• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SSD Tropical Floaters and AVN IR

Windspeed

NOAA's older Satellite Products and Services Division (SSD) NESDIS website is being phased out perhaps? This includes their Tropical Floaters page. At any rate, they have a new site here for GOES 16 products. Granted, I use a lot of different satellite products from a plethora of sites. Obviously, the newer high resolution products have much better bands, micrometer enhancements and filters.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, I am bummed the old Tropical Floaters page is no longer supported for the numero uno reason that I miss my bloody NHC Aviation Color Enhancement for IR imagery. I cannot seem to find any other products or site that replicates this exact color spread for GOES-16. Though, again, I use all the new stuff, the spread of AVN is what my mind has recognized for 20 years of meticulous observing of cloudtop characteristics. I always want to compare and contrast in it for historical imagery and realtime changes. Everything else just feels off.

Have I overlooked a site? If not, does anyone have any suggestions? At this time, SSD still has products up for HIMAWARI satellite imagery over the Eastern hemisphere at least. I suppose I could annoy NESDIS until they add classic AVN as a filter on the new site to go along with all those new enhancements.

For anyone lost on what I am referring to, this is the classic Aviation Color Enhancement for coldness of cloudtops that was available through NHC/SSD since the 90s. Yes, I realize there are "cleaner" enhancements for micrometer bands now but this is still too important not to have available simply due to historical comparisons:66e1b793f29fab5b6d667baf11c20ad4.gif

Archived