Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Rtd208

July 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Recommended Posts

The 3rd lowest rainfall total on record over the first 10 days of July at Islip. Grass areas that don't get enough water are quickly turning brown. I wonder how much moisture evaporated here in the heat compared to Maine.

Driest July 1-10 periods at Islip on record

#1....T..........1975..1966

#2....0.02.....1968

#3....0.05.....2018....2000...1995

So far only 0.65" of rain has fallen @NWSCaribou this month and we have observed 2.49" of evaporation#mewx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The 3rd lowest rainfall total on record over the first 10 days of July at Islip. Grass areas that don't get enough water are quickly turning brown. I wonder how much moisture evaporated here in the heat compared to Maine.

Driest July 1-10 periods at Islip on record

#1....T..........1975..1966

#2....0.02.....1968

#3....0.05.....2018....2000...1995

So far only 0.65" of rain has fallen @NWSCaribou this month and we have observed 2.49" of evaporation#mewx

it's shocking how green everything here is despite virtually no rain since June 28th.  (.10 or so last week)  We had 3-4 inches that last week of June so I guess that is what is hanging on.   Looks dry next 7 days outside of a hit or miss storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The 3rd lowest rainfall total on record over the first 10 days of July at Islip. Grass areas that don't get enough water are quickly turning brown. I wonder how much moisture evaporated here in the heat compared to Maine.

Driest July 1-10 periods at Islip on record

#1....T..........1975..1966

#2....0.02.....1968

#3....0.05.....2018....2000...1995

So far only 0.65" of rain has fallen @NWSCaribou this month and we have observed 2.49" of evaporation#mewx

 

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

it's shocking how green everything here is despite virtually no rain since June 28th.  (.10 or so last week)  We had 3-4 inches that last week of June so I guess that is what is hanging on.   Looks dry next 7 days outside of a hit or miss storm.

Very dry here. Grass turning brown and my shrubs and newly planted flowers are showing severe distress. Pain in the ass watering them but i guess i have no choice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

it's shocking how green everything here is despite virtually no rain since June 28th.  (.10 or so last week)  We had 3-4 inches that last week of June so I guess that is what is hanging on.   Looks dry next 7 days outside of a hit or miss storm.

And again, 30-40 miles makes a world of difference. I think it's a bit over an inch here this month. Yeah it's incredibly green so far this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bluewave said:

The 3rd lowest rainfall total on record over the first 10 days of July at Islip. Grass areas that don't get enough water are quickly turning brown. I wonder how much moisture evaporated here in the heat compared to Maine.

Driest July 1-10 periods at Islip on record

#1....T..........1975..1966

#2....0.02.....1968

#3....0.05.....2018....2000...1995

So far only 0.65" of rain has fallen @NWSCaribou this month and we have observed 2.49" of evaporation#mewx

July 1975 was very wet in Newark and NYC...I can't find Islip before 1984...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short, thin line of storms developed 45 minutes ago, from nothing,  to my west/southwest.   Movement not noted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the year of the 89 degree highs, similar to 2010,11 where most sites racked up more than 5/6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last good soaking rain here was June 28th. On July 6th there was a heavy downpour that lasted 10 minutes here. It didn't last long enough to water my tree's, only my container plants. The ground is dry in most places and I've had to intervene and water my tree's. I hope we get a good soaking rain soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next 8 days averaging 79degs., or about 3degs. AN.

Month to date is  +4.2.    Should be  +3.5 by the 20th.

Temps. return to Normal after the 22nd. and continue that way into early August, it looks like now.

To date there are 16 BN Days and 25 AN Days since summer season started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest update from the drought monitor. Interesting point about a flash drought potential if the rains don't come.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?Northeast

Northeast Drought Summary

Temperatures were near normal to slightly above normal in New England, where departures were 2-4 degrees above normal for the week. Precipitation was spotty at best as most areas recorded less than half the normal rain for the week, with Pennsylvania recording the most. The continued warm and dry pattern over the short term allowed for an expansion of the abnormally dry conditions over central New York, southeast Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and northern Connecticut. Moderate drought was introduced over northeast New York and portions of northern New York this week. It was noted that dryness, along with the heat, has started to impact the region into the Mid-Atlantic. No changes were made this week but local observations stated that the region is primed for flash drought development if rains don’t materialize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dryness may allow temps to overperform this weekend and build some more strong heat Mon (7/16) /  Tue (7/17).  Beyond there more humid/potentially (warm) stormy airmass by the next of next week Fri (7/20) - Mon (7/23).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Latest update from the drought monitor. Interesting point about a flash drought potential if the rains don't come.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?Northeast

Northeast Drought Summary

Temperatures were near normal to slightly above normal in New England, where departures were 2-4 degrees above normal for the week. Precipitation was spotty at best as most areas recorded less than half the normal rain for the week, with Pennsylvania recording the most. The continued warm and dry pattern over the short term allowed for an expansion of the abnormally dry conditions over central New York, southeast Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and northern Connecticut. Moderate drought was introduced over northeast New York and portions of northern New York this week. It was noted that dryness, along with the heat, has started to impact the region into the Mid-Atlantic. No changes were made this week but local observations stated that the region is primed for flash drought development if rains don’t materialize.

Doesnt have LI in a drought? Jesus...bone dry here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The 0z Euro only has .20 of rain for most of Long Island over the next week. So it will continue to dry out. We'll probably get an official upgrade in the drought monitor status for next Thursday if the Euro is correct.

but local observations stated that the region is primed for flash drought development if rains don’t materialize.

Dry out? I had to water my bushes this morning because they were wilting even in the morning. Area of my lawn without irrigation are brown and have stopped growing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JerseyWx said:

One of the best sounds of Summer.  Heard them on Tuesday.

it's like an alarm clock that we are at the mid-point of met summer...that and the dreaded crabgrass which starts to show up right about now...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×