• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Loud thunder woke me up a little after 6am, but the storm missed me just a shade to the south. Only sprinkles here. One Piscataway station just a few miles away from me reported a half inch of rain. Frustrating for it to be so close. We really need the rain. The ground is bone dry and I was hoping to not have to water the garden today. Hopefully this next batch of rain moving into western Jersey won't miss me to the south as well. Looks like a close call with my area being near the edge again.

The weather apps are making it look like starting next weekend it will be chilly raw and dreary again for over a week straight and I sure hope this is not correct. We are in July and I don't want to see April weather in July. There was already talk that a 4-7 day heatwave may be possible again at the same time during that period and boy do I hope that one is right because I enjoy summer warmth but not cloudy cool chilly raw weather that isn't typical for July

The time frame that I'm mostly concerned about right now is from July 21-July 31 because right now every single weather app is making much of that time frame look more like April than July with rain chances every day with nothing but below normal temps and persistent cloud cover with no sun at all which I hope is not correct. There was one forecaster saying a possible 4-7 day heatwave may start on July 21 which I hope is correct. I hate cloudy chilly weather that isn't typical of July. And plus it looks like every forecaster was wrong about today. Forecast was for summer warmth and upper 80s and right now still only low 70s and rain. That is an awful job by all the forecasters and this why I always say that they should give up weather forecasting since this always happens. Have people thinking it's gonna be nice out and then it's miserable out. That makes me upset

Ok. But even the NWS in Upton NY is leaning towards those unreliable weather apps. They also have it in their discussion that a potential low pressure system may head towards the area by next weekend which is not a good sign because usually those types of systems don't bring July like weather. They bring well below normal temps and cloudy chilly raw weather that is typical of April which I hope not to see. One forecaster also said another possible 4-7 day heatwave may start around that same time frame from July 21 onward which I hope does happen because I love summery weather

1 hour ago, sferic said:

Little off topic but is the paid version of Radarscope worth it and if so, why?

Tier 1 is worth it in my opinion, I can’t justify Tier 2, we simply don’t get the quantity nor the quality of the storms seen in the Plains and the Midwest.

• Like 1

Another thing that is concerning me is about how wrong every forecaster was for today. They were drastically way off with their forecast for today. And plus it looks like every forecaster was wrong about today. Forecast was for summer warmth and upper 80s and right now still only low 70s and rain. That is an awful job by all the forecasters and this why I always say that they should give up weather forecasting since this always happens. Have people thinking it's gonna be nice out and then it's miserable out. That makes me upset

The rain last night didn't bother me. It's about the dayside today that has got me upset. They still were forecasting upper 80s and summer warmth after the morning storms and it's still well below normal out there right now with low 70s and still cloudy and rainy. Had everyone thinking it was gonna turn out nice and never did which is an awful job by the forecasters

Also hoping next weekend through the week of July 23 is not as miserable and overcast rainy with no sun like all those unreliable weather apps and nws is saying especially there is a forecaster that did mention that another summery 4-7 day heatwave might just be getting started next Saturday July 21

^^ sb what are you talking about, clouds, rain and miserable?  Do you see that visible sat shot SACRUS posted above? It's mostly clear around the area, it's warm, humid and summery. Don't pay so much attention to commercial forecasters, learn a bit about the weather by reading and listening here, learn how to utilize the tools available to you to come up with your own determinations of what's to come.  The next few weeks will most likely end up at or above normal temperature wise, sure there may be a bit more moisture than you'd like but we just went through a very dry period so we're "due" for some rain.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sb7916 said:

Rain is fine just as long as it's not the stratiform kind where it's the cloudy dreary all day kind with no sun at all which is what all those unreliable weather apps are saying including the nws itself in Upton NY with their mention of a potential low pressure to possibly affect the area by next weekend. If it's the kind where it's just scattered storms with the sun out in between with warm or hot and humid conditions that's fine just not the cloudy dreary stratiform type

What the hell are you talking about? No forecast shows rain and low 70s for days on end.