Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

12 hours ago, weathafella said:

Check out the ocean temperatures nearby up and down the coast.  >70 all of New England and upper 70s and even an 83 in NYC nearby waters.  And signs of WAR trying to join up with mid to west continental ridge as we go deeper into July. 

Only if New England ends at Cape Anne.  ;)
GYX site only shows Jeffrey's Ledge (69) at 11 AM, but air temps at Mt. Desert/Matinicus Rocks (63, 67 respectively) suggests Maine waters remain well short of 70.

87 yesterday, as lower dews/clear skies allowed more heating.  Dews nearly 10° higher today.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

GYX site only shows Jeffrey's Ledge (69) at 11 AM, but air temps at Mt. Desert/Matinicus Rocks (63, 67 respectively) suggests Maine waters remain well short of 70.

87 yesterday, as lower dews/clear skies allowed more heating.  Dews nearly 10° higher today.

Can see and feel the difference from yesterday and today, HX is at 95 here.

It's weird... I had an instinct to check.  Maybe it was/is because of this persistent ballooned tendency and verification - both - for subtropical ridging going on over our side of the N. Hemisphere... Either way, there is a CV depression out mid way in the Atlantic ...albeit, ahead of climo for that region. 

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/taw/02/1800x1080.jpg

33 minutes ago, tamarack said:

casco bay buoy reporting 60F

47 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yes but when I posted last night it was 71

Don't forget ...those buoys may or may not be sampling at depth ...or very deep.  And circumstantially, the thermocline N of roughly the Del Marva is very thin...  So thin, in fact, that waders and swimmers can sometimes feel a discerned temperature declination at foot, once we get around the bend of CC... 

Down toward the beaches of southern RI and in the Sounds...and around the Islands... it gets deeper, but even in those areas ... 20someodd foot of depth at the water's in the 50s ...

Point being, there can be quick turn around in "SST" based upon wind stressing on the surface ...tides..etc...  Also, depending on the source, the measurements may not be made at the same depth, in which case you could get fairly pronounced disparate readings...  I mean, down around Florida, where the 'cline's on the order of a hundred(s) of foot deep it probably doesn't matter -

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Don't forget ...those buoys may or may not be sampling at depth ...or very deep.  And circumstantially, the thermocline N of roughly the Del Marva is very thin...  So thin, in fact, that waders and swimmers can sometimes feel a discerned temperature declination at foot, once we get around the bend of CC... 

Down toward the beaches of southern RI and in the Sounds...and around the Islands... it gets deeper, but even in those areas ... 20someodd foot of depth at the water's in the 50s ...

Point being, there can be quick turn around in "SST" based upon wind stressing on the surface ...tides..etc...  Also, depending on the source, the measurements may not be made at the same depth, in which case you could get fairly pronounced disparate readings...  I mean, down around Florida, where the 'cline's on the order of a hundred(s) of foot deep it probably doesn't matter -

3.4 m below MLLW for the portland buoy.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Just run the 9-10 pm obs.  I’m not making this up and I didn’t check the buoys as my point was shore waters.

I can attest ,went for a swim last night in the ocean in Weekapaug . Fantastic about 10 feet down its cool for sure.  Tomorrow's cold front and storms will upwell then it will warm up again. Nothing not seen every summer since I have been swimming in the Atlantic.  Hot spells warm the upper surface, cold fronts upwell, Pete repete