• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

First time since the 1960's that so many of our stations had the July monthly high temperature on the 1st. Complete reversal from winter when the first week of January was our coldest week.

NYC....96....7/1

LGA....97.....7/1.....7/10

EWR...98.....7/1

JFK....94......7/1

ISP...95.......7/1

BDR..92.......7/1....7/10

44 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

For me that's been the worst part of this whole event. I don't mind a concentrated wet period so much but the random aspect of this has been demoralizing. You can't do anything outside because all of a sudden it gets wet. 

That rain plume running up the Thruway corridor this morning looks like a real soaker. 

Pretty amazing surge of tropical moisture. The firehose of rain just to our West stretches all the way down into the Bahamas.

52 minutes ago, bluewave said:

First time since the 1960's that so many of our stations had the July monthly high temperature on the 1st. Complete reversal from winter when the first week of January was our coldest week.

NYC....96....7/1

LGA....97.....7/1.....7/10

EWR...98.....7/1

JFK....94......7/1

ISP...95.......7/1

BDR..92.......7/1....7/10

Weather phenomena doesn't care what the human calendar dates are. First week, last week, blah blah ;) 

4 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days averaging 78degs., or 2degs. AN.

Month to date is  +1.6.   Should end July near +1.8.

RWTT is HHH as I warned previously for August.  No BN period shown for 5 weeks and our 500mbs. are the most AN for the whole country.   Let's go for an 80 degree average August.  lol.

JB where are you?

I always find it amazing how people follow JB, merely because he says what they want to hear. He is hardly ever accurate, presents very sketchy data, and yet people never question it. He beats the cold drum even in the midst of a heatwave. I just found it funny how this past weekend he was going on about D.C. being "below" average for temperature during the storm. Hmmm when it rains it typically is cooler than average.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

incredible training rains over BWI region...what a spring and summer down there.   Locally, 84/75 and mostly sunny.  Very Oppressive humidity.

New July rainfall record at Baltimore.

Baltimore has picked up 2.29 inches of rain today. That pushes its monthly total of 10.97" thru yesterday to 13.26" making this Baltimore's wettest July on record. It passes the previous record of 11.03 inches from 1889. Our latest forecast update: wapo.st/2uLM7Mh pic.twitter.com/1oUUeQLvAv

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Deep blue sunny skies here on the South Shore. Another day with a tropical air flow from near Bermuda. Dew points on Long Island are in the mid 70's.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/GOES_PA/loop60.html

IMG_0198.thumb.GIF.a7adc9994d93bf975db58a1f745c9e4e.GIF

Funny you should post this.  I travel to Bermuda fairly frequently and have thought that the past few days felt similar weatherwise.

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

For me that's been the worst part of this whole event. I don't mind a concentrated wet period so much but the random aspect of this has been demoralizing. You can't do anything outside because all of a sudden it gets wet. 

That rain plume running up the Thruway corridor this morning looks like a real soaker. 

Yeah the randomness does suck sometimes. Eventually I just start to accept or even embrace it. Warm, humid, unstable..I just go about my business and expect to get wet at some point.

Ive spent enough time in south FL to reach the point where you kinda stop planning around every potential rainfall and just take possibly of getting soaked as a normal thing.

Getting decent sunshine today, 83 dew 75

47 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Funny you should post this.  I travel to Bermuda fairly frequently and have thought that the past few days felt similar weatherwise.

Yeah, the WAR/STR axis was much further north than usual this month. Check out the anomalous easterly component to the winds near the East Coast. I will run the numbers when the month is over. But this looks close to record territory for the month of July.

IMG_0199.GIF.123e2d971190858a4411e8e55693a6b0.GIF

Pretty interesting cloud setup on the island right now. Full sunshine at my house in Wantagh with a solid cloud line visable to the north somewhere near the southern state. Just go to Jamaica on the life and it’s cloudy here. 

Even though it’s not technically a sea breeze we are seeing a sea breeze cloud pattern. Basically south Florida on the island today 

28 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

We've really lucked out with most of the heavy rain to our west. Kind of surprised honestly with how humid its been. 

I suspect we're going to make up for it in a big way the next two days. Not as much as what they've received but another widespread 2-3" for most locations.

48 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, those cloud streets starting just inland from the coast are more common in the SE. The 12z Euro shares the rainfall wealth with the coast especially Wed night. It has a nice high PWAT training signal.

That’s great, Nassau (south shore) especially did very poorly with the main event and the only had one quick downpour Sunday. We have had nothing since then not even a drop. Since freshwater flooding is a rarity around here and requires and insane amount of rain during a short period (say 5”+ in an hour) it’s welcome. The only time I experienced true fresh water flooding was in October 05 when the entire water table rose and that took 15”.

Flash Flood Watches expanded East. Expected to be expanded further East tonight or tomorrow.

Flood Watch
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
325 PM EDT Tue Jul 24 2018

NJZ001-007>010-012>020-026-027-251000-
/O.EXB.KPHI.FF.A.0009.000000T0000Z-180726T1000Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Somerset-Middlesex-
Western Monmouth-Eastern Monmouth-Mercer-Salem-Gloucester-Camden-
Northwestern Burlington-Ocean-Coastal Ocean-
Southeastern Burlington-
Including the cities of Newton, Washington, Morristown,
Flemington, Somerville, New Brunswick, Freehold, Sandy Hook,
Trenton, Pennsville, Glassboro, Camden, Cherry Hill, Moorestown,
Mount Holly, Jackson, Long Beach Island, and Wharton State Forest
325 PM EDT Tue Jul 24 2018

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly has expanded the

* Flash Flood Watch to include portions of central New Jersey,
  northern New Jersey, northwest New Jersey, and southern New
  Jersey, including the following areas, in central New Jersey,
  Eastern Monmouth, Mercer, and Western Monmouth. In northern
  New Jersey, Middlesex, Morris, Somerset, Sussex, and Warren.
  In northwest New Jersey, Hunterdon. In southern New Jersey,
  Camden, Coastal Ocean, Gloucester, Northwestern Burlington,
  Ocean, Salem, and Southeastern Burlington.

* Through late Wednesday night

* Showers and some thunderstorms are expected to become more
  numerous tonight and continue through Wednesday and Wednesday
  night. A tropical airmass will support areas of very heavy
  rain, especially where showers and thunderstorms move over the
  same area. Rainfall amounts over 1 inch in an hour will be
  possible, and any training of heavy showers will lead to even
  higher amounts.

* Excessive rainfall within a short period of time can lead to
  rapidly rising water and flash flooding, particularly in urban
  areas and along small creeks and streams.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Flash Flood Watch means that there is the potential for flash
flooding which can be life-threatening. Heavy rain is expected to
occur over a short period of time. Rapidly rising flood waters
may quickly inundate roadways and areas of poor drainage. Streams
and creeks could leave their banks, flooding nearby properties.

Please monitor the forecast, especially if you live in a location
that is prone to flooding. Be prepared to take action if a flash
flood warning is issued for your area.

&&

21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

In addition to the cloud streets just inland from the coast, they also show up really well over the Gulf Stream. You can see them dissipating over the cooler waters just to the north. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/GOES_US/loop60.html

You can also see the Labrador current and corresponding low clouds and fog. I guess water temps in the 60s/70s inhibit cloud development