Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Midwest/corn belt type airmass.   Congrats

It really is ...

I was literally thinking that exact same aspect around noon...when "air" apparent, we were destined to these exotic numbers.

But, as you intimate ...they may be more pedestrian heat values oh... 20 feet hovering over the blue-green waves of corny grain.., I was thinking this is like that air mass out there, somehow by the vagaries of the wind, managing to transport here in all it's profiled glory without losing mustard. 

This is the peculiar thing... I'm not so blown away by the temperature here.  We've seen high 90s spill into the low 100s on several occasions over the decade - I am taken fully aback by the DPs not just this incredible high...but stagnating in that range during.

I mentioned earlier ... it is far and a way more common to see a torrid DP spike earlier in the day, followed by a regression toward the upper 60s... Bad enough - certainly for the acclimation canvas around this part of the country.  But not this!  Temperatures have been bouncing between 97 and 101 for three hours with 75+DPs in between NWS' 73 to 74s stations. This is the spooky. 

Tonight is going to be something in any urban center not tainted by marine..

Boston has accelerated from the E now...

Base reflctivity is clearly defining a west punch moving through metrowest at this time... Should see some cooling as that happens but how much?  Logan sustaining 82 ...  mixing with land air ...probably mitigates the effect some... not sure 

Talking about tonight's lows.  Flashback to my teenage years growing up in Baltimore.  The official temperature was taken at the downtown custom house.  The Baltimore Sun would publish the hourly temps the next day.  I have some saved.  Several times a year the nighttime lows would be in the upper 80's.  Around 1980 they moved the thermometer to the science center closer to the Inner Harbor and not on a city rooftop.  Back then many of the  poorer neighborhoods only had fans, certainly no central AC.  We didn't have central AC either, only one window unit and  many a night I would go to be sticking to my sheets in our brick house.  I can take cold but not extended heat like this.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Boston has accelerated from the E now...

Base reflctivity is clearly defining a west punch moving through metrowest at this time... Should see some cooling as that happens but how much?  Logan sustaining 82 ...  mixing with land air ...probably mitigates the effect some... not sure 

Still 84 but an accelerating east breeze.  Models didn’t figure the effect of such warm air off the deck and relatively warm ocean for 7/1.  Kind of like being dumbfounded with 31 and heavy snow despite a screaming east wind over 44 degree ocean with -6C or colder 925 and higher.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Still 84 but an accelerating east breeze.  Models didn’t figure the effect of suck warm air off the deck and relatively warm ocean for 7/1.  Kind of like being dumbfounded with 31 and heavy snow despite a screaming east wind over 44 degree ocean with -6C or colder 925 and higher.

Yeah this is sort of blizzard of tedious now-cast opportunities, huh -

I gotta do something else...  haha. 

Anyway, been bouncing between 96 and 99 here over the last two hours, with a DP holding at 77 ..sometimes 78. 

Looks like we may do it again tomorrow, then we shave two off per day until Friday's fropa... 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah this is sort of blizzard of tedious now-cast opportunities, huh -

I gotta do something else...  haha. 

Anyway, been bouncing between 96 and 99 here over the last two hours, with a DP holding at 77 ..sometimes 78. 

Looks like we may do it again tomorrow, then we shave two off per day until Friday's fropa... 

That Wednesday big buldge in heights suggests it may be very hot-Tuesday too.  Tomorrow is definitely cooler it would seem.

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Just went by KBED ...

15:35 95.0 75.2 80.1 53 10.4 ESE 29.84   29.98 Mostly Clear 10.00            
15:30 95.0 73.4 78.9 50 0.0 N 29.83   29.97 Clear 10.00  

Check out the erosion of the high cirrus clouds from east to west along the coast

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=subregional-New_England-02-48-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbars=

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Agree.  Lake would be perfect though.   I’m going to take another walk shortly.

I swam the lake 9 this morning, just righ. We lost power for 2 hrs this AM. Cant imagine those without AC faring well with this long lasting heat wave. Its the cumulative effect as someone said. Day 8>day1

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks close. Get that through here.

It's about 15 miles to our east. Cu overhead are not moving.  Im at 95.4/76 but I think the sun beating on my station without a breath of wind is causing a bit higher temp/dew?  Chestnut saplings are doing fine in the field but giving them plenty of water.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Edit  95.6F/76F  My alltime station record broken.  Calm wind and now 100% sunshine adds to the misery

Fly home from Norway tomorrow nite. Have not been at lake since Memorial Day, happy to know water will be mid-summer.