Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Just now, bluewave said:

Continues to look like the 2nd half of July will be wetter and cooler than the first half. The only question is by how much?

I expect to see models trend wetter-if that tough ends up over the Lakes-we'll have a southerly moist flow-maybe even a tropical feed up the coast...

Long Island is currently experiencing one of the driest first 12 days of July on record. Very similar to how NYC and EWR started July in 2010. Palm Springs, California actually is off to a wetter start to July.

through the 12th

JFK  .12...4th driest

ISP  .05.. 3rd

OKX  .08

FOK  .01

FRG  .11

2 rainfall records were SHATTERED on Wednesday, July 11th. Campo had 1.18", obliterating the old record of 0.0". It had never rained in Campo on July 11 until this year. Palm Springs received 1.08" of rain, destroying the old record of 0.03" set in 1999. #cawx #SanDiegoWX pic.twitter.com/BTTEMfLnBC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NortheastPAWx said:

Didn't even see that LGA and the Park had somehow picked up 0.60-0.70 of rain yesterday while JFK got zero.

A quick downpour came through that morning. Seemed to dissipate just as quick for JFK to get 0. Some plants around here seem to enjoy it but the ground was all dried up within an hr or so. As dry as its been I was a little suprised no one commented on the rain out of nowhere. Turns out very few saw it. 

1 hour ago, dWave said:

A quick downpour came through that morning. Seemed to dissipate just as quick for JFK to get 0. Some plants around here seem to enjoy it but the ground was all dried up within an hr or so. As dry as its been I was a little suprised no one commented on the rain out of nowhere. Turns out very few saw it. 

Was driving by JFK along Rockaway Boulevard at that time. Windshield had some very small drops of drizzle and had to use the wipers a few times. Streets never got wet and then it stopped.

2nd month in a row when areas to our north got hotter than EWR and LGA. 

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/2018-06-25-heat-wave-excessive-heat-midwest-northeast-south-end-june-early

7-1-18

Keene, New Hampshire, reached 102 degrees Sunday afternoon, breaking the previous daily record high of 100 degrees from 1913. The all-time record high in Keene is 104 degrees, set on July 3, 1911.

6-18-18

Yesterday's high temp at #Albany of 97F is the warmest since July 17, 2012. We haven't hit 100F since September 3, 1953. #nywx

4 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

models getting wet for Tue-Wed of next week

gfs_apcpn_neus_20.png

That would be incredible for the island. It's soooo dry out here.

incredible week at the beach with waves every day from Chris. The water today at jones beach was turquoise and you could see the bottom even in deep water. I saw several cow nose rays cruising through the waves along with dolphins and a school of tuna.  

• Like 3

Instead of messing with the temperatures, the GFS is now messing with the precipitation.    Who believes 7" in the next 16 days?   Total wipeout from the 21st. onward.   I say keep the AC grille clean and toss the umbrella.  lol.

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That would be incredible for the island. It's soooo dry out here.

incredible week at the beach with waves every day from Chris. The water today at jones beach was turquoise and you could see the bottom even in deep water. I saw several cow nose rays cruising through the waves along with dolphins and a school of tuna.  

...been so dry out here..bluewave noted FOK @ 0.10..and that jives with me..the whole lawn has turned brown.

looking forward to the beach the next couple of days although we might have to deal with some clouds.

2 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Instead of messing with the temperatures, the GFS is now messing with the precipitation.    Who believes 7" in the next 16 days?   Total wipeout from the 21st. onward.   I say keep the AC grille clean and toss the umbrella.  lol.

Definitely keep the umbrella, all signs point to a very active period last third of July into August. Could see another extreme reversal.

Next 8 days averaging 78degs., or 1deg. AN.

Month to date is  +3.3.    Should be  +2.5 by the 22nd.

Total precipitation for next 16 has been quartered.  The GFS should be 'cut & quartered' itself.   Some geek must have retuned it to give lower T's, since it is colder next 30 days than either the EURO/GEPS.

The warmest minimums continue to be more impressive than the warmest maximums so far this year.

Newark through July 13th

# of 75 or greater minimums....5.......5th highest on record.....record....9

#of  95 or greater maximums ..5.......8th highest on record....record.....13