• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs Thread

George BM

I've been in this house for 14 years and there have been some decent flooding events, but this is as bad as my yard has ever been. Most of it is under water. I also went down into the basement and broke the thin layer of concrete in the area over the French drain where the dripping water isn't getting into the corrugated plastic along the walls. Now it's getting into the drain and the sump pump is draining it into a flooded area of the yard. Good times!

But the new roof that High Stakes's company put on is keeping the inside dry! :drunk:

We got waterboarded for HOURS this past afternoon. We got rain at the rate of an inch per hour. Creeks were up to 6 feet. I didnt post much because we are going thru the house getting ready to move and my mom is a certified slave driver lmao - and I am the SLAVE.

I did get to watch the rain.

Amazing our forecast for the next 8-12 days. Just wow

All of you privileged to live here in N VA -----

You have a ringside seat. You will see greater rain events than this over the next 10 years. Climate change is completely out of control. There are other factors at work as well. You will see winter events like this as well, which will destroy your region with feet, even meters, of fresh snow. Enjoy. You will also be subject to many wind events similar to March 1-2, and with winds much stronger than what we got blasted by in March. You get a strong Nino, you better watch out. You will have HUGE HUGE events here.

As for myself, soon to reside 20 miles south of Austin TX - my weather will become markedly drier and much much hotter. Water will be a huge huge part of politics down there. There may be a few flash floods typically in May or in late October - but overall I will be in a very very hot and dry regime - for the remainder of my natural lifetime.

I did however enjoy todays rainstorm.

Be very glad you dont have to live down there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, das said:

6.61” so far here in Clarksburg as of 11:30pm and it continues to pour. 

Digital storm total accumulation is at 4.56”, a full two inches below ground truth verification. 

I was under solid yellow oranges for hours and hours this afternoon. It is hard to believe I picked up 7 inches.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=LWX&issuedby=LWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...
Low pressure will continue moving northward through the
Delmarva this evening and tonight, reaching northeastern PA by
Sunday morning. Widespread heavy rain has occurred and will
continue to occur over the next several hours, before rain moves
northward and out of the region after midnight. Widespread
amounts of 2-5" have already fallen along and east of a line
from Spotsylvania-Fauquier-Jefferson counties eastward, with
localized amounts of 5-7" in Fairfax, Prince William, Stafford,
Spotsylvania, and Charles counties. This has led to numerous
reports of flooding and flash flooding. Please refer to warning
products for additional information. As the low moves northward,
the axis of additional heavy rain will shift northward into
central and northern Maryland and will need to monitor for
additional flooding concerns. Flash Flood Watch will remain in
effect until 2 AM.

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

7.75” in Germantown was my final total. One station reported 10”.

9 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

5.02" total here.  2nd highest one-day total since 2011 here (Lee).  3rd highest storm total, also behind Oct. 2013 which I honestly don't even remember.

I’d be curious to see a map of the area-wide rain amounts. Pretty impressive day for those of us who got under the “good stuff.”

MN...our amounts are often pretty close in all kinds of area-wide events. 5” seems a little low just based on the “feel” of how the day progressed here. Not sure if ground truth might be a little higher than station measurements, but the time from about 4:00-7:00 was incredibly impressive nonetheless.

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

7.75” in Germantown was my final total. One station reported 10”.

Thanks for posting the amounts for Germantown.  I can't believe I missed this event by a day!  We left yesterday morning for VA Beach -- had some heavy rain, especially around Williamsburg, but nothing like up there.

24 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I’d be curious to see a map of the area-wide rain amounts. Pretty impressive day for those of us who got under the “good stuff.”

MN...our amounts are often pretty close in all kinds of area-wide events. 5” seems a little low just based on the “feel” of how the day progressed here. Not sure if ground truth might be a little higher than station measurements, but the time from about 4:00-7:00 was incredibly impressive nonetheless.

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see when all the reports are compiled.  The early CoCoRaHS reports from your area are in line with my ob.  You got hit harder earlier, and I think I caught up later.

17 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Hrrr brings more fun this afternoon. At this point I hope this week is historic in the rain department. I already have 5.63" from yesterday. That's a good start. I'd like to see at least 10".

No thanks. I’d happily let others “win” in the dumping-rain department...at least until the upgraded sump pump arrives!

1 hour ago, BlizzardNole said:

Thanks for posting the amounts for Germantown.  I can't believe I missed this event by a day!  We left yesterday morning for VA Beach -- had some heavy rain, especially around Williamsburg, but nothing like up there.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

One of the really interesting things here was how spotty the rain amounts were. About 3 miles away, there was a station that reported 4". 3 miles in the other direction, 10". My area got 7.5". Regardless, lots and lots of rain everywhere.

48 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

6.42” was my final total for yesterday, with an additional 0.03” into today. I just left my spotter report of 6.39” submitted around 11pm unchanged.

@Stormpc

There’s no chart explaining the colors on that map- how many inches is red?

Theres no scale on that map. Just shows the jackpots. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see when all the reports are compiled.  The early CoCoRaHS reports from your area are in line with my ob.  You got hit harder earlier, and I think I caught up later.

6.81" here and most of that came between 9pm and midnight. It must have been a very narrow band because the CoCoRaHS obs not too far from here are 3-4" lower.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic