Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2018-19 Is Coming

WxUSAF

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I am not sure a "slightly below average" January would really feel like a pullback or even be void of snow.  We are so used to torches in January a "normal" one might feel arctic.  

Totally agreed. A January that comes in at or just below normal would absolutely yield chances assuming there’s moisture around.

• Like 2

Eric always seems to have keen insights on El Ninos .......wonder the eventual outcome , weak, or moderate ?  Or maybe inbetween and of course it could be classified as weak but there is the possibility that the sensibe weather outcomes might minic a moderate El Niino. 

• Like 1

Per HM  , this is not a 2009 December coming up, OK 

To be fair to Anthony you really need to read all his tweets around this topic . He makes good points, as always.   

He went on to say about there are some positives,  but also mentioned at this time back in 2009 he was already speculating on a big storm in December, as you can read below. 

I did not look, but wondering what the AO and NAO were like durig the summer of 2009. 

More from HM, this time about 1994 , here I can see the logic about that year.

So both of those years are extremes as he alludes to here.  So maybe we get a combo from various years.

I mean you can use a analog in a winter forecast,  but we should all know that the year(s) used are similiar to a degree but never an exact match in seasonal forecasting. 

For example this year I myself can see March being very harsh , when I think March 2003 was not.   I like 57 - 58 as a possible late season outcome . 

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, that's actually not an awful look. Looks like a semi-active STJ to me given the precip in the south. And warmth in Alaska is something I want to see provided the PNA/EPO regions look good. Last thing I want is a black hole up there flooding the US with PAC warmth. We can get by with a crappy Atlantic. It's game over if the PAC is trash. IMO. 

I think the Pac drives the pattern this winter  , intervals of -EPO and + PNA and a few episodes later of -AO and even some -NAO.  

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

Can we get a 9-year anniversary 12/19 snowstorm? 

Let's do 12/24 this year. Although that weekend will be burned in my memory forever. Drove from Rockville to Columbia during the height of the storm carrying precious cargo (groom and $1k worth of liquor). Was supposed to be 250 people at the wedding and only about 50 could make it. It was pretty awesome regardless. I know your big day was similar. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Let's do 12/24 this year. Although that weekend will be burned in my memory forever. Drove from Rockville to Columbia during the height of the storm carrying precious cargo (groom and $1k worth of liquor). Was supposed to be 250 people at the wedding and only about 50 could make it. It was pretty awesome regardless. I know your big day was similar. 

$1K of liquor and only 50 people to drink it? Yeah, I bet it was awesome. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

El Nino may not have an open stage, the cold anomaly since the summer season in central Canada is quite persistent and Hudson Bay is considerably colder than usual with prospects of early freeze-up, this normally correlates with below normal temperatures in the Great Lakes and inland northeast, so that I'm speculating the El Nino may not always be dominant in the west-central regions but instead there may be a persistent frontal boundary across the central Rockies oriented NW-SE, and confluent flow heading for Atlantic Canada. Given all of that set-up, the storm track may tend to run across the Tennessee Valley into southern Virginia fairly frequently. So I think it could be a better than average snowfall winter with slightly below normal temperatures in the Mid-Atlantic. 

I don't foresee long intervals of torch, nor do I see cold shots going so far south that you end up in cold, dry either (the El Nino should at least guarantee a moist south and southeast US). 

With any luck, one or two decent snowfalls this winter. When the contest comes around, I am going to go something like 50% above normal, nothing spectacular like 2010, but solid. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Latest EPS Weeklies are umm, well, I hope we aren't wasting this now if it were to verify, lol. The E/NPAC is stout throughout with a -EPO, and a predominate +PNA. Also features a blocky look up top pretty much the whole run. Given the look for the first week of November, hard to imagine there wouldn't be a pretty widespread early season elevation type winter storm in the east.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Latest EPS Weeklies are umm, well, I hope we aren't wasting this now if it were to verify, lol. The E/NPAC is stout throughout with a -EPO, and a predominate +PNA. Also features a blocky look up top pretty much the whole run. Given the look for the first week of November, hard to imagine there wouldn't be a pretty widespread early season elevation type winter storm in the east.

With decent enso forcing it's very possible that Nov starts showing winter's hand. I'm slowly coming around to the idea that this winter may be pretty good. 

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So tell me more about this "blob"...I've heard a couple of you reference it, but I'm not clear on what it does, exactly!

Area of above normal temps in the gulf of AK and off the west coast of CA. It's a chicken or egg discussion as to what it means. 13-14 had it and there was persistent ridging there and a -epo. The question is, does the above normal water cause the ridge or vice versa. It's not like it's warm water. Even though the maps show orange and red the water temps are still low 50s or lower. Not exactly warm water like along the equator. 

I think it's a byproduct of the peristant ridging and doesn't cause anything more than a minor feedback. If a trough wants to set up over that area of above normal water it isn't going to stop much. 

It is a sign though and a good one. We want a -epo and +pna all winter. I noticed the really strong ridging over AK in sept and was wondering if that will be a theme this winter. Would be great if it does. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Area of above normal temps in the gulf of AK and off the west coast of CA. It's a chicken or egg discussion as to what it means. 13-14 had it and there was persistent ridging there and a -epo. The question is, does the above normal water cause the ridge or vice versa. It's not like it's warm water. Even though the maps show orange and red the water temps are still low 50s or lower. Not exactly warm water like along the equator. 

I think it's a byproduct of the peristant ridging and doesn't cause anything more than a minor feedback. If a trough wants to set up over that area of above normal water it isn't going to stop much. 

It is a sign though and a good one. We want a -epo and +pna all winter. I noticed the really strong ridging over AK in sept and was wondering if that will be a theme this winter. Would be great if it does. 

Some twitter commentary on the blob...(some throw out how it came and disappeared in Fall 2016... Now, if it does disappear...what else will we need to happen?)

Screenshot_20181019-020331_Chrome.jpg

16 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm down with a big christmas eve storm. And yes, though only a 100 people guest list, with about 40 or so making it. The open bar was hopping! 

20 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

You have the best wedding picture of ALL time!

Thank you :)