Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

BOS had 2 straight days of this where they peaked at 77F dews. Looks fairly similar to 2001 to me. Go a little inland and I think this was worse.

I actually see the one 77F now...I overlooked it earlier....but only on July 3rd on the 2254z ob. If they hit it again, then it must have been in between hourly obs after 01z on the 4th just a few hours later. Additionally, they spent almost all of June 30th through July 2nd without hitting 70F dewpoint....save for about 4 hours early morning on the 1st. This 5 day stretch looks less impressive than Aug 2001 to me by a decent amount considering 2001 rarely dropped below 70F...and the peak 79F dew in 2001 occurred during the day too and not at night like this one did.

I haven't scoped a place like BED...perhaps they were more impressive. I only looked at BDL and BOS when commenting on Kevin's historic claim and both places look to fall short to me on that claim.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’ll add that I agree that this wasn’t anything record breaking for a lot of SNE. It’s tough to rank dews to begin with and then you can add in differences in instrumentation over the years...sling psychrometers to chilled mirrors, etc. This was definitely high end though. Does an event have to be record breaking to be historic though? Now we’re really getting into subjectiveness. 

Bottom line is the dews were over the top and sucked to deal with. It reminded me why I can’t move to the deep south. CAA FTW today.

Kevin claimed it was #1....if we measure historic as like top 5-10%, then I can agree it probably broke that lesser standard. But he actually said this was the worst of all time.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’ll add that I agree that this wasn’t anything record breaking for a lot of SNE. It’s tough to rank dews to begin with and then you can add in differences in instrumentation over the years...sling psychrometers to chilled mirrors, etc. This was definitely high end though. Does an event have to be record breaking to be historic though? Now we’re really getting into subjectiveness. 

Bottom line is the dews were over the top and sucked to deal with. It reminded me why I can’t move to the deep south. CAA FTW today.

Fair assessment here...

I think though that what rubs some the wrong way ...is the "appearance" of patterning by some, and that bias - whether real or not - triggers petty resent.

Some that seem to come to life when it's winter, tend to swoop in and remind us all that we're not as miserable as we may think because this "isn't really historic" ... or 1,000 Davis machines don't work...  I'm kidding here -  but, it does come across and disingenuous.  And, there are many times when someone is being 'imby' about their perception, too - which is another annoying read for anyone sitting in 98/76... 

Bottom line, folks just get petty kinds of offended - which they really shouldn't but it is what is..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Historic yes ,of all time though? Yea no. Certainly was brutal but I wouldn't know as I was under water or in AC for a week. Nights were fantastic for outdoor parties

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I used a sling during my intern days with the RI state climatologist.  Amazing how far we have come.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Fair assessment here...

I think though that what rubs some the wrong way ...is the "appearance" of patterning by some, and that bias - whether real or not - triggers petty resent.

Some that seem to come to life when it's winter, tend to swoop in and remind us all that we're not as miserable as we may think because this "isn't really historic" ... or 1,000 Davis machines don't work...  I'm kidding here -  but, it does come across and disingenuous.  And, there are many times when someone is being 'imby' about their perception, too - which is another annoying read for anyone sitting in 98/76... 

Bottom line, folks just get petty kinds of offended - which they really shouldn't but it is what is..

I don't think it is weird to measure temperature streaks empirically...we can still acknowledge the high impact and anomalous nature of it while at the same time saying maybe it wasn't the "worst of all time"....a claim I was originally rebutting. We do it all the time in winter with cold snaps...we'll compare them to the 2004 cold snap, or 1994, or even epic ones like 1943 or the monthly cold of 1934 (which we often did in Feb 2015)....if we fail to break the cold barrier set in February 1943 or December 1933, does it mean we are downplaying the cold? I don't think so...many of us were impressed by the cold last winter after Xmas and around New Years even if it couldn't match 1933 or 1917.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Fair assessment here...

I think though that what rubs some the wrong way ...is the "appearance" of patterning by some, and that biases triggers petty resent.

Some that seem to come to life when it's winter, tend to swoop in and remind us all that we're not as miserable as we may think because this "isn't really historic" ... it does come across and disingenuous.  And, there are many times when someone is being 'imby' about their perception - which is another annoying read for anyone sitting in 98/76... 

Tip hate to tell ya this after all these years but in reality nobody is offended.  Hope some day you "get it"

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Lawrence laughs at Methuen.

D4FF550E-8386-498D-85FE-11161554D20A.jpeg

Yeah and I'm laughing at those temps. I actually do not live all that far from the airport. The temps at the airport  have run on the high side for years especially so during the summer and winter months.  As does  the precip report during storms. I can't even begin to tell you how many times the report reads rain when it has actually been snowing. I wouldn't trust that site for reports. Someone long ago should have taken a look at what is causing the false readings out of that site.

And I will admit that as a big statistics guy, I have less appetite for hyperbole than many on here...so I will typically respond to claims like "#1" or "worst of all time" if I see them and try to match them to empirical evidence to see if they have any weight. Maybe that makes me a grouch....

There's no doubt that this was a high impact heat event for SNE though...as I originally stated in my first reply to Kevin. This was probably the worst for SNE as a whole since 2010 (maybe parts of SNE for 2013) and was likely a top 5 for heat/humidity/longevity combo since 1988.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't think it is weird to measure temperature streaks empirically...we can still acknowledge the high impact and anomalous nature of it while at the same time saying maybe it wasn't the "worst of all time"....a claim I was originally rebutting. We do it all the time in winter with cold snaps...we'll compare them to the 2004 cold snap, or 1994, or even epic ones like 1943 or the monthly cold of 1934 (which we often did in Feb 2015)....if we fail to break the cold barrier set in February 1943 or December 1933, does it mean we are downplaying the cold? I don't think so...many of us were impressed by the cold last winter after Xmas and around New Years even if it couldn't match 1933 or 1917.

Ok...well, I agree - things should be measured empirically...

".. folks just get petty kinds of offended - which they really shouldn't but it is what is.. .." 

One of those causal links to vitriol is timing - it's not very tactful to come in and start abasing heat ritualistically - and I'm not saying that is you or any one in particular.  It's the perception of it, made worse by that timing.. particularly when suffering actually did take place.

Not saying it's right that people react one way or the other.   Heh, ultimately, ...we're dealing with joe-latariate here -

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

And I will admit that as a big statistics guy, I have less appetite for hyperbole than many on here...so I will typically respond to claims like "#1" or "worst of all time" if I see them and try to match them to empirical evidence to see if they have any weight. Maybe that makes me a grouch....

There's no doubt that this was a high impact heat event for SNE though...as I originally stated in my first reply to Kevin. This was probably the worst for SNE as a whole since 2010 (maybe parts of SNE for 2013) and was likely a top 5 for heat/humidity/longevity combo since 1988.

All the cold all the time? Vacation ovah? No just reality check on our resident hypemeister

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was 1 day...friggin mesowest got me with their displaying of 25hrs of obs when you select 24hr since the 77F happened around 23z. Bastards.

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

If my memory is serving me well there was only one "official" below zero reading at LWM during the severe cold outbreak during late December into January. The temps there have been off for years.

Looks like they had 3 lows below 0 (though one of them was a cheap midnight low)....but I agree it looks kind of suspicious given that BVY on the water had 4 and BED to the southwest had 6...and the other two had mins lower than LWM. BVY shouldn't be going lower....maybe BED if they radiated better, but even on the non-rad nights, they were getting a lot lower.

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like they had 3 lows below 0 (though one of them was a cheap midnight low)....but I agree it looks kind of suspicious given that BVY on the water had 4 and BED to the southwest had 6...and the other two had mins lower than LWM. BVY shouldn't be going lower....maybe BED if they radiated better, but even on the non-rad nights, they were getting a lot lower.

Maybe some kind of UHI? MHT doesn’t radiate anymore either, but get a bit away from downtown and it’s a different story.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Maybe some kind of UHI? MHT doesn’t radiate anymore either, but get a bit away from downtown and it’s a different story.

Yeah hard to say...it's on the northeast side of town on the east side of the Merrimack with most of the downtown on the west side and very little development to the east. It seems a west wind off downtown could inflate them. BVY airport is well on the northwest edge of town in contrast away from both the urban center and the water...so it's possible they could come in colder than LWM.

Nice drink for the lawn and garden this morning.  .47"

74/56.  Wow,  dews just crashing right now.  All of you south of me  (that's 95% of the board) are in for quite a treat this evening.  56F dew feels SO good.  Windows wide open and just cool, refreshness blowing through.  Tomorrow is going to be such a treat for everyone,  80F with dews in the 40's!  Now we got to work on somehow getting a slow moving tropical depression to work up the coast next week to give a region wide 2 day soak.