Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2018 General Discussion

Hoosier

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

3km NAM going off the deep end forecasting lows in the mid 40s tomorrow night.  Those temps would be 35+ degree lower than the dews we've been experiencing lately lol.  We likely won't get that cool, but it's going to be great opening the windows and letting that cool air filter through the house.  :guitar:

6qzbpw.jpg

Flurries incoming. 

• Like 1

After the incredible humidity over the past week, ORD was 80/32 at 1:00 PM local time today, for an RH of 17%.  Haven't seen an RH level that low in Chicago for awhile...and honestly I can't remember ever seeing a dewpoint as low as 32 in July before.  Of course the Td’s at ORD seem to be running low recently.  Has NWS LOT opened an official inquiry into this?

Either way...a brief oasis of intense dryness in a sea of unbearable humidity...and one extreme to the other....kind of sums up 2018 so far.

21 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

After the incredible humidity over the past week, ORD was 80/32 at 1:00 PM local time today, for an RH of 17%.  Haven't seen an RH level that low in Chicago for awhile...and honestly I can't remember ever seeing a dewpoint as low as 32 in July before.  Of course the TDd's at ORD seem to be running low recently.  Has NWS LOT opened an official inquiry into this?

Either way...a brief oasis of intense dryness in a sea of unbearable humidity...and one extreme to the other....kind of sums up 2018 so far.

I noticed this too, I was even surprised that most places in the Great Lakes had the dews drop into the 40s on Friday; for awhile the forecast dews were waffling between the upper 40s and 50s for this cool stretch.  I'm not thinking the dew in the low 30s is legit.

Looks like today will be day #20 AOA 90 for MLI.  Should add some additional days this week.  The Sun-Mon period is looking very hot, with some 100 degree potential, especially over the very dry soils of southeast IA/western IL.  The Euro gets 850s up into the mid 20s, and 925mb temps up into the lower 30s.  We've really dried out here lately, as we've had <1/2" of rain since June 22.  Temps won't be hindered by very wet soils this go around like they recently were.  Southwesterly surface flow will also help pump in even hotter air from southeast IA as well.  

7 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like today will be day #20 AOA 90 for MLI.  Should add some additional days this week.  The Sun-Mon period is looking very hot, with some 100 degree potential, especially over the very dry soils of southeast IA/western IL.  The Euro gets 850s up into the mid 20s, and 925mb temps up into the lower 30s.  We've really dried out here lately, as we've had <1/2" of rain since June 22.  Temps won't be hindered by very wet soils this go around like they recently were.  Southwesterly surface flow will also help pump in even hotter air from southeast IA as well.  

Question is whether that will still be there by this weekend.  Euro has been too warm aloft at times in the medium range.

23 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Question is whether that will still be there by this weekend.  Euro has been too warm aloft at times in the medium range.

Yeah it already lost it.  Pushed everything south.  Looks hot later this week though.  

MLI hit 92 today, hit 91 here.  Didn't feel too bad though with the upper 60 degree dews.

Don't see much in the way of meaningful severe anytime soon.  Apparently there won't be a derecho season this year.  There was that derecho a few weeks ago, but other than that it's been a very benign season.  Basically we're getting 4 Augusts this year.  :axe:

We are the new kings of being 89’d, once again temps failed to reach 90. Storm blew up and dropped temps down to the mid 70s. 

Cant believe how fast summer is going, almost at the halfway point of met summer. Before we know it, corn will be harvested and the first taste of fall air will shortly follow. 

10 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's very hot for no ac!

Just got back from vacation earlier this week and we spent two days in NH staying in an old farm house with no AC.  It was 95 the day we arrived.  I would agree with you.  93 and no AC is a little on the toasty side, especially in the evening as you are trying to go to sleep and things haven't cooled off for the night yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

I just saw DTW's high yesterday.

With a max hourly observation of only 86*F, how in the hell did 93*F happened? :lol:

Seems like it was a malfunction with the ASOS or something.  DTX did not go with that as the high per the climate report. They went with 86.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Seems like it was a malfunction with the ASOS or something.  DTX did not go with that as the high per the climate report. They went with 86.

Yes, there was work being done on a sensor at the time. The temperature was discounted as being false.

48 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Today once looked like it would hit 90-91, but instead cloud debris moved in and limited ORD to only 87.

Tomorrow has the potential for mid-90's, but once again cloud debris may end up being an issue.

MKE had cloud debris all morning, I think snuck in a small amount of rain with the decaying storms, and is still making a late run at 90F (with their UHI environment aiding).  I’m surprised ORD and the Chicago area’s temps stalled due to a little cloud debris.