• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Last time we had over 15.00 inches of rain during a calendar month was August 2011.

Baltimore (BWI) is up to 15.04 inches of rain this month. Closing in on the 18.35 inch all-time monthly record in Aug 1955. Remarkably that location has had three days of 3+ inch rainfall in the eight days ending yesterday (two days well past). That ties for the most in a YEAR. pic.twitter.com/lpVA3QUost

Radar indicating over 10 inches of rain over the last few days just east of Harrisburg (not including Saturday's soaker). Had this set up 30 miles east my rafting trip would be kaput.

Also I have to say the models have really struggled to get a hold of this convective situation. As much as they can be aggravating during the winter traditional coastal storms are much more their wheelhouse. The HRRR has probably been the least bad but situations like this are supposed to be its forte.

7 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

Radar indicating over 10 inches of rain over the last few days just east of Harrisburg (not including Saturday's soaker). Had this set up 30 miles east my rafting trip would be kaput.

I don't know about that, right now you can raft from the north end of PA to the south.  Actually you could probably make it all the way to the ocean just using major highways.

That line in PA is nuts. Bad news for them. It just doesn’t seem to be making much progress. I think part of our problem is we are now in a more stable marine environment. I have really been noticing the last few days you need water temps 80+ to get good convection going. Kind of like with hurricanes. Low to mid 70s just doesn’t cut it. Still holding out hope for better rains tonight and when I say hope the Wantagh meso is .99” for this entire event since Saturday 

Just now, psv88 said:

The cell blew up over LI and now is crushing CT

It was really small when it came through here earlier. But it was a nice downpour for about 2-3 minutes. Looks like a small circulation is trying to form with the blooming batch of convection near and east of the Jersey Shore.