• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs Thread

George BM

Man we lucked into a gorgeous day south of VA Beach -- full sun.  My folks in Calvert said that they've never seen so much water washing over the driveway as in that big storm around 3 PM.  I see another t-storm rolled through Germantown a while ago.  Yikes.

We have two people flying from BWI to ORF scheduled to take off at 2:55, but are sitting on the plane at the gate waiting to be cleared.  And now we have big storms developing around Norfolk. :o

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JWilliam9830 said:

Nothing other than a couple minutes of light rain. Getting shafted in Dover, Dela-desert. Shortwave didn't quite reach over here.

3 rounds of storms today have tracked S to N a few miles west of me. Had literally a few drops all day. This next one seems to have a bit different orientation, so maybe I get clipped. Or maybe it dies before it gets here lol. Lots of rumbling to my south.

• Like 2

Just a parade of vorticity impulses moving through over the next 48 hours on the NAM. Looks like as the closed low sinks a bit south and east, the track of the vort maxes/associated enhanced lift, and thus the threat for heavy rain, will shift/expand a bit further east tomorrow.

Round 4 today just missed here again. Pretty amazing looking at the storm totals per radar for today. A north-south axis of 2-4 inches through Talbot and Queen Annes counties a few miles to my west, and nothing here.

Streets around  here were raging brooks last night, I think the city needs to clear some gutter infrastructure, it was vaguely reminiscent of June 2006. I know yesterday was a historic event, not downplaying it all, but there weren't any periods what I would call torrential rain (but I may have missed them, wasn't monitoring all day), just long extended periods of heavy rain. (

Then again, "torrential" is one of those notoriously subjective words used to describe weather that helps to make boards like this rock with such vigorous disagreement. With me, it's a bias, I suppose: unless there's t&l (or tropical) involved, I tend to not categorize rainfall as torrential. Again, totally subjective..

Certainly the statistics and reported rainfall verify that Saturday was indeed an area-wide heavy rain event of significance. Along with the windstorm in March, probably the two most noteworthy weather events of the year so far, off the top of my head. Well, that and the extended cold that kicked off January. 

With the breezy winds and the relatively cool temps, yesterday had the feel of a fall nor'easter (I'm sure someone's noted that before, haven't read through the thread.) Interesting to read about t/l, especially to the east, did not notice any of that, yesterday or today.  

Today has featured some picturesque cloud contrasts; no towering c-nimbus or low rolling shelfs, of course, but just recently the southern horizon was dark and ominous and the northern was much brighter with some grey scud moving across. 

This has been, IMO, an eminently tolerable summer so far; except for a few days earlier in the month and maybe last week, it hasn't been very oppressive at all. I think DCA has topped out at 97 so far? That's not bad at all. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic