• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
GrADS and Python

weatherwiz

From my understanding you can use Python to extract data from computer forecast models. Is anyone familiar with this process and could provide some insight into how difficult this may be? I've come across this link which seems very helpful and provides a lot of information but when I sort of put in the codes they have into python nothing really happens. Keep in mind I've never, ever used Python and now nothing about it

https://github.com/pvlib/pvlib-python/blob/master/docs/sphinx/source/forecasts.rst

Anyways, I also have heard about GrADS but again not familiar with it. I've done some searching to download it but I can't find anything if you can download it on windows...then I still need to figure out how to use it. 

Finally, and this goes back to Python, but if I can successfully pull data from forecast models can I use python to display maps or would I need another program or is that what GrADS could be used for?

I'm trying to figure all this out and learn ASAP.

7 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

From my understanding you can use Python to extract data from computer forecast models. Is anyone familiar with this process and could provide some insight into how difficult this may be? I've come across this link which seems very helpful and provides a lot of information but when I sort of put in the codes they have into python nothing really happens. Keep in mind I've never, ever used Python and now nothing about it

https://github.com/pvlib/pvlib-python/blob/master/docs/sphinx/source/forecasts.rst

Anyways, I also have heard about GrADS but again not familiar with it. I've done some searching to download it but I can't find anything if you can download it on windows...then I still need to figure out how to use it. 

Finally, and this goes back to Python, but if I can successfully pull data from forecast models can I use python to display maps or would I need another program or is that what GrADS could be used for?

I'm trying to figure all this out and learn ASAP.

I remember extracting data from model runs, saved data, in python it was a brief lesson or two in the semester. If I happen to find anything in my notes at home ill throw them your way on how to do so. As far as I remember you can see the model output but it will be a little different than what you are use to seeing in a computer model run. When we did it we got things like pressure and temp for allowing gradient looks to see where Low/high placement and fronts but again not similar looking to how we see models say as tropical tidbits or something, im sure there is some way to get it to represent how you want it but that will be for whatever you may need it for. The other im unfamiliar with didnt do much programming had fortran and python in school.