Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
July Banter Thread

George BM

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Don’t know if I ever bothered to update you guys on the college search:

Decided to go to UVA. They get a little more snow then Arlington annually, so hoping I score something you guys don’t. emoji6.png Or I can just let you know if those echoes from the SW inbound to DC are legit.

Congratulations to you NA101. Hoping for good times for you in college.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Don’t know if I ever bothered to update you guys on the college search:

Decided to go to UVA. They get a little more snow then Arlington annually, so hoping I score something you guys don’t. emoji6.png Or I can just let you know if those echoes from the SW inbound to DC are legit.

Congratulations.  Not a bad place to start your life away from home. Is this for Fall 2019?

Congratulations.  Not a bad place to start your life away from home. Is this for Fall 2019?

Fall 2018, I graduated this spring.

Congratulations! 
1. College is amazing. Meet good people and do good things. Do that and college will be some of the best years of your life.
2. Take advantage of the resources the school offers. Don’t assume you know everything just by attending orientation. The more resources you find, the more opportunities you’ll have in the future.
3. Keep perspective. Try not to get too high or too low on all your new experiences. Friends, flings, and classes will seem like the biggest thing in the world then but will barely even register in your memory just a few years later. It’s a time to learn, be happy, and sometimes, get hurt. There’s a long life ahead and what matters most is how you learn from mistakes and adversity.
4. It’s almost impossible at that age but please do think seriously about what you spend. Loans are a double edged sword. Making small sacrifices pay to save/reduce borrowing now will pay big dividends in the future. 
I’m so happy for you! You’ve earned it and I have no doubt you’ll be a great addition to that community. 

Thank you for the detailed reply. Happy to say I’ve already made a few connections on campus with professors and administrators which has already helped make my life easier.

On the spending front, hopefully I can keep my high school habits. I’ve been blessed by the fact my parents have the means to help me with college, and will manage to go to UVA with my own decent chunk of earnings that I’ve saved up the past few years. The only thing I need to do is to convince myself to invest some of it, lol.
  • Like 1

Don't do things in college that you'll regret doing later.  If a picture of it got put on social media, could it get you in trouble?  If so, don't do it.

Yet don't *not* do things in college that you'll regret not doing later.   If you have any chance to travel or study abroad in college, do it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

I haven't been around lately but still love you guys.  Wildfire Today has a cool video of a fire tornado transitioning to a waterspout.  Jebman, sorry about your dad. 

http://wildfiretoday.com/2018/07/16/fire-whirl-or-waterspout-or-fire-tornado/

Hope you have been doing well Wes.  Look forward to seeing more of you as we get into Sept/Oct and you predict a great winter for us ;)

Just cut the cord by cancelling DirecTV, which we’ve had for the last five years. Before that we had Fios for about four years, and I had Verizon/Fios for years prior to that. Feels quite liberating...but we are losing years of DVRed shows that my daughter started watching four years ago, though so many of those shows are now available via streaming.

We’re going with a combination of Prime Video, Netflix, and Sling through FireTV. Really interested to see how it all works out...and definitey excited to be saving $90/month!

Anyone else cut the cord and happy with it?

20 hours ago, mattie g said:

Just cut the cord by cancelling DirecTV, which we’ve had for the last five years. Before that we had Fios for about four years, and I had Verizon/Fios for years prior to that. Feels quite liberating...but we are losing years of DVRed shows that my daughter started watching four years ago, though so many of those shows are now available via streaming.

We’re going with a combination of Prime Video, Netflix, and Sling through FireTV. Really interested to see how it all works out...and definitey excited to be saving $90/month!

Stupid DirecTV has me by the, uh, let's go with neck, with the Sunday Ticket.  I know I can find illegal streams online of my Vikes, but I don't always trust them and it is so nice just to sit in front of my tv and watch. 

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Stupid DirecTV has me by the, uh, let's go with neck, with the Sunday Ticket.  I know I can find illegal streams online of my Vikes, but I don't always trust them and it is so nice just to sit in front of my tv and watch. 

Same position with the Bengals. Would rather pay and watch at home than go to sports bars each week.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:43 PM, mattie g said:

No regrets for ever getting attached once I left college. My wife and I run a combo of Hulu/Netflix/Prime (We use Amazon Prime and Twitch Prime regularly so the video just comes with) and it serves our needs. Come hockey season and football season I usually go to reddit and go to the associated streams subreddits when I can't go to a game. Usually a grandma streams if the game is popular enough or if the person is tagged verified and upvoted well then it's usually a safe bet and the streaming is usually better than any streaming services that ISP's give. ESPN3 is usually a gong show during CFB season while pirates have no issues.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Luckily, I’m not a huge football fan. I’ve gone without watching the Eagles regularly for years now, so I’m not really missing anything. My big thing is soccer, and I can get NBCSN and NBC Premier League Gold through Sling/Fire TV, so I’m good there.

I’ve been researching the possibility of purchasing a VPN service, but aside from the general internet security part of it, I’m not sure how much real benefit we’d get from it. I’m not techy, but can muddle my way through, so I could probably make it work for me, but if it makes my wife’s life any more difficult than it needs to be, then forget it!

6 hours ago, Stormpc said:

I just bite the bullet and pay my $300 a month for FIOS and get everything.  I stream Netflix and Amazon Prime as well. I'm too lazy when it comes to utilities to try to find an alternate opportunity to save some money.

$300 a month? Yep, that is definitely biting the bullet. My wife and I don't watch too much tv so we are good with $90 a month for xfinity, which includes our internet as well. Also go with Netflix for $11.00 a month though we are considering dropping them for Amazon Prime which looks to have a better movie selection plus the free shipping on orders. $100 is still too much for my tastes but I am a cheap SOB as my wife always likes to remind me. :lol:

7 hours ago, Stormpc said:

I just bite the bullet and pay my $300 a month for FIOS and get everything.  I stream Netflix and Amazon Prime as well. I'm too lazy when it comes to utilities to try to find an alternate opportunity to save some money.

I pay $60/month for Fios internet, and was paying $150/month for DirecTV, plus yearly Prime and monthly Netflix. Now with Sling I’m only paying $60/month instead of the $150. That’s a pretty significant savings for very little in the way of changing our setup. We don’t watch all that much TV anyways, and we can stream pretty much anything our older daughter could want to watch.

I just signed up for Premier League Gold last night, so I’ll have access to every game - both live and on demand - for $49.99/year. Not a bad deal when I’m already saving a ton.

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

$300 a month? Yep, that is definitely biting the bullet. My wife and I don't watch too much tv so we are good with $90 a month for xfinity, which includes our internet as well. Also go with Netflix for $11.00 a month though we are considering dropping them for Amazon Prime which looks to have a better movie selection plus the free shipping on orders. $100 is still too much for my tastes but I am a cheap SOB as my wife always likes to remind me. :lol:

Geez, that is a good price.  I have Xfinity for cable tv and internet too but I am paying $192 monthly.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic