Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

46 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The shape/location of the ridge wasn't ideal for SNE to max out temps...it sent the best stuff around us into NY State and then east into NNE and Quebec.

Yeah, the really impressive stats all seem to be coming out of NNE.  Just look at the Mt Mansfield numbers - that is impressive.  MWN got so close too.

Down here it's been a good stretch, particularly with the humidity.  Looking back though, it seems like we went through something longer in July 2015 with 11 straight days having lows around 70.

32 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

we were at 99F on 7/22/11. Not even close today at 90.1f

Same and much lower dews.   Sunday broke it by a full degree with big time dews.  Previous HI record on my PWS was actually 9/11/13 and beat that by several degrees. 

PWS aside, the AWOS measurements at ORE and EEN were off the charts.  I don't know what the dews were like in 1911, but you'd be hard pressed to find hotter days in the valley.

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Its a great area, No bugs when i'm snowmobiling up that way in the winter, But need to watch for deer in the trail though................:(

Or moose. Managed to see a female one while riding with someone on a logging road.

Definitely a fun network of trails to ride an ATV on!

Just now, WxBlue said:

Or moose. Managed to see a female while riding with someone on a logging road.

Definitely a fun network of trails to ride an ATV on!

The trail system in Maine is quite expansive, Seen a few moose in the winter, But the deer yard up when its cold so seeing 10-20 on the trail is pretty common and can be dangerous.

Sweet chamber weekend on tap then some heat muggy on Tues Wed then looks like a rainy stretch. Nothing comparable to this past week shown on any model other than Tuesday,  so lets put that another week long heat wave stuff away. July heat but not historic as some seem to want to say.

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Maybe, but it doesn’t mean Davis ones are made up 

A lot of davis sites will pull a dew in the high 70s to around 80 when ASOS is like 71-72F. That's muggy, but not all that eye-opening. If you can tick that up 4-6F, then we're talking more impressive. Plus the davis sites are highly affected by a person's yard so it's not as consistent as the ASOS sites which are all in open areas that are more well mixed.

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

A lot of davis sites will pull a dew in the high 70s to around 80 when ASOS is like 71-72F. That's muggy, but not all that eye-opening. If you can tick that up 4-6F, then we're talking more impressive. Plus the davis sites are highly affected by a person's yard so it's not as consistent as the ASOS sites which are all in open areas that are more well mixed.

Keene had a heat index of 116 @ 6pm earlier This week. That was high 70 dews , or site is sketchy

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

Yes but when I posted last night it was 71

Fair enough, though Jeffrey's is almost in NH.  I doubt BHB or points east are anywhere near 70, unless one measures in 6" of water just before the tide starts coming back in.  Also, I agree that the coastal water throughout New England is warm compared to average for the date.
(Have not sampled said water in over 20 years, but used to with some frequency earlier, and only once did I think the temp might be 70+, in Otter Cove [Acadia] on 8/2/75, about 3 PM on the day BHB reached 101.  That's their hottest, by 5°, since records began 70 years ago.)

10 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I had an 81 the other day on my Davis as well, I mean 77+ is all horrible so whats a point or 2 among friends?

When I see yours, mine, And then Scooters and Dendrites all hit 80 twice in 2 days this week ..it means it was all very real. Especially from the latter 2 who have always been the biggest doubters and accusers 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah definitely is.  

There are some big records that have fallen...not just like the daily max record for the day. 

Moreso for VT/NH.  Noteworthy in Maine but less historic.  PWM did set a record yesterday, but 90 in July was a pretty easy mark to beat.  Dews have been nasty, but my memory puts this one behind July 2013 and Aug/Sept 2010 for sustained 70+.  (And both bow to August 1988.)

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

Just got back from camping near Jackman, Maine. Wow, y'all weren't kidding about bugs up there. 

Blackflies were probably trending down, but mosquitos and mingies (no-see-ums) are at peak - though they avoid the heat.  However, deerflies thrive on it, and I'm sure you were getting firebombed by those beasts.
If you enjoy river canoeing, you might consider the Moose River bow trip next time you're in that area.  For the price of a 1-mile carry (gains about 150' elev before dropping half of that by launching into Holeb) between Attean and Holeb Ponds, one can have a 2-3 day trip that ends right where it begins.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

For those living in caves at Stowe’s summit...

This has been impressive.  We've gone whole summers without hitting 90F and will do it like 4 times this week.  

The 95F at BML in NNH is also crazy as the hottest temp recorded on that ASOS.  Also BTV with a new all-time record high min.

All set with this heat after this.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

This has been impressive.  We've gone whole summers without hitting 90F and will do it like 4 times this week.  

The 95F at BML in NNH is also crazy as the hottest temp recorded on that ASOS.  Also BTV with a new all-time record high min.

All set with this heat after this.

It has been for you and the north, no debate. but it’s been just another heatwave for those closer to the water.