Newest Member
    Dano62
August 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
945 AM CDT TUE AUG 21 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0920 AM     HEAVY RAIN       CROSS PLAINS            43.11N 89.64W
08/21/2018  M15.33 INCH      DANE               WI   PUBLIC

24 HOUR RAINFALL TOTAL.

Wow.  Impressive.

What we've lacked in severe weather has been made up with bullseye rain like this.

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
945 AM CDT TUE AUG 21 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0920 AM     HEAVY RAIN       CROSS PLAINS            43.11N 89.64W
08/21/2018  M15.33 INCH      DANE               WI   PUBLIC

24 HOUR RAINFALL TOTAL.

Holy ****

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

Holy ****

That was my reaction to finding raydar.ca still isn't working after 3 days. I need that thing :(.

TWN once again pulled a bust out with their hyping of severe weather today and despite the morning showers kept the absurd idea alive that powerful storms with an isolated tornado was possible:

Link: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/southern-ontario-fall-like-soaking-rain-storm-ahead-late-august-look-ahead/109648/

This is getting ridiculous and users are getting fed up with TWN. Obviously I didn't think for a second that I would have a thunderstorm IMBY but the rains I "bought". Turns out I received far less than forecast. I'm still waiting for this big pattern change they kept yapping about endlessly last month and then again sometime early this month. Oops another heatwave instead! :D:lmao:

13 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

On the extreme northern edge of a somewhat larger (but still small) deficit area. Been a lot of bad luck with storms dying as they approach and  splitting around mby. 

Just pulled the data, only .96” of rain in the last 30 days in my back yard. 

And at 10:1, that gives Madison what, 14 feet of snow??  

Thats insane though. Luckily the heart of the metro got spared. 

The SPC has a slight risk outlook for eastern Iowa tomorrow. The NAM and 3-km NAM show areas of 3000 J/kg of CAPE and 40-45 kt of shear in Missouri and Iowa. I'm kind of impressed by the shear tomorrow. Usually August has rare instances of 45 kt of shear, as the jet stream is generally weak.  It may not be a huge thing, but maybe we'll get a couple of supercells worth talking about.

• Like 1

Recorded 10.47" of rain on Monday at my location - just south of the unofficial bullseye. Obviously, never witnessed rain like that. I had to go out toward the end of it (still downpouring) and empty my CoCoRAHS gauge as I didn't think it would make through the night without completely overflowing. I feel bad for those that have to track down official measurements for the record - much like in a blizzard, it was difficult to get a normal accurate measurement in those conditions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nelson said:

Recorded 10.47" of rain on Monday at my location - just south of the unofficial bullseye. Obviously, never witnessed rain like that. I had to go out toward the end of it (still downpouring) and empty my CoCoRAHS gauge as I didn't think it would make through the night without completely overflowing. I feel bad for those that have to track down official measurements for the record - much like in a blizzard, it was difficult to get a normal accurate measurement in those conditions.

Just how high do the graduations go before they either run out, or the gauge overflows?

7 hours ago, bowtie` said:

Just how high do the graduations go before they either run out, or the gauge overflows?

I have the standard national weather service rain gauge. I've never seen more than 5" of rain in one day however I think it goes up to like something crazy like 20". The actual tube with the funnel attached only goes up to just under 3", then everything else overflows into the metal can (which is the can used in the Winter to catch snow). So then you would just dump the excess from the can into the tube and add all the measurements.

10 hours ago, bowtie` said:

The CoCoRaHS gauge has an inner measuring tube which measures to one inch, then overflows into the outer tube which holds 10 more inches. So if more than an inch falls, you dump the first inch in the inner tube and use the funnel to refill the inner tube to get the outer tube measurement. So the short answer is 11".

cocorahs rain gauge.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IWXwx said:

The CoCoRaHS gauge has an inner measuring tube which measures to one inch, then overflows into the outer tube which holds 10 more inches. So if more than an inch falls, you dump the first inch in the inner tube and use the funnel to refill the inner tube to get the outer tube measurement. So the short answer is 11".

Thanks for the information IWXwx. 

24 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

ORD might put up a big low tonight.  It's currently 84 with clouds and breezy conditions.  Wild card is convection but assuming no funny business with that, I think 78 or 79 is quite possible.  

Some key numbers to watch

8/27 record high min:  77

Latest 79+ degree low:  82 on 8/21/1916

Latest 78+ degree low:  78 on 9/7/1922

No low temperatures warmer than 77 on record between 8/25 and 8/31

14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Min temp at ORD this morning was 78...should be able to hold this through midnight. 

On 8/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, beavis1729 said:

Min temp at ORD this morning was 78...should be able to hold this through midnight. 

On 8/27/2018 at 12:30 AM, Hoosier said:

Record was indeed broken.