• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2018-2019 Speculation

Jonathan

So, as the average daily temperature for our region begins to fall after today (7/23) let's talk winter in July!

What are the big indices looking like? What ENSO state are we entering into? Solar looking good which would make the QBO good for us? Any early animal coloration or behavior to look for?

Surely this winter can't be worse than the last two...could it?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jonathan said:

So, as the average daily temperature for our region begins to fall after today (7/23) let's talk winter in July!

What are the big indices looking like? What ENSO state are we entering into? Solar looking good which would make the QBO good for us? Any early animal coloration or behavior to look for?

Surely this winter can't be worse than the last two...could it?

I would have responded but the days have gotten shorter and I didn't have the time.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Good post,that and the solar minimum could be fun. How's your summer so far?

Summers been good. Just got back from vacation at the outer banks. Loved the weather, most days in the low 80s and plenty of sunshine.

But, still can't wait for summer to end (..being the cold weather loving guy I am). Maybe in 5 months from now we'll be tracking a Christmas snow storm. Hope your summer is good as well. 

• Like 1

I’ll take it 

CFS really trending colder for front half of winter. 

Got to like the ENSO look heading into late summer. Not too mention pretty decent ice up north and a VERY slow melt season in Greenland.

that coupled with the solar min (a very significant minimum actually) gives way to some pretty epic recipes for winter.

E918046E-DD70-472A-BF51-67080C3BC79D.thumb.png.4c5433a28979da83c9c93433ea618c0d.pngABBF90CF-AA47-46AB-A650-3C3373D3EB03.thumb.png.21fd3bf80e4f5b4bb4b2dd84b8420445.png

• Like 5

On 7/25/2018 at 4:55 PM, fountainguy97 said:

I’ll take it 

CFS really trending colder for front half of winter. 

Got to like the ENSO look heading into late summer. Not too mention pretty decent ice up north and a VERY slow melt season in Greenland.

that coupled with the solar min (a very significant minimum actually) gives way to some pretty epic recipes for winter.

E918046E-DD70-472A-BF51-67080C3BC79D.thumb.png.4c5433a28979da83c9c93433ea618c0d.pngABBF90CF-AA47-46AB-A650-3C3373D3EB03.thumb.png.21fd3bf80e4f5b4bb4b2dd84b8420445.png

However now it is trending back warmer/slightly above average

9 hours ago, Orangeburgwx said:

However now it is trending back warmer/slightly above average

Yep! I don’t usually follow climate models just for that reason but they are comforting when supporting good winters. 

All in in all this really is a winter where all the factors could line up very nicely for winter. 

Solar minimum (probably a bigger deal than most make it out to be it is THE SUN after all lol)

weak nino promotes active STJ 

-qbo helps promote blocking and sustained cold 

All of the very early indicators that we can actually guess at this far out are not looking bad at all. In fact, this could be a fun one I just don’t like hyping myself up this early on haha

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 6:56 AM, frazdaddy said:

Welcome to the neighborhood sir!

Thanks man! I’ve been on a roll lately, hope I brought the mojo. I couldn’t convince the girlfriend to live in Hillsborough or Roxboro. 

On 7/30/2018 at 6:09 PM, FallsLake said:

Your in west Durham?

Yes sir, about two miles from the OrCo line, just off 751.