Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

34 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That is pretty classic post-mortem 'crowd noise' behavior that is common to this particular social media outlet.

Give it a few weeks passe some event that crawled up keesters the wrong way because they just hate it .....and then we get this steady diet of rationalized denials claiming how pedestrian and/or spinning it was something different than how much they resented it ... Wrong!  Suck it up -  

NO: We had 3 or 4 days soaring to 97 over steam-room 75's in that stretch in early July - let's not re-carve the pumpkin on that?   ...Jesus. 

But I suspect - or hope rather ... - folks are just goshin' anyway. 

#psychobabble

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Most folks start summer memorial day weekend and end it labor day weekend.  

Memorial Day?  Oh I forgot-you’re in the banana belt.  I personally don’t count on consistent nice wx before the solstice.  Eg: I won’t go to a night game at Fenway before mid June.

Just now, dryslot said:

Technically i guess, Up here, Even up to July 4th can still be garbage.

Coastal towns in SNE summer usually really starts with traditional solstice and ends the same, interior areas follow the met summer start but tend to end a bit earlier. That big pond plays a huge role

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Coastal towns in SNE summer usually really starts with traditional solstice and ends the same, interior areas follow the met summer start but tend to end a bit earlier. That big pond plays a huge role

Exactly!  It’s not summer here 6/1.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think most want to try to jump start summer around memorial day, That's typically the time frame that most open up there summer places up here, But yeah, The ocean plays a large roll in warmer weather along the coast and inland until mid June or so, In NW Maine, There has been many years where ice out on lakes and ponds isn't until the first week of June.............lol

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I think most want to try to jump start summer around memorial day, That's typically the time frame that most open up there summer places up here, But yeah, The ocean plays a large roll in warmer weather along the coast and inland until mid June or so, In NW Maine, There has been many years where ice out on lakes and ponds isn't until the first week of June.............lol

September is by far my favorite summer month for swimming and beach activities down here as much as March is for my winter activities up there

16 hours ago, weathafella said:

It’s been a warm humid summer with a lot more on the way.

True, if one ignores the first 90% of June, with its early chill then lots of CoC.  A good bit this month as well, with 9 mornings sub-50 (average here is 7), though this past week's tropics pushed the average minima from 1.1 BN to 1.3 AN.

That 121 HX must come from assuming the 67 is rh, which at 97° would be a TD of around 85.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tamarack said:

True, if one ignores the first 90% of June, with its early chill then lots of CoC.  A good bit this month as well, with 9 mornings sub-50 (average here is 7), though this past week's tropics pushed the average minima from 1.1 BN to 1.3 AN.

That 121 HX must come from assuming the 67 is rh, which at 97° would be a TD of around 85.

You include June too?   Maybe back in our home in NNJ but you’re barely out of snow season!

Just now, weathafella said:

It is.  Doesn’t affect me mid summer now but it sure sucks in spring including a good chunk of June.

Growing up in NJ summer always kicked off memorial day weekend. You know this. Even in SNE, besides EMA i guess, that is the case. Early June is summer, always has been. It’s like saying Early December is winter even though it is not. 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Agreed.  June may have even been a tick below normal here.  That was a very nice month with a bunch of mins in the 30s and even some scattered frost in NVT/NNH/NME.

July has been warm and humid but like I said in another post, the humid up here isn't on the same level as south of the Pike for sure or even SNE.  

We did have the all-time heat and humidity up here in early July and enough records to back up that claim.

34 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Agreed, when I first saw the posts proclaiming a warm, humid summer, it immediately smacked of recency bias and the typical agenda-driven drivel we get in a lot of posts here.  Let’s just conveniently forget about the weeks and weeks of discussion about the June weather.  Starting in astronomical summer puts it in much better perspective.  Entering the period later does reduce the amount of summer we’ve actually had from which to draw the conclusions though.

11 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Agreed, when I first saw the posts proclaiming a warm, humid summer, it immediately smacked of recency bias and the typical agenda-driven drivel we get in a lot of posts here.  Let’s just conveniently forget about the weeks and weeks of discussion about the June weather.  Starting in astronomical summer puts it in much better perspective.  Entering the period later does reduce the amount of summer we’ve actually had from which to draw the conclusions though.

Up in our neck of the woods...

June was -2.7 at MVL and -2.8 at MPV.  

July is +1.6 at MVL and +2.3 at MPV.  

Thus, so far met summer is actually running below normal which is a little surprising to me.  

June was relatively cool but not wet.  Just great air masses.  We had 8 days with a min of 40F or lower at MVL.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’ll tell you what-I’ll qualify my statement by saying summer in metro Boston has been warm and humid.  

It’s been a warm to to hot summer to date and certainly humid. I recall several of those days in the north country where Freak was closing windows and shawling up in June where it was muggy in SNE 

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Do you expect summer wx reliably the first week in June?  Or for that matter is winter over 3/1?   Let’s go be reality vs a label.

I'm just saying when all the end of summer stats come out in the news and NWS in early September , it's going to be JJA.  

If you want to call summer the time when it's hot and humid then yes, summer has been hot and humid ha.

Some June's are really warm up this way.  I guess you can call it spring though?  I mean it was upper 70s to mid-40s for the June mean.  

I would leave it as July has been overall warm and humid and leave it at that lol.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s been a warm to to hot summer to date and certainly humid. I recall several of those days in the north country where Freak was closing windows and shawling up in June where it was muggy in SNE 

Yeah no arguement there.  Like I posted last night, we are in a different climate.  We are more like a HIE/BML than we are CON.  

My opinion is going to be different.  It has been a warm and humid July up here too relative to normal, though we get more breaks from it than further south.  Like last night when it was in the 50s by 9pm at MVL/MPV/HIE/BML while the rest of New England was mid 60s to mid 70s.  

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah no arguement there.  Like I posted last night, we are in a different climate.  We are more like a HIE/BML than we are CON.  

My opinion is going to be different.  It has been a warm and humid July up here too relative to normal, though we get more breaks from it than further south.  Like last night when it was in the 50s by 9pm at MVL/MPV/HIE/BML while the rest of New England was mid 60s to mid 70s.  

Our climate here used to be yours.. now you have ours and we are more like NJ or NYC as things continue warming