Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2018-2019 Speculation

Jonathan

On 8/1/2018 at 10:34 AM, FallsLake said:

The sun will set for the first time in over two months in Barrow Alaska late tonight/tomorrow:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl?ID=AA&year=2018&task=0&state=AK&place=barrow

Fall is coming. I know, no SE cool down for another 5-6 weeks, but..... 

Pretty crazy to look at that chart, it's a whole different world up there. Jan 22nd; after weeks of total darkness the sun rises for 27 minutes!

34° degrees this morning up in Intl Falls.  Last time that happened this early was the year 1918 headed into a cold and deadly winter.  In NC, the Spanish Flu affected 20% of the states population and killing 13,466 people.  Thankfully the Spanish Flu is in the past, but I will sure take the analog and hope it lines up a cold winter ahead!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

34° degrees this morning up in Intl Falls.  Last time that happened this early was the year 1918 headed into a cold and deadly winter.  In NC, the Spanish Flu affected 20% of the states population and killing 13,466 people.  Thankfully the Spanish Flu is in the past, but I will sure take the analog and hope it lines up a cold winter ahead!

The 1918 Spanish flu pandemic killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million people, including some 675,000 Americans. Troops returning from WWI brought it across the Atlantic, my grandfather among them. Spanish flu and other diseases, including someone in Atlanta or Moscow screwing up with their Smallpox stock, don't really go away. They just go into hibernation until conditions are right. With modern air travel, something could get a quick start.

Looking forward to three time periods leading up to winter:

1) First bonafide cold front of fall - Hopefully in another month

2) First frost/freeze - Hopefully no later than the end of October

3) And the period right after Thanksgiving when we can start tracking ( or hoping for) potential winter events  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

I'm just looking forward to September the 15th.  Usually, after mid-September, it becomes atypical for sustained periods of hot, humid weather.  I hate the summer so much.  So much.

Me too. First week of September is usually summer hot, but after that it quickly starts to break down (...usually). I hate the constant lows in the 70s. Can't wait for those first nights in the 50s.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

I'm just looking forward to September the 15th.  Usually, after mid-September, it becomes atypical for sustained periods of hot, humid weather.  I hate the summer so much.  So much.

Really have enjoyed the rain and the cool down. Havn't had this much water in the pond late summer since we moved in. If the tropics heat up in September I might have to shore up the dam.

• Like 1