Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 19-20 Severe Weather

bdgwx

Confirmed tornado in Ottumwa IA now.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED Tornado Warning National Weather Service Des Moines IA 513 PM CDT THU JUL 19 2018 The National Weather Service in Des Moines has issued a * Tornado Warning for... Wapello County in southeastern Iowa... Northeastern Davis County in southeastern Iowa... Southeastern Mahaska County in south central Iowa... * Until 600 PM CDT. * At 513 PM CDT, a confirmed tornado was located near Ottumwa Industrial Airport, or 7 miles north of Ottumwa, moving southeast at 35 mph. HAZARD...Damaging tornado and quarter size hail. SOURCE...Law enforcement confirmed tornado. IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree damage is likely. * This tornadic thunderstorm will remain over mainly rural areas of Wapello...northeastern Davis and southeastern Mahaska Counties, including the following locations... Eldon, Agency, Chillicothe, Fremont, Kirkville and Oskaloosa Municipal Airport.

Did not expect all this today.  Over 200 0-1km SRH, strong low-level CAPE and low LCLs...everything sort of maxing its potential thanks to the shear and CAPE being strong in the low levels with low LCLs to boot.  Pretty narrow area of good parameters but they are good and stuff is staying discrete. 

REAS AFFECTED...EASTERN IOWA INTO FAR NORTHEAST MISSOURI AND  
NORTHWESTERN ILLINOIS.  

CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH 285...  

VALID 192218Z - 192315Z  

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR TORNADO WATCH 285 CONTINUES.  

SUMMARY...SEVERAL TORNADOES HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED FROM TWO SUPERCELLS  
IN EAST CENTRAL IOWA. THE TORNADO THREAT CONTINUES INTO THE EVENING  
ACROSS THE EASTERN HALF OF TORNADO WATCH 285.  

DISCUSSION...TWO SUPERCELLS HAVE GENERATED NUMEROUS CONFIRMED  
TORNADOES ACROSS CENTRAL AND EAST CENTRAL IOWA THIS EVENING. THE  
TORNADO CONFIRMED IN MARSHALLTOWN, IOWA FORMED AS THE NORTHERN  
SUPERCELL INTERACTED WITH THE OUTFLOW BOUNDARY FROM THE SOUTHERN  
SUPERCELL. THIS SUPERCELL HAS NOW WEAKENED SIGNIFICANTLY AS IT MOVED  
INTO A COOLER AIRMASS EAST OF THIS OUTFLOW BOUNDARY. A TORNADO  
THREAT CONTINUES ACROSS THE ENTIRE WATCH AREA, BUT THE HIGHEST  
TORNADO THREAT IS NOW ASSOCIATED WITH THE SUPERCELL MOVING INTO  
KEOKUK AND WAPELLO COUNTIES WHERE INSTABILITY IS MAXIMIZED WITH  
MLCAPE AROUND 2500 J/KG. WILL BE WATCHING THESE STORMS FOR UPSCALE  
GROWTH OVER THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO AS SOME CAMS SUGGEST THESE STORMS  
MAY CONGEAL AND POSE A WIND THREAT INTO NORTHWEST ILLINOIS LATER  
THIS EVENING.  

26 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Usually the standard is a funnel that close to the ground is treated as a tornado. I would go with 2 tornadoes.

Really?  I think I've seen LSRs labeled as "funnel cloud" that stated funnel cloud halfway to the ground...  or something like that.

Too bad the building is blocking the view of the ground, but they will be surveying and should find if it really was 2 tornadoes.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Really?  I think I've seen LSRs labeled as "funnel cloud" that stated funnel cloud halfway to the ground...  or something like that.

Too bad the building is blocking the view of the ground, but they will be surveying and should find if it really was 2 tornadoes.  

I have seen other images/video of this storm and there was a faint debris cloud at the base. It was 2 tornadoes.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Another video collection for Altoona/Bondurant tornadoes back near DSM earlier this afternoon *Video*

When I watched that on a different browser (1 minute after upload) there was just a sound icon in the center with audio. I dismissed it as a hack vid, but here its the real deal!

Once again the significant events are the under-hyped or in this case virtually no hype days. It a rule of thumb. I haven't seen tornado motion like that in July aside from Canadian tornadoes. We can expect more of this strange timing of events because the tornado season wasn't present.

Former Pella/Oskaloosa/Ottumwa cell still cranking in the radar hole of west-central IL, about equidistant from DMX, DVN, ILX and LSX. DVN is the closest and still only hitting it at about 10kft.

My avatar is from a chase in June 2015 in nearly the same area, starting near Pella/New Sharon. An enhanced risk for hail and wind, 5% tornado probability and tornado watch were in effect, but new updrafts kept going up and disrupting the last one before they could establish strong low-level rotation. It quickly grew upscale into a severe complex as it dove southeast producing wind and hail at/near Oskaloosa and Eddyville. The sunset mammatus on the back side was the highlight of the day.

2 minutes ago, Memphis Weather said:

Major situation developing in Branson, MO. One or more sightseeing boats capsized during severe storms there. Reports of dozens in the water with rescues ongoing and early reports of multiple fatalities.

22 minutes ago, Memphis Weather said:

Major situation developing in Branson, MO. One or more sightseeing boats capsized during severe storms there. Reports of dozens in the water with rescues ongoing and early reports of multiple fatalities.

Seeing reports of divers in the water... Coast Guard also being called in