Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Discobs Thread

George BM

Just now, Random Chaos said:

Howard County government on twitter:

If you are in the Main Street area of Ellicott City please move to higher ground.

Please avoid Ellicott City’s Main Street. We are taking precautions as waters rise. We are closely monitoring the rainfall and rising water levels.

copy the link

None of the nearby gauges are near flood stage (AHPS website) - I think it is HoCo concerned about what might be coming, not what has already fallen - the radar estimates put the heavy rain totals just east of Ellicot City, not west which causes city flooding.

(note - on a tablet - hard to type)

• Like 1

Another problem at KDOX... Come on now. 

NOUS61 KAKQ 140141
FTMDOX
Message Date:  Jul 25 2018 21:13:50
TECHNICIANS HAVE REPLACED THE MOTORS, HOWEVER THEY CONTINUE TO HAVE PROBLEMS WIT
H ANTENNA CONTROL. THEY ARE CURRENTLY TROUBLESHOOTING THE PROBLEM.

Ever since KDOX radar has been down the radar coverage has been crappy. But i will totally bank on it that it will be up sometime tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

None of the nearby gauges are near flood stage (AHPS website) - I think it is HoCo concerned about what might be coming, not what has already fallen - the radar estimates put the heavy rain totals just east of Ellicot City, not west which causes city flooding.

Wouldn't it be heavy rain just west of EC that causes flooding, as it runs down the hill? 

My guess is EC is safe, but probably only because the rain started to fade as it approached. Had the rain come in a bit earlier, it could have been a bit of a problem.

3 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

Some tweets have been tracking it.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

Wouldn't it be heavy rain just west of EC that causes flooding, as it runs down the hill? 

My guess is EC is safe, but probably only because the rain started to fade as it approached. Had the rain come in a bit earlier, it could have been a bit of a problem.

That's interesting to see.

.96 for this afternoon event.  Initially, we got big goblets of rain, which I thought would be a real downpour, but that only lasted a few minutes.  The .96" was more spread out, light to moderate rain.. Didn't get the big amounts that N. Arlington received.  Another comparison: DCA got .67, 

Apparently, the setup is for the same beginning Monday.  Sad to say I'm going overseas and will miss it.  Maybe I'll check in (but not comment).  

The big overperformer for the past few days in my area was that Saturday event where DCA got 4" and I got 4.80". 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic