• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 21-23 Hybrid/Coastal Storm

Rtd208

Some mid-level rotation showing up very high (10k+ feet) in some of the cells up the coast that will work their way up over the next few hours.  There is instability down there so those are the ones to watch.

Strong winds on radar 1-2k feet up in that arc of heavier rain...so far gusts to near 40MPH at the Atlantic City and and Millville ASOS sites and some gusts 40-45MPH right on the coast per mesonet sites and 30-35MPH inland with the heavier rain.  We will see how this all moves north.  I’m sure real storms in the more typical seasons are much more exciting :lol: 

12317F8F-BC1F-4B39-8027-5E903C6445AF.thumb.png.a90a14b4db8b94322452798e452db45b.png

Edit: there’s a 48MPH gust at ACY. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Some mid-level rotation showing up very high (10k+ feet) in some of the cells up the coast that will work their way up over the next few hours.  There is instability down there so those are the ones to watch.

Strong winds on radar 1-2k feet up in that arc of heavier rain...so far gusts to near 40MPH at the Atlantic City and and Millville ASOS sites and some gusts 40-45MPH right on the coast per mesonet sites and 30-35MPH inland with the heavier rain.  We will see how this all moves north.  I’m sure real storms in the more typical seasons are much more exciting :lol: 

12317F8F-BC1F-4B39-8027-5E903C6445AF.thumb.png.a90a14b4db8b94322452798e452db45b.png

We had some great winds in the Jan blizzard and the first march nor’easter. But obviously sandy was king, 2 hours of jet engine roar in the Forrest by my house.

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We had some great winds in the Jan blizzard and the first march nor’easter. But obviously sandy was king, 2 hours of jet engine roar in the Forrest by my house.

Yeah, you guys can do pretty amazing on the coast.  Don’t think I’ll get as much here in NW NJ, but it’ll be fun to forecast them operationally as opposed to just watching them casually from the Midwest. 

24 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Yeah, you guys can do pretty amazing on the coast.  Don’t think I’ll get as much here in NW NJ, but it’ll be fun to forecast them operationally as opposed to just watching them casually from the Midwest. 

Sandy was an anomoly in terms of widespread impact. I spent Sandy in Morris County and the winds were damaging and furoscious. Lost power for 10 days. We didn't have the flooding, but the power grid took a beating.

NW NJ also does better for severe than the coast for most setups, especially with squall lines coming in from PA. Of course I'm sure it's nothing compared to Ohio where I'm sure you experienced large hail frequently.

Quite a bit of 40-50kt winds showing up on KDIX over coastal Monmouth and Ocean Counties attempting to work North towards the city and NE NJ. That's pretty much in line with the Euro. Strongest wind potential looks to peak around 06z. 

Looks like our potential for convection increases substantially tomorrow and tomorrow evening. Local point and click is calling for another 1-2" of rain Sunday night.

Just now, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

I took a beating down on LBI with that latest feeder band. Sustained winds were around 35mph with gusts to 50. The lagoon looked insane with the current ripping. The winds just died down as the band moved north. 

The stronger winds aloft are able to mix down in the convection. That band should be interesting as it moves Northward.

Sandy was an anomoly in terms of widespread impact. I spent Sandy in Morris County and the winds were damaging and furoscious. Lost power for 10 days. We didn't have the flooding, but the power grid took a beating.
NW NJ also does better for severe than the coast for most setups, especially with squall lines coming in from PA. Of course I'm sure it's nothing compared to Ohio where I'm sure you experienced large hail frequently.
Sandy was just prior my separation and the rescues and recovery efforts were.. Debilitating

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Severe season where you are is much more impressive than down here, some summers we see little rain due to the storms dying out in the marine layer. But winters have compensated by being quite fun for the last decade. The Jan “bomb cyclone” storm here was crazy and a complete whiteout blitz for hours. This past winter was good for spreading the wealth areawide, since inland areas did quite well in the March storm train. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic