Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

39 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's been fairly benign thus far, we'll see if we can get more organized convection. There's definitely more instability today, but not much of a trigger. 

Wednesday will give us the best chances, perhaps the region will escape any flooding rains. 

And then after wednesday it looks as if it will improve. The models aren't showing much for thursday through the weekend. Then perhaps an increase in activity early next week.

5 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

starting to think we haven't seen the worst of the WAR yet. the signal for late next week and beyond looks strong on the EPS and GFES

It's interesting how the models have been trying to weaken the WAR longer range but correct stronger the closer we get.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, doncat said:

My station has had 13 days this month where the dominant wind direction has been onshore.

I will take the high humidity over this kind of heat any day of the week. Another summer month here were the dew points are more impressive than the high temperatures.

5:03 pm: Waco has reached 114 degrees and broken its ALL TIME record high temperature of 112 set on August 11, 1969. #ctxwx #txwx

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I will take the high humidity over this kind of heat any day of the week. Another summer month here were the dew points are more impressive than the high temperatures.

5:03 pm: Waco has reached 114 degrees and broken its ALL TIME record high temperature of 112 set on August 11, 1969. #ctxwx #txwx

Absolutely brutal down in TX. Austin is at 109 degrees this hour and is expected to remain at around 100 degrees for highs over the next week. The cool front that should make it into TX likely won’t head that far south. 

The hottest when I lived down there was something like 105 degrees a few times, which was horrendous. 

50 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Absolutely brutal down in TX. Austin is at 109 degrees this hour and is expected to remain at around 100 degrees for highs over the next week. The cool front that should make it into TX likely won’t head that far south. 

The hottest when I lived down there was something like 105 degrees a few times, which was horrendous. 

The worst I ever experienced was the 100/75/113HX in LB on 7-5-99. 

https://english.wunderground.com/history/airport/KJFK/1999/7/5/DailyHistory.html

9 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

We're not clearing out today. Might get lucky and see a few breaks of sun, which would only help to destabilize even more.

The strongest axis of lift is working Westward, so the next 24 hours shouldn't be quite as wet in most locations, but chances for rain increase going into Wednesday. 

Sun poked through here a good bit this afternoon - made it up to 84.  

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Japan broke their record.

51 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The worst I ever experienced was the 100/75/113HX in LB on 7-5-99. 

https://english.wunderground.com/history/airport/KJFK/1999/7/5/DailyHistory.html

for metro Philly you have July 15th 1995 & then there's everything else, one of those events you'll never forget

a couple clips NCDC storm events database

"An oppressive heat wave gripped most of Eastern Pennsylvania. It 
climaxed on the 15th as almost every location reported record 
breaking heat. The dew point temperatures, reached into the 80s 
across southern Pennsylvania that day, an almost unheard of 
phenomena. This, combing with sweltering temperatures produced an 
apparent temperature of 129 degrees in Philadelphia."

"Record breaking high temperatures on the 15th included 104F in Lancaster, 
103F in Philadelphia (The highest in 29 years.) and Williamsport, 
101F in Selinsgrove, 100F in Avoca, 99F in Harrisburg and 98F in 
Allentown."

• Like 2

I'm pretty skeptical for heavy rains developing tonight east of that axis of precip in PA.  Looks like some fairly significant dry air is backing up into us from the east.

GOES 16 is an absolute trip, watching that cold front dig into the GOM is awesome.  Those thunderstorms in southern LA have been screaming all day.  It must be like 4"/hour rain under those cells, lol.  And tons of lightning.  Look at that moisture fetch running up the eastern seaboard.

https://imgur.com/a/fwvO9kt

July 15th 1995 I was dreaming about snow falling just before I woke up that morning...I'd say it was a good omen...July 2018 already has over 7" of rainfall in Central Park...The summer has over 9" so far...from 1870 to 1969 NYC averaged 11.9" of rainfall for the summer...since 1970 the average is up 10% to 13.3"...

18 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

I'm pretty skeptical for heavy rains developing tonight east of that axis of precip in PA.  Looks like some fairly significant dry air is backing up into us from the east.

GOES 16 is an absolute trip, watching that cold front dig into the GOM is awesome.  Those thunderstorms in southern LA have been screaming all day.  It must be like 4"/hour rain under those cells, lol.  And tons of lightning.  Look at that moisture fetch running up the eastern seaboard.

https://imgur.com/a/fwvO9kt

It’s not expected to really get going here till tomorrow afternoon. The RGEM has widespread 2” of rain here tomorrow night alone.

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Should be an interesting day with the focus shifting east again, not that PA will escape more rounds of hvy rain.

I usually post from Brooklyn, but up here in my summer home in The Catskills, Woodbourne, NY to be more exact. The Catskills do very well ( unfortunately) with that firehose kind of setup. Anyway so Saturday night and Sunday we were ok with on and off light to moderate rain with 1.21 inches. That changed overnight , we picked up a whopping 4.67 inches most of is falling in 2-3 hours early this morning. With close to 6 inches in the last 36 hours , any additional rain and lots of it are expected ,we can be looking at serious floods up here.

The Neversink River is very muddy and has been raging all day , the neversink reservoir which is 2-3 miles northwest of us is close to its floodgates ...   

31B87937-E4EC-4C05-9B4D-C61933F19A2C.jpeg

Next 8 days averaging 78degs., or 2degs. AN.

Month to date is  +1.6.   Should end July near +1.8.

RWTT is HHH as I warned previously for August.  No BN period shown for 5 weeks and our 500mbs. are the most AN for the whole country.   Let's go for an 80 degree average August.  lol.

JB where are you?

14 hours ago, forkyfork said:

starting to think we haven't seen the worst of the WAR yet. the signal for late next week and beyond looks strong on the EPS and GFES

..LC agrees with you..thinks the WAR builds westward late next week and we are 

back to H-H-H.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Have had intermittent downpours here for the last 36 hours. 30 seconds of pouring rain, then it stops and 15 minutes later again. Very squally.

For me that's been the worst part of this whole event. I don't mind a concentrated wet period so much but the random aspect of this has been demoralizing. You can't do anything outside because all of a sudden it gets wet. 

That rain plume running up the Thruway corridor this morning looks like a real soaker.