Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2018 General Discussion

Hoosier

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

It’s just amazing to me how much warmer ORD and MDW readings have been compared to here. I have been 89’d more times than I can count this year 

Today was the 14th 90+ day at ORD. They have been 89'd a total of 4 times this year.

ORD was 89'd 10 times in 2002.  The horror.

MLI has 23 90+ days so far.  Funny thing is the max of the summer of 99 occurred back in late May.  More than likely will not be beaten, as it's pretty hard to get much above 95 unless we really dry out for a long period of time.  We probably would have tagged 100 3-5 times this summer if the crops were like they were back in the old days before the frankencorn was developed.  

This past 30 days has really been good on the moisture for many areas of the northern Plains and western Kansas. I guess these areas are stealing the rain from Michigan and vicinity, and northern Missouri, Kansas City region. Even my area in Colorado has gotten over 2" in 30 days, which is above normal for here.

6BPLqzB.png

27 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

OFB and storm timing was key in preventing a higher hourly OBS, no doubt.

Interestingly, ORD never actually logged 93 on the 6 hourly max temp.  Made me wonder if there was some kind of mistake but 93 is what is on the CLI

There's a robust MCS ongoing over here this morning.  It's the classic back-building, storms-on-the-back-edge scenario.  I've been on the front edge, so it's just a solid slow-soaker here.  An area just southwest of Cedar Rapids has received 2-3 inches of rain this morning, with more heavy rain popping over them.  It's going to take a while for this stuff to dissipate, so afternoon instability is iffy.

14 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

1.5"+ in SW MI over the last week with places over 4" and we go into D0.  Interesting.

Yeah that is surprising.  It's not like it fell after the Tuesday cutoff.

Here's the text for Michigan:

In Michigan, topsoil was rated at 68 percent short to very short and subsoil conditions were 72 percent short to very short. Local reports indicated that soybeans in parts of Michigan were less than 2 feet high and the leaves were flipped and showing their undersides. USDA reported that soybean conditions were 20 percent poor to very poor across the entire state. 

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Most of lower MI is in D0-D1 now.

20180724_Midwest_trd.thumb.jpg.0b8fa7d75d16d739216525429f32cacb.jpg

Last weekend we were treated to nice cool highs in the low 70s due to overcast conditions but the rain was light. Today a brief but good storm blew through here, complete with hail, but only dropped 0.20". This brings the July total imby to only 0.88"! That is very dry for any month but especially summer. DTW fared a little better, picking up 0.36" with the storm for 1.26" on the month.