Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I think August 1988 has it beat for "thickness" (Thanks, Tip) and dews.  For the 2 weeks 8/2-15, Boston averaged 92/74, which was 10° AN for the period.  A July/August day at+10 is hot; 2 weeks of that much departure is incredible.  (In midsummer.  In January, just another thaw.)  I don't have SNE dews, but PWM's reached 77, their highest ever recorded, on either the 4th or 5th, and 11-12 wasn't much lower.

I think NNE took the cake in this one.  

It was hot, with yesterday 1° from just my 2nd 90+ in 12 years, but overall Maine's share of the heat seemed less anomalous than farther west.

I'm willing to extend trophies for misery (haha) to whom ever needs those sore-butt, grousing rights ...

However, it was truly difficult to breath down here for a couple of these days this last week. I don't recall that scale and degree (pun intended...) in many years... 

We had 98/76 routine enough among metro west of Boston and up along rt 2 and into southern NH that when combined with that sensible fact, and that you couldn't really realistically spend much time out of doors at all before surreal kicked in, ...mm, pretty much gives a nod to legitimacy with ranking there... 

I get the whole it's 103 on this day and that day this did not do that?  But, I also sense some some agenda/need to rasp at the significance of it, and downplay this thing - for whatever reason.

I will say though... I've noticed that standards of physical living have limited weather events from being as injurious to the hoi polloi of civility.  I.e., AC is more ubiquitous.  More and more homes are retro-fitted and/or being built with time tried and truly efficient environmental controls.   Cold and hot..? They are not going to be as problematic as a "standard level concern," like they were in 1911, 1940, 1955, '75...etc ...  2012 was bad though.  This is really true for wind and snow and rain...too.  Those are more likely to impact than temperature as a matter of course... but, we are still better off as a standard of living across the board of needed defenses against the elements of nature.  They have to be 'that' much more proportionately violent, more absurdly rare, to really incur the same damage that they would have 100 or even 50 years ago. 

So what I'm getting at is, it is easier feel less awed.. perhaps to "mock" ...even if that is not the intent, the significance of a whatever is at hand, because we are sort of guided in our unconscious and to some degree, front and center awareness, of those annuls and cinema of the past when that stuff perhaps mattered more and was thus intrinsically more drama evocative.  We hear the headlines now, and it's hard to breath from our AC cars...across the parking lot, to the meat lock drug store stop and back...  Wow - that was close! Phew.. But that comparison falters

98/75+ is very rare... We did that, albeit arguable to some, several days this week...  Rare + several days?  Rare + several days?     That should really be the focus...

Not saying this to you - per se, Tam' just some morning arm-chair QB'ing

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A list of some records with this latest heat wave.

Another one I didn't know was that BTV's 6 straight days of 90F or greater tied their 2nd longest streak since 1883.

Mount Mansfield hit the record max of 84F twice.

36686736_2064699356935288_30717562678872

A more global story

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/red-hot-planet-all-time-heat-records-have-been-set-all-over-the-world-during-the-past-week/ar-AAzxdnO?ocid=spartanntp

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

0.27" total. Trying to get the NWrlies in here. They've made it through 1P1 so it should be any minute. Still 70F dews from LEB to BML so it'll be awhile before it gets comfortable .

73/58 with 20mph winds at FSO must feel nice.

Kicked in here about an hour ago along with the clearing.  Nice is an understatement.

spectacular.jpeg