Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter Thread

George BM

7 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If I did carry live lobsters all the way from New England I'm pretty sure I'd charge you all market rate, tax, and a transportation fee. How else will I fund my tropical chases?

Sounds expensive. It's a good thing we're Buds and you would forgo the the charges for me.

38 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Drinking a DFH 90 min IPA, spiked with a little DFH Analog vodka. :D

I’m at Heavy Seas drinking another raspberry sour. Two hours ago a county truck pulled up in front of my house and dropped off a backhoe because a sewer line two houses up from us collapsed. It’s the county line and not a residential connection. And to think I’ve been worried about rain water getting into my basement.

Needless to say, I’m not going home for awhile. I’m running the beer gamut here this evening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m at Heavy Seas drinking another raspberry sour. Two hours ago a county truck pulled up in front of my house and dropped off a backhoe because a sewer line two houses up from us collapsed. It’s the county line and not a residential connection. And to think I’ve been worried about rain water getting into my basement.

Needless to say, I’m not going home for awhile. I’m running the beer gamut here this evening.

When the sh*t hits the fan... Get drunk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

All day I've been unconsciously singing, "There's got to be a morning after..." and thinking about Ernest Borgnine yelling at the preacher, Gene Hackman.

That's funny because for the last couple of weeks this song has been running through head.

eta: How do you get the smaller pic frame for the video?

• Haha 1

Picture of sediment plume from Lee 2011 

Please pass on to other "boaters", from Upper Chesapeake to Mid Bay. Area will be a floating junkyard for a while. 

P 270056Z JUL 18

1. MARINERS ARE ADVISED THAT THE CONOWINGO DAM WILL OPERATE UNDER SPILL CONDITIONS.  THE DAM WILL BEGIN TO OPEN UP ITS FLOOD CREST GATES TO RELEASE EXCESS WATER STARTING AT 0800 LOCAL TIME ON THE
26TH OF JULY UNITL FURTHER NOTICE. IT IS EXPECTED THAT THERE WILL BE
18 TO 30 GATES OPENED DURING THIS TIME. LARGE AMOUNTS OF DEBRIS AND
LOGS ARE POSSIBLE AND BUOYS MAY BE LOW RIDING DUE TO INCREASED
CURRENT. ALL MARINERS ARE REQUESTED TO USE EXTREME CAUTION WHILE TRANSITING THE AREA.
2. CANCEL AT DTG 092000Z AUG 18.

IMG_20180727_064120.jpg

On 7/27/2018 at 6:52 AM, MiddleRvrwx said:

Picture of sediment plume from Lee 2011 

Please pass on to other "boaters", from Upper Chesapeake to Mid Bay. Area will be a floating junkyard for a while. 

P 270056Z JUL 18

1. MARINERS ARE ADVISED THAT THE CONOWINGO DAM WILL OPERATE UNDER SPILL CONDITIONS.  THE DAM WILL BEGIN TO OPEN UP ITS FLOOD CREST GATES TO RELEASE EXCESS WATER STARTING AT 0800 LOCAL TIME ON THE
26TH OF JULY UNITL FURTHER NOTICE. IT IS EXPECTED THAT THERE WILL BE
18 TO 30 GATES OPENED DURING THIS TIME. LARGE AMOUNTS OF DEBRIS AND
LOGS ARE POSSIBLE AND BUOYS MAY BE LOW RIDING DUE TO INCREASED
CURRENT. ALL MARINERS ARE REQUESTED TO USE EXTREME CAUTION WHILE TRANSITING THE AREA.
2. CANCEL AT DTG 092000Z AUG 18.

Debris starting showing up on the beaches yesterday...

001.JPG

002.JPG

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

i'll tell you what's unnatural...camping without an air mattress.  that was unpleasant.  might need to make a trip to REI.

what's also unnatural is that we've had so much rain, but not much in the severe department.  it's been very tropical remnants-like recently.  i'm kinda done with this pattern.  would definitely prefer a more natural summer pattern where it's generally partly to mostly sunny/warm during the day with popcorn storms in the afternoon.

What kind of camping were you doing? I only use a sleeping bag and small air mattress when I'm backpacking which is not nearly as often as I'd like these days. But when car camping, we have an REI 4 man dome tent that sets up on a breeze and a cheap queen size Coleman air mattress from Target or Walmart that fits nicely with room to spare for our gym bag of clothes. We don't even use our sleeping bags but just a queen sheet set and a comforter. It's a great set up and easy. I even keep a plastic tub of the tent, air mattress, car plug-in inflator, clean sheets, and comforter all ready to go.

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

What kind of camping were you doing? I only use a sleeping bag and small air mattress when I'm backpacking which is not nearly as often as I'd like these days. But when car camping, we have an REI 4 man dome tent that sets up on a breeze and a cheap queen size Coleman air mattress from Target or Walmart that fits nicely with room to spare for our gym bag of clothes. We don't even use our sleeping bags but just a queen sheet set and a comforter. It's a great set up and easy. I even keep a plastic tub of the tent, air mattress, car plug-in inflator, clean sheets, and comforter all ready to go.

I remember those days. Get older though and your body starts fighting you. Wife and I are done with that and we now enjoy a 38' Park model trailer that is planted in one spot with a deck. Set everything up in the trailer in the spring and we're good to go at a moments notice the rest of the summer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I remember those days. Get older though and your body starts fighting you. Wife and I are done with that and we now enjoy a 38' Park model trailer that is planted in one spot with a deck. Set everything up in the trailer in the spring and we're good to go at a moments notice the rest of the summer.

That sounds perfect for the regular trips we make to the Finger Lakes area!  

We still travel to a lot of different places, and though I've thought about getting a small trailer of some kind, the more axles that I have, the more nervous I get. Even trailering my little skiff down to my crabbing spot, I am always a little uneasy.  Plus, I'd have to store it. But I totally agree with you that having something "permanent" in a go to spot is ideal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That sounds perfect for the regular trips we make to the Finger Lakes area!  

We still travel to a lot of different places, and though I've thought about getting a small trailer of some kind, the more axles that I have, the more nervous I get. Even trailering my little skiff down to my crabbing spot, I am always a little uneasy.  Plus, I'd have to store it. But I totally agree with you that having something "permanent" in a go to spot is ideal.

We used to have travel trailers. Was always a touch nervous hauling them myself. Then we broke down on the 81 bridge over the Susquehanna going into Harrisburg and that was pretty much the last straw. There was no room to fully pull off the road so we were sticking out about 3-4 feet into the right hand traffic lane. And if you have ever been on that road people are doing 65-75 mph despite the 55 mph speed limit. As they say it 'Scared me straight'. So after that we decided to get a park model and plant it for good.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic