Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

17 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dews look like they run 60-65 Sunday evening until Tuesday AM when they ratchet up 

I wouldn’t necessarily go by BOX. The ground is wet and there’s no big sprawling NW flow push. It will be Lower yes, but 60’s

BDL, you're summer metric for heat/humidity, is at 57 DP and it's also 57 DP here currently. The ground here isn't wet, as it hasn't rained here since Friday.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Those are the only kind right?

Brought back some Treehouse to VT.  So far the Bright is my favorite I think.  Good summer DIPA with some citrus flavor.  

Doubleganger is the best I’ve had so far. 

Must be nice to be out of the tropics of CT though.

4 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

BDL, you're summer metric for heat/humidity, is at 57 DP and it's also 57 DP here currently. The ground here isn't wet, as it hasn't rained here since Friday.

It’s been a warm humid summer with a lot more on the way.

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Doubleganger is the best I’ve had so far. 

Must be nice to be out of the tropics of CT though.

I'm gonna try some Doubleganger tonight.  Got a couple cans of that from my dad...traded a variety of Stowe area beers for a variety of Treehouse.  I'll see how it is!

And while I love visiting family down there and floating the lake...but man it was humid down there.  Sometimes we have similar dews and temps but by and large it's 5-10F lower up here in VT it seems.  We were playing golf again on Friday morning when IJD was 82/75 at 10am and I was dripping with sweat walking around out there.  Just soaked.  Then look at the obs up north and it was like 72/66, which is humid to begin with.  I think living in the bubble up here I forget what that extra humidity does to the overall feel.  That 4-8F increase in dews in the means takes it to another level.  

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I'm gonna try some Doubleganger tonight.  Got a couple cans of that from my dad...traded a variety of Stowe area beers for a variety of Treehouse.  I'll see how it is!

And while I love visiting family down there and floating the lake...but man it was humid down there.  Sometimes we have similar dews and temps but by and large it's 5-10F lower up here in VT it seems.  We were playing golf again on Friday morning when IJD was 82/75 at 10am and I was dripping with sweat walking around out there.  Just soaked.  Then look at the obs up north and it was like 72/66, which is humid to begin with.  I think living in the bubble up here I forget what that extra humidity does to the overall feel.  That 4-8F increase in dews in the means takes it to another level.  

No doubt about that.  I was up in the Tamarack region of Maine last week and what was considered tropical humidity by the local folks just didn't meet my standard of oppressive. Many days were 78-83 during the day and 66-70 at night.  68-71 dews were bad but when dews are consistently hitting 73-77 down here with  during surges of tropical air it just didn't feel as oppressive and there was always a breeze by the lake where we were located.  

18 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

No doubt about that.  I was up in the Tamarack region of Maine last week and what was considered tropical humidity by the local folks just didn't meet my standard of oppressive. Many days were 78-83 during the day and 66-70 at night.  68-71 dews were bad but when dews are consistently hitting 73-77 down here with  during surges of tropical air it just didn't feel as oppressive and there was always a breeze by the lake where we were located.  

Really nice out there now, clear and calm with falling temperatures.  House cools off quickly this time of night.  Though there have been a lot of well mixed, southerly flow humid nights this summer.  Not as many cool/calm nights.

rEIarzu.jpg

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

As one would expect at the peak of summer heat. The climatological peak here is 7/31 and daylight loss is now over 2 minutes a day. 

I don’t agree.  This year the coc is less and the dews are more...at least per the impression of most of the people I know.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weathafella said:

I don’t agree.  This year the coc is less and the dews are more...at least per the impression of most of the people I know.

Most people think of their last two weeks, June was BN, first two weeks of july were low dews dry heat, its only become tropical the last 10 days, nice break before another 7- plus day stretch. Copious amount of precip again in the forecast days 5-8 then the pattern breaks and we get back to drier heat. Summer in New England

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Most people think of their last two weeks, June was BN, first two weeks of july were low dews dry heat, its only become tropical the last 10 days, nice break before another 7- plus day stretch. Copious amount of precip again in the forecast days 5-8 then the pattern breaks and we get back to drier heat. Summer in New England

My neighbors must be idiots in that case.  When I say most people I refer to friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers.   And sorry, 97/67 is not dry heat.  111/45 is.

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I consider any dewpoint that keeps the heat index the same as the air temp, or even lower, to be a dry heat. Anything that bumps the HI 5F or more above the ambient T as humid.

No one 97/67 thats a HI of 121. Boston had 6 days of BN mid month. Its recent bias in people's thinking.

31 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Correct. Been many coc before the heatwave which then was followed by the dews...it may ‘feel’ like it’s been like this all summer but it hasn’t. 

36 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Correct. Been many coc before the heatwave which then was followed by the dews...it may ‘feel’ like it’s been like this all summer but it hasn’t. 

What?  Most folks consider summer to start when the school year ends-around 6/20.  We’ve had COC but more dewy than most summers.

That is pretty classic post-mortem 'crowd noise' behavior that is common to this particular social media outlet.

Give it a few weeks passe some event that crawled up keesters the wrong way because they just hate it .....and then we get this steady diet of rationalized denials claiming how pedestrian and/or spinning it was something different than how much they resented it ... Wrong!  Suck it up -  

NO: We had 3 or 4 days soaring to 97 over steam-room 75's in that stretch in early July - let's not re-carve the pumpkin on that?   ...Jesus. 

But I suspect - or hope rather ... - folks are just goshin' anyway. 

Fascinating differences in the operational Euro and GFS runs as of late. 

The GFS ensemble lines  powerful hurricanes out of the Nino 1+2 region of the far E Pacific ... and I suspect (or wonder..) if that is what is contributing to the differences in these two model's mid range/extended synoptic evolution(s). 

The Euro doesn't have nearly as prolific a tropical handling in that regard. 

But the difference in that handling might atone for the GFS bigger more stubborn ridging near 110-100 or so W; all that latent heat dump from the exhaust of those majors' pulling seaward S of the Baja is helping to keep its heights large... Basic wave-length arguments then kick-in ...and the flow curves out troughy in the E... It's an indirect teleconnection to active E Pac hurricanes the cooling mid tropospheric regimes unfold over the eastern U.S./SE Canada.   

The Euro on the other hand... the flow is flatter... Both runs do have earlier mid-range 594 expansive WAR-related heights migrating W... but right after, the Euro keeps the ridge in the west weaker and in fact, shows a bit of a Sonoran release there...  This is true in the lesser dependable run types too...  

The GFS would not give any heat waves... and probably skips days at 90 followed by 80 and convection... The Euro is torridity...and possibly a day if not two in the strech (D4 thru 10) of big heat.  interesting... 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

So...June was cocked, july was not. 50/50, lets see what August does. 

Mid Month of July was what I remembered as being a COC week, dps at the station right near Kev at IJD recorded 2pm dps from the 7/7 to 7/13 of 46 53 62 60 62 52 53, then the 18th through the 21st was 57 51 57 57   rest of month was muggy and AN so we end up with 11 COC days 20 Muggy days, temps averaged plus 2.5,  rainfall AN days of yore typical summer

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

First 2 weeks of July were not low dews. We had that massive heat wave the first week of this month and many dew records were broken when many stations hit 80. #someonesbeendrinkingonaMondaymorning

first 2 weeks?  first week yes, 2nd week was low DPs check again #mrcraftbeersnob