Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hmmm, A July Hybrid Storm? - Possibly

USCAPEWEATHERAF

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah the past couple days have the look in the mountains of a Canadian air source, where from Mt Mansfield in VT, it looks like you can touch MWN over in NH.  It's that clear...as low dews typically are with less water vapor in the surface layer.  

Most of the obscuration is due to particulates/haze. When the source region is the megalopolis the air quality alerts start to spring up and we get the HZ ALOFT obs from MWN. If we can back in a (pick your own B country) blue airmass from a tropical source region, the visibility tends to be pretty high too despite higher dews. 

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah the past couple days have the look in the mountains of a Canadian air source, where from Mt Mansfield in VT, it looks like you can touch MWN over in NH.  It's that clear...as low dews typically are with less water vapor in the surface layer.  

wv is really not that bad on visibility to tell you the truth... It's that 'baze' that causes that pal and bad air quality - it's a mix of ozones and biomist ... poly aeromatic particulates, baked in the oven ...  think (biological farts + water vapor + contaminant aerosol (usually man-made) + solar energy) = can't see MWN

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Most of the obscuration is due to particulates/haze. When the source region is the megalopolis the air quality alerts start to spring up and we get the HZ ALOFT obs from MWN. If we can back in a (pick your own B country) blue airmass from a tropical source region, the visibility tends to be pretty high too despite higher dews. 

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

wv is really not that bad on visibility to tell you the truth... It's that 'baze' that causes that pal and bad air quality - it's a mix of ozones and biomist ... poly aeromatic particulates, baked in the oven ...  think (biological farts + water vapor + contaminant aerosol (usually man-made) + solar energy) = can't see MWN

Ahh very interesting guys.  I honestly always thought it was the increasing water vapor in the boundary layer.  So it's more the man-made crap from say the Ohio Valley and big urban areas like NYC/PHL, etc blowing in on S/SW winds?  Where as the crisp air is just unmolested air from Canada?  

I guess I just always put it together like, hey the visibility is hazy and can't see past eastern VT hills, and MVL has a Td of 68F.  Then other times it's like wow I can touch MWN and wave to the observatory... and MVL has a 42F dew.  Just made that connection and assumed...

I don't know why the topic of the Bahama Blues interests me but it is really different than the clear, clean polar air masses.  I remember it years ago right after Hurricane Gloria passed.  People in the Boston area that evening were commenting on the fact that the airmass just looked and felt different.  If it happens next week you'll know the feeling.  Dews can be very high yet great visibility and that breezy feel of the deep tropics especially if we get the building white low base Cu's against the dark blue sky. Different feeling and look from the usual SW flows passing over the continent first...

what ...

Little reality check ... no extreme scenarios were very likely from this interval of time, today through next Wednesday...

Anyone "disappointed" by that reality now... I suspect they gave into the typical meme/self-reinforcing ... spontaneous delusional aspect of crowd noise.  It's a fascinating phenomenon ... one quite endemic to this new technological forcing in human evolution - an internet run over by common heads given access to a public platform...

wah wah waaaa 

17 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ahh very interesting guys.  I honestly always thought it was the increasing water vapor in the boundary layer.  So it's more the man-made crap from say the Ohio Valley and big urban areas like NYC/PHL, etc blowing in on S/SW winds?  Where as the crisp air is just unmolested air from Canada?  

I guess I just always put it together like, hey the visibility is hazy and can't see past eastern VT hills, and MVL has a Td of 68F.  Then other times it's like wow I can touch MWN and wave to the observatory... and MVL has a 42F dew.  Just made that connection and assumed...

It's really the size of the aerosols/particulates that matters.

Typically the small aerosols in air scatter small wavelength light (blue) and that's what we see. The more you introduce pollutants, the more larger wavelengths are preferentially scattered. So in addition to the natural scattering of blue, you are adding more and more towards the red (which when combined creates a hazy white). Then towards sunset (or sunrise) the longer path length through the atmosphere scatters more reds to our eyes than blues. So your pollution or smokey sunsets are more colorful.

Water vapor on the other hand would tend to absorb the longer (red) wavelengths, so it doesn't contribute nearly as much to the haze as pollutants do.

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, I’m not all that impressed by rain prospects for this area. Way west for the good stuff. 

Hoping we can score enough to wet the ground 

Glad this evolution is taking place now, and not five months from now....Wiz would be firing up severe threads on Christmas eve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Glad this evolution is taking place now, and not five months from now....Wiz would be firing up severe threads on Christmas eve.

Ha ha!  I joked about this very same thing .... This thread had days of lies up our fannies ...now, so deep inland that by the time that gets to our latitudes, ...it's really not even a closed entity... I mean it is, but it isn't...

• Like 1

Sitting here in the middle of RI...weathermen keep mentioning the chance of a spinup overnight/tomorrow morning...but they usually don’t even mention it when we are at a marginal risk.

Big chance?

33 minutes ago, Yester said:

Sitting here in the middle of RI...weathermen keep mentioning the chance of a spinup overnight/tomorrow morning...but they usually don’t even mention it when we are at a marginal risk.

Big chance?

Big chance? No.  I think we've had such minimal severe threats this year, they are just making sure to get the SPC message across.