said:

A severe thunderstorm with tons of rotation in the late 80s 

Was that the one that produced the farmingdale tornado? I was at my parents friends house in east meadow in their pool at the time. It was the first time I had ever seen hail. I remember it being a vicious storm. I think it formed on the sea breeze front because we completely missed it in Wantagh 

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Was that the one that produced the farmingdale tornado? I was at my parents friends house in east meadow in their pool at the time. It was the first time I had ever seen hail. I remember it being a vicious storm. I think it formed on the sea breeze front because we completely missed it in Wantagh 

There was hail but I was super young and i just remember brief flashes of the event.

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

There was hail but I was super young and i just remember brief flashes of the event.

Apparently the tornado I was thinking of was July 23rd 1995. There’s a cool YouTube video of it if you google farmingdale tornado. The tree damage is about as perfect as you can get for confirming a tornado. Large mature trees twisted