Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs Thread

George BM

2 minutes ago, JWilliam9830 said:

NWS forecast for my city: 

• This
    Afternoon

This Afternoon: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall.  Partly sunny, with a high near 84. Southeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Heavy Rain

High: 84 °F

• Tonight

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 1am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall.  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 74. Southeast wind 11 to 13 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Heavy Rain

Low: 74 °F

• Tuesday

Tuesday: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall.  Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Southeast wind 14 to 16 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Heavy Rain

High: 82 °F

• Tuesday
    Night

Tuesday Night: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain.  Low around 72. South wind around 11 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Heavy Rain

Low: 72 °F

• Wednesday

Wednesday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain.  High near 82. South wind 11 to 14 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Heavy Rain

High: 82 °F

Your city?

You mean Dover, DE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well if tonight is anything like last night it could be interesting.  I was impressed by the late night rounds (2) of thunderstorms that developed around midnight and persisted to near 2am.  Not only was the rainfall prolific (2.5" in my gauge in the morning) but there was some deep loud thunder and sharp lightning as the storms were rolling through.   

• Like 1

Cold front convection can't do it, historic coastal storms can't do it, massive upper level lows can't do it, massive tropical moisture plumes of 75f dews and 2.5" PWS values can't do it, so I don't know what's left that could produce anything more than drizzle here.  

Saddest excuse of a FFW I have seen.  The radar looks like complete garbage for me.  

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Cold front convection can't do it, historic coastal storms can't do it, massive upper level lows can't do it, massive tropical moisture plumes of 75f dews and 2.5" PWS values can't do it, so I don't know what's left that could produce anything more than drizzle here.  

Saddest excuse of a FFW I have seen.  The radar looks like complete garbage for me.  

lol you are in the valley out there dude. Relatively low elevation and rain shadow and stuff. Climo there is a bit drier than most other places in the general area. I feel for ya, but its kinda like me complaining about getting dry slotted or my snow changing to sleet or rain in winter nor'easters. Happens pretty often, but thats climo here on the coastal plain at 55 ft above sea level.

• Like 2

today was a bit of a bust here.  i'm not surprised.  no scientific reasoning behind this, but i just had a feeling it wouldn't do much here.  we're not great at storms after storms.  never have been, and if you think about it, it's kind of remarkable that 09/10 was one of the greatest winters ever.  it was great, but i've said this before, we don't do extreme very well here (though i understand there are differing opinions on this topic).  we do "almost" extreme pretty well, but the atmosphere is generally good at holding back at the next level stuff for whatever reason (mountains, etc.).

at this point, i'm craving a good thunderstorm.  really don't care for an all day rainer, but a nice fireworks display would be fun.

• Like 1

Got hit in Wheaton and Beltsville   with some torrential 0.5 in 15 minutes.

Question  earlier about what torrential is. When the wipers are on high speed and still really not working, that’s torrential. When your rear window looks like the car wash or a river  of water rolling down it, that’s torrential. Sheets of rain that look almost like little waves going rapidly across the highway, that’s torrential. Perfectly cleared  modern gutters being overwhelmed, that’s torrential

There are more. Please offer.

8 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

Got hit in Wheaton and Beltsville   with some torrential 0.5 in 15 minutes.

Question  earlier about what torrential is. When the wipers are on high speed and still really not working, that’s torrential. When your rear window looks like the car wash or a river  of water rolling down it, that’s torrential. Sheets of rain that look almost like little waves going rapidly across the highway, that’s torrential. Perfectly cleared  modern gutters being overwhelmed, that’s torrential

There are more. Please offer.

2 drops hitting the same point within a span of 4 hours.

Well, at least for here.

Someone can check me on this, but I'm pretty sure that BWI (previously the State House) surpassed their rainiest July ever (10.65" in 1905) this evening, and is now less than 3" from its rainiest month ever (13.83" in August 1933).

That persistent plume along the western bay this afternoon and evening needs to shift east or west to give the basements in these parts a break. I'm closing in on 11" for the past 3 days.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic