Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Looks like peak here is this week but unfortunately the weather missed the memo but there are 50 days at least of what i consider summer weather down here. The big pond like to keep us back end loaded with warmth

Screenshot_20180731-140135_Chrome.jpg

Yup.  Why September is a good vacation time especially the first half.

34 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'm referring to the average high/low temps for the day historically.  Thought what I was referring to was pretty evident in how I worded it originally.  Apparently not.  Now referring to the current and upcoming pattern, it will be above average it would appear, I agree so that is going against historical data.

nah, I prolly arrived in the middle of something there... 

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Congrats on ave 33 inches snow Jan to April

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s not bad.  Another 10 November and December and we have a season.   But yeah I picked up on that...

It was actually 34...then 10 more is 44. That's pretty accurate for BOS, though the newer '91-'20 normal is prob gonna have to be bumped up a good 2"+.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Cept we can do a hundred things more in cold weather and be comfortable, always put more on , in HHH only so much you can take off and we are limited in our strenuous activities. As someone said Kevin has never run his route at 92/71

Preachin' to the choir, but everyone has the right to be wrong if they want

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Cept we can do a hundred things more in cold weather and be comfortable, always put more on , in HHH only so much you can take off and we are limited in our strenuous activities. As someone said Kevin has never run his route at 92/71

I would argue otherwise.  It’s safer walking in warm wx vs cold.  It’s safer for the elderly in warm vs cold and that’s a medical fact.  Yes few fools exercise vigorously in 92/71 but hanging out in 12 degree wx is exceedingly tough on the cardiovascular system. 

Me-I like it really hot or really cold.  Gimme record heat or cold.  But nothing trumps snow.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I would argue otherwise.  It’s safer walking in warm wx vs cold.  It’s safer for the elderly in warm vs cold and that’s a medical fact.  Yes few fools exercise vigorously in 92/71 but hanging out in 12 degree wx is exceedingly tough on the cardiovascular system. 

Me-I like it really hot or really cold.  Gimme record heat or cold.  But nothing trumps snow.

Correct oh wise one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2016/12/17/cold-temperatures-kill-more-americans-than-hot-ones-cdc-data-show/

40 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Perhaps, but my mother passed away shortly after the blackout in 2003. She was living at home with a tracheotomy and suffered greatly with the heat and humidity.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Safer to walk? lol yea I guess so if you don't live in the south side of Chicago but i was talking about vigorous exercise

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Safer to walk? lol yea I guess so if you don't live in the south side of Chicago but i was talking about vigorous exercise

What’s vigorous?  I’m not going to pretend I could do what I did 15 years ago.  You have to remember not only are your bones in their 70s your heart is too.   And Chicago south side folks do what they can-not sure the point of bringing that comparison into the conversation.   I’m out now on a 4 mile walk.  A bit sweaty but feeling fine.  I admit I do that in the cold but for most my age it’s ill advised.

59 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What’s vigorous?  I’m not going to pretend I could do what I did 15 years ago.  You have to remember not only are your bones in their 70s your heart is too.   And Chicago south side folks do what they can-not sure the point of bringing that comparison into the conversation.   I’m out now on a 4 mile walk.  A bit sweaty but feeling fine.  I admit I do that in the cold but for most my age it’s ill advised.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, OceanStWx said:

Now the Iowa Environmental Mesonet did a post a while back on the coldest 91 days, to define when spring officially begins across the country. Our climate puts us in a similar position to northern MI (cold lakes delaying the start of spring). Now it's not a perfect proxy for summer weather, but if you take their plotter for the warmest 91 days for APN (they don't have this plot available outside of the Midwest), you get Sept 8th as the end of summer.

So I'm a day late.  :o
Aren't the seasonal changes earlier in mid-continent than at places closer to the coast?  :P

Peak summer, to me, is a plateau rather than a peak.  For my temps that plateau runs July 9-August 8, as my warmest day averages 65.9 and that 31-day span has averages within 1° or less of that "peak."   (The winter within-1° "valley" is much narrower - Jan 18-25.)

Another evolution of Coc k. Now dews over 60 and temps in the 80’s fit the definition. Noted 

This ignores what I might call "weather relativity."   At my location, a sunny 85/62 on June 1st would feel gross.  In late July after several days of 70+ dews, that same combo is CoC.

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

So I'm a day late.  :o
Aren't the seasonal changes earlier in mid-continent than at places closer to the coast?  :P

Peak summer, to me, is a plateau rather than a peak.  For my temps that plateau runs July 9-August 8, as my warmest day averages 65.9 and that 31-day span has averages within 1° or less of that "peak."   (The winter within-1° "valley" is much narrower - Jan 18-25.)

Another evolution of Coc k. Now dews over 60 and temps in the 80’s fit the definition. Noted 

This ignores what I might call "weather relativity."   At my location, a sunny 85/62 on June 1st would feel gross.  In late July after several days of 70+ dews, that same combo is CoC.

This term nails it.  So-called CoC weather changes relative to seasonal expectations.  What would be considered great weather during April probably wouldn't be looked at the same way in July.

It's amazing how much time is spent ironing out invented terms of this weather-related social media.  

Be it 'bahama blue' ...  'blue bomb' ... 'coc' ... 'big heat' ... 'big cold' ... whatever it is, people have to keep replaying the same conversation, over and over and over again, when there can really be no one-size fits all definition for any of these - it may not be the best way to describe them, but they are "kitschy" terms... accessible to the hoi polloi as the gravy of the weather, less the mathematics of numbers...  

They're all subjective.   just say that...  

Anytime in January it's not snowing in this crowd?  Seems like it's BIG HEAT (with a frosting of subversive trolling ...)  

In the summer, 'big heat' has to be particularly apocalyptic for those same folk' to admit it, too, because what they're really doing in their 'Anti-S.A.D' misery and resent of summer fair is bargaining. Yup, as opposed to accepting the torment over the season they loathe through, it's pretty simple:  if they have to admit it's hot = admit it's not winter - oh not consciously - duh. But they gotta diminish the impact to get away from the reality and erode the bitters in mind.   

Then there are those whose attitudes so sloped the other way, big heat is anything > 88 ... a normal number, really. Because they 'want' the big heat... haha..  it's all so deliciously predictable... 

Truth be told, weather is something that for some fascinating reason, cannot ever be truly objectively defined.  One with their foot in the door of education or general-purposed enlightenment might even wonder if the 'type' of climate that is preferred could even be instinctual to some 'degree'... Maybe one's ancestors evolved in a region that say ... needed a certain growth/hunting factors for success, so over successive generations, ... genetic markers favorably evolved to hone when it is time to plant or shoot arrows, etc..  Replete with dopamine releases and that whole reward cycling and so forth... 

That blurb up there about 'Anti-S.A.D.' is a real phenomenon recently identified by the greater school of Psycho-babble sciences though.  It's interesting reading really...but for some 20% of the population, they are impacted with the same sort of seasonally affected issues, but at the other end of the spectrum; i.e., they loathe the long day light and sunnier warm weather that the 80% draws inspiration from.  I've speculated in the past that those in this weather hobby ... lust for dystopian antics by the forces of nature, might just share in some of the 20% ... if perhaps purified by the crucible of time, found in abundance here.  I think I'm in that twenty percent too - heh.  Although... it's both for me - I loathe April because the winter was usually disappointing and left too much on the field so to speak... So our reward for being shirked, we get days not long enough and still pointlessly cold - but not just cold... wet and cold.  I almost can take either in abundance, but together? Egh... caustic to the soul.  Then, the day's really get long and May - in well-behaved years - starts warming up and I'm in full tilt and happy again.  I'm neutral about autumns, though... if I start getting down from the loss of light, that TC on the charts and tracking the first winter air mass potential seems to correct that..  

It's true for all this stuff... they're just subjective terms that more or less resonate in the mind of the reader - caveat emptor... 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's amazing how much time is spent ironing out invented terms of this weather-related social media.  

Be it 'bahama blue' ...  'blue bomb' ... 'coc' ... 'big heat' ... 'big cold' ... whatever it is, people have to keep replaying the same conversation, over and over and over again, when there can really be no one-size fits all definition for any of these - it may not be the best way to describe them, but they are "kitschy" terms... accessible to the hoi polloi as the gravy of the weather, less the mathematics of numbers...  

They're all subjective.   just say that...  

Anytime in January it's not snowing in this crowd?  Seems like it's BIG HEAT (with a frosting of subversive trolling ...)  

In the summer, 'big heat' has to be particularly apocalyptic for those same folk' to admit it, too, because what they're really doing in their 'Anti-S.A.D' misery and resent of summer fair is bargaining. Yup, as opposed to accepting the torment over the season they loathe through, it's pretty simple:  if they have to admit it's hot = admit it's not winter - oh not consciously - duh. But they gotta diminish the impact to get away from the reality and erode the bitters in mind.   

Then there are those whose attitudes so sloped the other way, big heat is anything > 88 ... a normal number, really. Because they 'want' the big heat... haha..  it's all so deliciously predictable... 

Truth be told, weather is something that for some fascinating reason, cannot ever be truly objectively defined.  One with their foot in the door of education or general-purposed enlightenment might even wonder if the 'type' of climate that is preferred could even be instinctual to some 'degree'... Maybe one's ancestors evolved in a region that say ... needed a certain growth/hunting factors for success, so over successive generations, ... genetic markers favorably evolved to hone when it is time to plant or shoot arrows, etc..  Replete with dopamine releases and that whole reward cycling and so forth... 

That blurb up there about 'Anti-S.A.D.' is a real phenomenon recently identified by the greater school of Psycho-babble sciences though.  It's interesting reading really...but for some 20% of the population, they are impacted with the same sort of seasonally affected issues, but at the other end of the spectrum; i.e., they loathe the long day light and sunnier warm weather that the 80% draws inspiration from.  I've speculated in the past that those in this weather hobby ... lust for dystopian antics by the forces of nature, might just share in some of the 20% ... if perhaps purified by the crucible of time, found in abundance here.  I think I'm in that twenty percent too - heh.  Although... it's both for me - I loathe April because the winter was usually disappointing and left too much on the field so to speak... So our reward for being shirked, we get days not long enough and still pointlessly cold - but not just cold... wet and cold.  I almost can take either in abundance, but together? Egh... caustic to the soul.  Then, the day's really get long and May - in well-behaved years - starts warming up and I'm in full tilt and happy again.  I'm neutral about autumns, though... if I start getting down from the loss of light, that TC on the charts and tracking the first winter air mass potential seems to correct that..  

It's true for all this stuff... they're just subjective terms that more or less resonate in the mind of the reader - caveat emptor... 

I think I have some "anti-SAD" tendencies. I like all kinds of weather, but don't like to be bored with long stretches of beautiful weather. There's probably few places in the world where people live that experience stormy conditions once a week regardless of season. Thinking snow storms in winter and wind-driven rain storms in warmer seasons. Maybe Patagonia region? We can have some good stretches here but I like my plate of enjoyable weather with a touch of pepper to keep things interesting. Too bland for my taste otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...