Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

26 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Wow, yet another record demolished in the 2010s era.

I’m also at 14 days of 75+ dews, with 3 of those days touching 78 (7/2, 7/3, and today).

This new July record is following the August record since 1980 set in 2016.

Most August 75 degree or higher maximum dew point days at JFK since 1980

#1...14 days....2016

#2...12 days....1988...1984...1983

#3.....9 days....1999

#4.....7 days....2003...2001

#5.....6 days....2012...1998...1995

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Sarcasmometer recalibration maybe B)  What I'm getting at is that it hasn't been overly hot during the day compared to previous warm periods, the same way that we've been setting winter records where the days haven't been 'warm' but the nights haven't been as cold. I do understand though that this is what melts ice caps and warms bodies of water and creates the warming environment around them. It feels like cheating though as I want to see the big departures at the high end rather than incremental changes at the low end.

I see what you are saying. A lot of people tend to forget or not recognize that high dews do sometimes limit the high temperatures too. If you notice that when we have these stretches of high dew points, we tend to not set many record high temperatures (although we tend to set plenty of record low temps). 

• Thanks 1

I was out on the tennis court with my daughter a while ago and right around noon the clouds all of a sudden popped and started growing up quickly. At the same time the humidity jumped and the temp did too. It was like a cap had been lifted. Now it's mostly cloudy with dark clouds instead of this mornings puffy ones rather than mostly sunny and the air went stale and got heavy. 

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I was out on the tennis court with my daughter a while ago and right around noon the clouds all of a sudden popped and started growing up quickly. At the same time the humidity jumped and the temp did too. It was like a cap had been lifted. Now it's mostly cloudy with dark clouds instead of this mornings puffy ones rather than mostly sunny and the air went stale and got heavy. 

Saw some pillowy towers going up around 10/11 AM and thought we were in for early thunderstorms.  Nothing developed but the atmosphere seems pretty loaded.

• Like 1

Made it home after 3 hours on beach.   Sun, Thunder, Dark Clouds moving in.   Phone alarm just went off.

Alert is  FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR MY AREA.   Looks like slow movers.

Finally first drops after 1 hour.