Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2018 Observations

Solak

1 hour ago, jburns said:

Got my first rain for the entire month.  0.29" yesterday and 0.11" so far today. So 0.41" for almost the entire month. It has really been quite amazing how rain would go by on all sides. A couple of times I could actually smell the rain but nothing would fall. Several times it would look like I couldn't miss on radar and the storm would either collapse or split in two and slide by on both sides. I mowed around the first of July and not since.

It'll come. You got to think with what the models show most should get some good rains (eventually).

18z NAM total precip at hour 84:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=seus&pkg=apcpn&runtime=2018072318&fh=84

Forcefield reinforced and going strong. No rain past 3 days despite high chances. All dissipates as it reaches the county. Radar currently showing it well. Severe warned storm rapidly falling apart to the N. Same thing happened yesterday with severe warned storm and day before with that storm that had the tornado warning. 

2 hours ago, metalicwx366 said:

Forcefield reinforced and going strong. No rain past 3 days despite high chances. All dissipates as it reaches the county. Radar currently showing it well. Severe warned storm rapidly falling apart to the N. Same thing happened yesterday with severe warned storm and day before with that storm that had the tornado warning. 

I was wrong. This surprised the hell out of me though.

87B3E45E-56FF-4945-A8CC-78EA30818DDD.png

30180E11-CC88-4847-B5AA-8E37D5B445DE.png

We had just shy of three quarters of an inch of rain last night prior to midnight.  We also experienced one of the closest bolts of lightning we have ever "felt".  About 11:30 PM, there was a bright flash and instantaneous "BOOM!" that shook the house.  You could feel it in your chest too, like a loud explosion from a powerful firecracker on July 4.  Somehow, my boys slept right through it, but the rest of us snapped to attention.  I could see no evidence of damage around our house, so I'm not sure where exactly the bolt touched down, but it was super close.

12 hours ago, Solak said:

Day 4 of the week-long 'monsoon'...

0.04"

WRAL had a tidbit about why this episode has overall underperformed, at least in east central NC.  Apparently the lift just wasn't there.

https://www.wral.com/forecasters-miffed-cuz-we-didn-t-have-the-lift-/17724649/

That being said, plenty of folks in west-central and at the beach cashed in.  IMBY we had a little under two inches, more than half of that on Sunday.  It's still welcome.

• Like 1

.24" last night which gives me a 3 day total of 3.50". Much warmer today at 87/79.

EDIT: Right after I posted this, a storm popped up right over my neighborhood and right now its pouring so this makes day 3 of rain. Loving it. Ended with .39" for today so far. More storms firing up to my southwest. That gives me a 3 day total of 3.89". Not bad after some 23 days of no rain. 

Pretty  cool "RoadTrip" yesterday from Wilmington to RDU & back..

Raining T-storms here, and the futher inland one went, the Less clouds & rain there was..

(Except around the RDU Airport yesterday w/Rain & Fog on I-40)

going back home Nice Day, partly Cloudy, as I approached the coast, the More "numerous" Showers & downpours became..

Then as I, cross the Pender Co. into New Hanover Co line coming into ILM, it was totally "socked-in" as We are STILL this way today..

OK.. that said...

Current Obs..

Cloudy & area T-storms

82/74 (Currently 79)

Humidity 85%

Dewpoint 73.9%

Pressure 30.02 inches

Winds are SSE (but CALM Most of today)

Beach Water Temps is at 83

Precipitation yesterday 1.20 inches

Today .30 inches

Precipitation for the Month of JULY 12.34 Average is, 5.94"

YTD is 52.38 

Here is a cool Gif I just got for My area(s) check-out the Seabreeze/outflows going on..

These Storms have been just setting/training on top of us all Day today

From the AFD as of 3PM today

as of 3 PM...well, despite being less active than much of
the week, showers and thunderstorms have once again affected mostly
coastal areas today, adding to impressive monthly and yearly
rainfall totals. This activity has developed along the sea breeze
and other outflow/residual boundaries, aided by 300mb diffluence as
a jet lifts off to the NE, and shortwave energy thanks to weak
impulses rotating within the flow.

WUNIDS_map.gif

Just got missed by a big thunderstorm. Just light rain here totaling .13" so far today. Currently 78/75 with lots of thunder.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke to soon, absolutely pouring right now. Picked up a total of .79" from that storm with lots of very close lightning strikes. This brings me up to 5.26" for the month.

• Like 1

Today...

82/74

Humidity 84% (finally had to break down & turn the AC on because of the Humidity, it was getting quite "thick"..)

Dew point 76.3%

Pressure steady at 30.03 inches

Winds SSW are CALM, (even though We had several waterspouts in area waters yesterday & today!)

Precipitation Today 0.35" inches and just under a  Half inch total in the past 24 hours since I posted yesterday recorded..

Precipitation for the Month of JULY now stands at 12.93

While Monthly Historic average on this date is.. 6.27" and YTD Historic average is 30.55 respectively.. (going by ILM stats.)

Beach water temp steady @ 83F

Monsoon season continues until at Least through Thursday,,,  NEXT WEEK? 

AFD

Synopsis...
a front will remain west of the area through the weekend into early
next week. As a result, humid and unstable conditions will continue
with a chance of showers and thunderstorms each day. The coverage of
storms will likely increase the first part of next week as upper
level impulses move across the area.(My edit; can it get more "increased?" than it is now? Reminds Me of ATL Side of Panama during the rainy season! ;) )
pwats over 2 inches into next week which combined with latest rap analyzed MLCAPE of 2500-3000 j/kg has
allowed scattered tstms to develop across the area into next week..

UUGGGHHH

My Rice Paddies are doing great..

Thundering here with a storm.just east of me. Downeast should get some good rain from it. Since this ongoing monsoon event started in right at 5 inches and the odd thing is almost all of it has fallen during the overnight or early morning hours. The first two big rains were between 12 and 2 am on back to back nights then again lastnight and again this morning around 730. Strange i have had no storms during the afternoon.

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

Thundering here with a storm.just east of me. Downeast should get some good rain from it. Since this ongoing monsoon event started in right at 5 inches and the odd thing is almost all of it has fallen during the overnight or early morning hours. The first two big rains were between 12 and 2 am on back to back nights then again lastnight and again this morning around 730. Strange i have had no storms during the afternoon.

I have had 6" in the last 9 days. Agree its odd that all the rain for the most part has hit between midnight and 6am in that period. 

Still Sept 2010 is the winner for best monsoon southerly flow event we have seen....right at 20" in 3-4 days....

precip.20101001.gif.4d9535846658e7b211db2d64cc45e60b.gif