• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

2nd day in a row with an 80 degree SST south of Fire Island inlet. Feels tropical on the South Shore with a 77 degree dewpoint at JFK. 

S Fire Island 1950            80 80  
  Kennedy Intl   FAIR          85 77

We almost joined the 600 dm club.

Last night’s 500mb geopotential height reached 599dm for both the Albany and Buffalo weather balloon  launches. These are remarkable numbers and both tied all-time records. (H/T Lance Bosart/MAP List) pic.twitter.com/oZONInX8AY

1 hour ago, doncat said:

Saturday will feel great...have an outdoor party to go to...great timing.

Yeah, and even tomorrow night will be good for sleeping with the windows open.  My forecast low is 56°, which should feel crisp after the heat.

• Like 2

July 1-5 at Newark is another case of the warm mins being more impressive than the maxes.

avg min.......76......#1 warmest on record

min max......77......#5

avg max......93.6....#6

max max.....98.......#7

avg .............84.8.....#2

• Like 1

This mornings low was 76 which is the warmest minimum I’ve recorded IMBY, records going back to 2005. Of course that will be wiped out this evening for the day but that won’t change how stuffy last night was around here. It’s rare for me to have a low in the 70’s, nearly always squeak into the 60’s here. 

• Like 3

Low of 77 here, which is one of the warmest I’ve experienced while living in Long Island. Countless 80+ degree lows in Queens however, one as high as 85.

Dew Point has been above 70 since 6:30 AM on July 1st. 5 days and today should be the last day.

27 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We'll see if the 98 high on 7-1 at Newark can hold as the warmest of the month. It would be the first time since 1963 that the monthly max occurred on the first day of July. The May monthly max of 94 was the earliest on the 3rd.

The clouds on 7/3,4 killed N-NJ - heat-wise / max potential. Plenty of heat building and overall higher heights should see some potential between 7/11 - 7/18, we'll see (clouds/storms).

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

This mornings low was 76 which is the warmest minimum I’ve recorded IMBY, records going back to 2005. Of course that will be wiped out this evening for the day but that won’t change how stuffy last night was around here. It’s rare for me to have a low in the 70’s, nearly always squeak into the 60’s here. 

56 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Low of 77 here, which is one of the warmest I’ve experienced while living in Long Island. Countless 80+ degree lows in Queens however, one as high as 85.

Dew Point has been above 70 since 6:30 AM on July 1st. 5 days and today should be the last day.

But I thought it was only UHI that caused the warm lows! :D ;)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Just light rain now on the south shore. Hopefully we aren’t stuck in the squeeze play between best rains 

The South Shore is currently between the heavier storms to our south and north. It would be nice for the back edge over PA to fill in a bit more before moving east. Lawns here that don't get watered regularly are brown.