Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs Thread

George BM

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I know this should go to banter, but I like that EJ can take the reactions that he sometimes gets.

Over an inch since 7AM and nearing a foot total.

At my age, it's hard to get excited over anything so I just roll with it.  

Annapolis just gust to 41 mph.  Some of the stronger cells are trying to pull down some wind from aloft.  Looks like that gust prompted a special marine warning for Baltimore Inner Harbor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, yoda said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't know what this means, but ok? I mean, it has been raining on and off for days as forecast, with some significant amounts. As forecast. I have seen posts acting like LWX has been out of line for forecasting a lot of rain and for the FFW etc, and I don't agree with that. It appears to have been well forecast and has been a significant event. I don't know that anyone is excited for rain - I mean, it isn't snow, which fires most of the board up, but from a forecasting perspective, this has been well handled it would appear.

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

I don't know what this means, but ok? I mean, it has been raining on and off for days as forecast, with some significant amounts. As forecast. I have seen posts acting like LWX has been out of line for forecasting a lot of rain and for the FFW etc, and I don't agree with that. It appears to have been well forecast and has been a significant event.

Sorry, its what EJ posted when we were discussing water rescues from all the rain I believe it was Saturday into Saturday evening.  I was using it to troll EJ in response to your post about all the rain you have been having.  My fault for not explaining it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I don't know what this means, but ok? I mean, it has been raining on and off for days as forecast, with some significant amounts. As forecast. I have seen posts acting like LWX has been out of line for forecasting a lot of rain and for the FFW etc, and I don't agree with that. It appears to have been well forecast and has been a significant event.

He's being sarcastic and has been lightly trolling EJ all week.

• Like 2

Just now, yoda said:

Sorry, its what EJ posted when we were discussing water rescues from all the rain I believe it was Saturday into Saturday evening.  I was using it to troll EJ in response to your post about all the rain you have been having.  My fault for not explaining it.

Ah, ok! Thanks, missed the reference. Yeah, zzzzz indeed.

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Frankly, that moisture feed from off the Atlantic from the Carolina coast aimed in the general direction of our part of the mid-atlantic is amazing to look at on radar. That's a lot of water for somewhere in the general area as the day unfolds I would guess.

If you take a look at the SPC meso analysis, that's directly under an area of deep moisture convergence.  One the precip moves off that area it fades out fast.  The meso guidance has all of that precip avoid the entire area.

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If you take a look at the SPC meso analysis, that's directly under an area of deep moisture convergence.  One the precip moves off that area it fades out fast.  The meso guidance has all of that precip avoid the entire area.

You should call NWS and tell them to cancel the FFW... don't know why they have it up... 

North Point State Park area will go over  12" total rain, thanks to the bullseye on the Western side of the Bay.  

When it rains it monsoons.

(So far, it looks like the roofers did a good job replacing the roof from the damaging wind storm in March ( I hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that.)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Totally agree. I've been following a bit in between my travels (I'm back in DC, y'all!) and this has been a pretty extraordinary event. I was impressed with the flooding imby during that July event a year or two ago where I got about 4" of rain, but this is blowing that away in a lot of spots. To go from an extremely dry July to almost record breaking wet in just a few days from a nontropical entity is something to behold. I hope everyone stays safe. I love extreme wx but two things I don't play games with are big wind and water. 

Are you 90? :lol: 

I'm 30 and ~7" of rain after a drought in the middle of summer isn't thread worthy.

An 1/4 mile wide EF2 tornado could wreak havoc in DC and EJ would find a way to complain about how the tornado size wasn't big enough, or how the tornado was meh because it didn't cause enough damage, or how it was zzzzzzzzz because it was on the ground for only 8 minutes 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, yoda said:

An 1/4 mile wide EF2 tornado could wreak havoc in DC and EJ would find a way to complain about how the tornado size wasn't big enough, or how the tornado was meh because it didn't create enough damage, or how it was zzzzzzzzz because it was on the ground for only 8 minutes 

Please take it to the banter.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Someone can check me on this, but I'm pretty sure that BWI (previously the State House) surpassed their rainiest July ever (10.65" in 1905) this evening, and is now less than 3" from its rainiest month ever (13.83" in August 1933).

That persistent plume along the western bay this afternoon and evening needs to shift east or west to give the basements in these parts a break. I'm closing in on 11" for the past 3 days.

If 13.83" is the all time record, then we're already within striking distance of it, and I think we'll easily beat it.

EDIT: Actually August 1955 has the all time record (18.35") and we're still have quite a ways to get to that.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/weather/weather-blog/bs-md-weather-tuesday-20180724-story.html

The Baltimore area reached record monthly rainfall Tuesday as precipitation levels surpassed a July record set more than a century ago.

As of 11 a.m. Tuesday morning, 13.26 inches of rain had fallen in July at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. The previous July record, set in 1889, was 11.03 inches for the month.

“We could still go well above the record if the pattern continues like this,” said Isha Renta, a National Weather Service meteorologist.

It has also been Baltimore’s wettest summer on record so far. There has been about 18 inches of rain in June and July, an inch and a half more than the second-wettest June-July period on record in 2015. Since May 1, more than 26 inches of rain — about 60 percent of Baltimore’s typical annual rainfall — is 4 inches more than the previous record for that period, from 1989.

14 minutes ago, Fozz said:

If 13.83" is the all time record, then we're already within striking distance of it, and I think we'll easily beat it.

EDIT: Actually August 1955 has the all time record (18.35") and we're still have quite a ways to get to that.

Think it's going to be hard to reach that simply because of the timing of this upcoming break. We could pick up a bit more tomorrow, but then probably not very much Thursday through Sunday, which basically takes us right into August.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Think it's going to be hard to reach that simply because of the timing of this upcoming break. We could pick up a bit more tomorrow, but then probably not very much Thursday through Sunday, which basically takes us right into August.

Possibly... but Mon-Tues show return of the trough and 2"+ PWATS per GFS... so still a chance right before July ends

7 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Well, they are at 13.26" and only less than .60" away from the record, so I think they've got a good shot at it.

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Well, they are at 13.26" and only less than .60" away from the record, so I think they've got a good shot at it.

But the all time record is actually 18.35" from August 1955. I think getting another 5"+ before the end of the month will be tough.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic