Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Did the chickens survive? The amount of red tails, coopers hawks this year is amazing. I see a bunch every morning. 2 years ago a huge one attacked our deaf malamute and injuried him Now when we leave the small dogs have a 12 by 12 deck gazebo near the doggie door they are confined to. I noticed my neighbors chickens seem to be less.  Dont know if they became 4th barbecue, heat stress or hawk food. I told him but they free range.

Insane number of rabbits and chipmunks in my neighborhood right now.  I expect the population of hawks, owls, foxes, fishers, coyotes, etc. to get a nice bump.

Lots of available food.

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

With such high dews I never got below 71 in the house. Time for a AC break tomorrow,  windows wide open to let the glorious fresh air in.

Low clouds are screaming SW to NE with high cirrus, midlevel stratus and breaks of blue above ut oh

My window AC was set to 60F and it only was able to get 1/2 the 1st floor down to 73F.  No way I'm opening windows right now. DP is 73 and has been 72-73 for like 30 hrs straight now. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Insane number of rabbits and chipmunks in my neighborhood right now.  I expect the population of hawks, owls, foxes, fishers, coyotes, etc. to get a nice bump.

Lots of available food.

yes, what's up with all the chipmunks this year. they're everywhere. grey squirrels too.

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Baked ground won’t absorb as well? In desert storms, flash floods can happen with very small rainfalls...not that I expect any flash flooding in SNE from these

I think it's urban issues more than anything.  

You get a quick half inch to an inch and then you see photos of two cars stuck under a bridge on 128 with water up to their windows.  

But anywhere that isn't all concrete is fine.

14 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s opinion based . But these were record dews. I think you’ll agree 

I think August 1988 has it beat for "thickness" (Thanks, Tip) and dews.  For the 2 weeks 8/2-15, Boston averaged 92/74, which was 10° AN for the period.  A July/August day at+10 is hot; 2 weeks of that much departure is incredible.  (In midsummer.  In January, just another thaw.)  I don't have SNE dews, but PWM's reached 77, their highest ever recorded, on either the 4th or 5th, and 11-12 wasn't much lower.

I think NNE took the cake in this one.  

It was hot, with yesterday 1° from just my 2nd 90+ in 12 years, but overall Maine's share of the heat seemed less anomalous than farther west.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I think August 1988 has it beat for "thickness" (Thanks, Tip) and dews.  For the 2 weeks 8/2-15, Boston averaged 92/74, which was 10° AN for the period.  A July/August day at+10 is hot; 2 weeks of that much departure is incredible.  (In midsummer.  In January, just another thaw.)  I don't have SNE dews, but PWM's reached 77, their highest ever recorded, on either the 4th or 5th, and 11-12 wasn't much lower.

I think NNE took the cake in this one.  

It was hot, with yesterday 1° from just my 2nd 90+ in 12 years, but overall Maine's share of the heat seemed less anomalous than farther west.

That makes sense synoptically too...slightly lower heights to the east and the core of the heat seemed to go west through this area, NY, and into Quebec.  We get Montreal radio stations here and they were all talking about long term record breaking heat though I have no details on that.  

I think that's also why Mansfield baked and hit all-time type highs, while MWN fell a half degree short of the all-time record being a bit further east.  

I just still can't believe MVL put up 4 of 5 days of 90+ with the other day being 88F.  It's just so rare for even 1 or 2 days at that level... and it's usually in May or September with dry heat after a low of like 50F.  Not a humid 92F.  

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Lots of available food.

It's not joke ... We have the same population explosion of rabbits at chipmunks over here around my town too..  Most days upon returning from work, wheel the car into the drive and rabbits start a-bounding in every direction.  And actually, they've gotten rather used to mine and my neighbor's arrivals, growing increasingly more brazen and instead of bounding, the just slowly chew while eying you from one side of their non-biocular heads ... There can be as many as three or even four in my yard or the neighbor's ... and our street is only a couple blocks from a minor urban thoroughfare ..which is odd.  Rabbits in my mind should be known for their timidity ... 

Where did they come from?  I often ride bike trails that go on for 10 or 20 miles and the chipmunks are scurrying along the sides and across the path as you go, like opening a door to a barn and sending field mice into a frenzy.  Weird... 

You know, ...there are pathogens that get spread by rodentia... I mean, does this set stage for some mutation to spring out and jump species.  interesting... It's not so Sci-Fi far-fetched ... Some horrible thing erupts - call it the "PHlem" ... or Purple Hemorrhagic Long Enterovirus .. heh, but it's virulency is unusual potent with high mortality ...like a a new 'black death...'...  They ultimately link it to rabbits... where it's dormant because for that species they are relatively immune... And it ultimately comes from a type of tick or some other insect that don't actually bite humans - being the irony.. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

My window AC was set to 60F and it only was able to get 1/2 the 1st floor down to 73F.  No way I'm opening windows right now. DP is 73 and has been 72-73 for like 30 hrs straight now. 

Um tomorrow open windows sorry for the confusion lol

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We can start tonight.

Will take a while to dry the fauna.

Lol Tip and his end of world posts. We had an explosion of squirrels and rabbits 2 years ago, now we have lots of predators and not so many small prey. Circle of life ,like climate.