Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2018 General Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Lawns look a little browner compared to a couple days ago.  There were decent rains a while back but the past week has been somewhat dry around here. Outside of whatever happens in the next day or so, the pattern coming up doesn't look very wet for a while.  

Cue Chicagowx to accuse me of banging the drought drum. :guitar:

^I'm gonna have to remember to type this paragraph the next time I want some nice downpours lol.  :lmao:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

I'd say a pretty nice Fourth of July, and interesting weather.  Went down to Summerfest right along Lake Michigan where it was a much more manageable 80F or so with still plenty of humidity but a comfortable breeze.  Then as I was returning, the skies opened up and a thunderstorm dropped around an inch of rain through parts of the Milwaukee Metro.  One of the more impressive thunderstorms this season, just a ton of thunder and lightning.  Not so good for the fireworks displays around here, I'll bet most of them will be postponed.

Went on here. Probably cleared out in the nick of time for most all also.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

You mean the town/city fireworks? That's why they should be scheduled for the 3rd (so that the 4th can be the backup day).

Boooooo.

You mean the town/city fireworks? That's why they should be scheduled for the 3rd (so that the 4th can be the backup day).

The big Milwaukee fireworks display is always on the 3rd, but I meant a lot of the north and west burbs fireworks.  Despite grass being really wet and fog having rolled in it appears, one of Milwaukee's parks fireworks displays went on as scheduled.

Huge thunder.  Sounded like a bomb went off.  Love those.  

Yep, similar here with some of the thunder earlier.  Not many in this subforum have been dry this warm season, but it sounds like your neck of the woods has been one of the exceptions, so good to hear you're getting a decent soaker!

8 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Yep, similar here with some of the thunder earlier.  Not many in this subforum have been dry this warm season, but it sounds like your neck of the woods has been one of the exceptions, so good to hear you're getting a decent soaker!

You hogged all of the thunder again until a last second blowup over me.  dropped a nice quick down pour on a chimney of charcoal I had fired up to finish off a nice sear on some ribeye's. 

You steak lovers need to check this  out and follow the directions.   

• Haha 1

Just now, UMB WX said:

You hogged all of the thunder until a last second blowup over me.  dropped a nice quick down pour on a chimney of charcoal I had fired up to finish off a nice sear on some ribeye's. 

You steak lovers need to check this  crack out and follow the directions.   

Yeah, I'm sorry.  Lately the northern and western part of the metro have been doing well with the convective events.  This time of year in particular they tend to be very hit and miss, of the popup variety like this one with the low shear, high cape environment.  Here's to some better luck for you :D

5 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Yeah, I'm sorry.  Lately the northern and western part of the metro have been doing well with the convective events.  This time of year in particular they tend to be very hit and miss, of the popup variety like this one with the low shear, high cape environment.  Here's to some better luck for you :D

Keep your luck bish :wub:  I'm banking for a chance of winter jackpots.   Bring back Geo's.. Since he's been gone.. Winter snow has been MIA.

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2018 at 10:03 PM, Chinook said:

Toledo overachieved with 91 (sub-hourly max) with dew points of 73 in the afternoon. The streak is at 5 days of 90 temperatures and 5 days of 70 dew points.

Toledo had high 95, low 72, today as a July 4th scorcher. This makes 6 days of 90 degrees, 6 days of 70+ dew points. I would hate the dew points if I were there. Tomorrow, it seems that upper 80's will be the high, and heavy rain is possible, or maybe even likely near Toledo.

Unfortunately nature's fireworks got 2 people

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
1125 PM CDT WED JUL 4 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0800 PM     LIGHTNING        SHERIDAN                41.53N 88.69W
07/04/2018                   LA SALLE           IL   BROADCAST MEDIA

REPORT OF 2 PEOPLE CRITICALLY INJURED FROM A LIGHTNING
            STRIKE PRIOR TO THE FIREWORKS IN SHERIDAN. TIME NOT YET
            KNOWN AND IS APPROXIMATE.

&&

$$

KDONOFRI

One of the warmest max and min temps on record for the 4th of July for Chicago this year...

Warmest 4th of July High Temps:
102 - 2012
102 - 1911
98 - 1949
96 - 1990
96 - 1977
95 - 1921
95 - 1919
95 - 1901
94 - 2003
94 - 1971
94 - 1969
94 - 1913
94 - 1897
93 - 2018
93 - 1999

Warmest 4th of July Low Temps:
80 - 1921
79 - 2012
79 - 1999
78 - 1911
78 - 1897
77 - 1990
77 - 1913
76 - 2018
75 - 1901
75 - 1900

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Unfortunately nature's fireworks got 2 people

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
1125 PM CDT WED JUL 4 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0800 PM     LIGHTNING        SHERIDAN                41.53N 88.69W
07/04/2018                   LA SALLE           IL   BROADCAST MEDIA

REPORT OF 2 PEOPLE CRITICALLY INJURED FROM A LIGHTNING
            STRIKE PRIOR TO THE FIREWORKS IN SHERIDAN. TIME NOT YET
            KNOWN AND IS APPROXIMATE.

&&

$$

KDONOFRI

Apparently there was another person struck... in the Loop.  

My streak of no storms for 2018 might be coming to an end soon, however the blob to my north is virtually not moving at all so for now just rumbles (fairly decent ones) of thunder. The convection to my west is not doing so well and is pulsing downwards. Great clouds today and the heat feels extra good but torrid.

I had a pop-up rainshower over me out of nowhere and that smell...incredible! Still extremely hot during it and sunny too. Full sun now, convection to my west dying off as it heads over me, and the main stuff to my north is sliding a bit to the east so maybe I'll miss this too :lol:.

• Haha 1

19th 90+ day at MLI today, as they hit 92.  Saw lots of distant thunderheads again today, but received zero precip.  Still don't need it too badly, but the grass is starting to show signs of drying out a bit.  The next wave of heat may have a little more potential, as this general area has dried out some since the last heat spell.