• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TruthSeeker2020
    Newest Member
    TruthSeeker2020
(((Will)))

Houghton area flooding

Huge issues here with flooding but not really sure exactly the extent of it. Had pouring rain and storms the entire night.

Even made it into the Atlanta Journal and Constitution.

https://www.ajc.com/news/flash-flooding-washes-out-roads-opens-sinkholes-upper-michigan/by1Q6WGknT0maSmmRuNF1K/

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/news/Flooding-in-Houghton-County-485767571.html

cc410.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is from John Dee, over at JohnDee.com in the discussion forums.

It's bad. We have been very fortunate, as the rains were not as heavy north of Calumet. We picked up around 2", but others from Lake Linden south to just south of Houghton 6"+.

They are telling everyone to just stay home and off the roads, and we are doing just that. As much as I would like to check out all that is happening just south of us, those doing rescues and other emergency work do not need that kind of extra stuff to worry about. So I am currently getting all of my info through social media and phone calls.

A far as what kind of help is needed, I am not sure just yet, because I think those in the thick of it are also in the fog of war and just doing what needs to be done immediately. A more thorough assessment will be done and I am sure there will be lists of things needed. When that happens, I will be sure to let everyone know here.

Thanks for the concerns and offers to help, the help will be needed. -John

Where I am almost everything is fine. I'm literally on the top of the spine of the Keweenaw...so everything just rolls downhill from this area. The issue I foresee is...living on a peninsula, can I still get around? I'm not sure how bad the roads are in and out, but Houghton/Hancock is a choke point in that I absolutely cannot get south of here without going through downtown Houghton/Hancock and across the lift bridge.

Who knows.

38 minutes ago, Stebo said:

These pictures are insane, incredible damage all over the city.

A thing to remember about these areas - Houghton, Hancock, Lake Linden, Dollar Bay, etc, is that they're on the sides of very steep ridges that drop 700 feel in less than half a mile. Literally all of the town roads and residential areas are squished up the sides of these steep hills. The towns are a mess.

I took just a few pictures around the outskirts of Hancock - didn't want to go too far in Houghton and get in the way of emergency services, etc These pictures are all within a quarter mile of each other pretty much.

1529257897095.JPEG

1529257867180.JPEG

1529257886634.JPEG

1529257874250.JPEG

13 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Heading up there late Thursday with a volunteer group from negaunee. Me and the other half teamed up with Oreilly’s auto parts, Negaunee and donated a truck and enclosed trailer to haul supplies the area needs. Such as disaster.

I went out today and yesterday - I didn't realize till today just how badly the area was hit. It's not just damaged side roads - some people are literally stranded at home. Many lost vehicles and their houses. Things are particularly bad around the southern side of Houghton and over towards Dollar Bay and Lake Linden. It's shocking - road after road are gutted and the entire downtown area is flooded with dirt and rocks.

Even today the Portage Canal is dirty orange/brown because of how much dirt flooded into it.

My great-uncle lives 1 mile upstream from this gauge on the Trap Rock River north of Lake Linden. The rise of ~5' doesn't appear dramatic, but the record is only 2' greater and the immediate valley is extremely flat compared to the surrounding hills. The drop from Calumet to his house is just shy of 600'. Going to see if I can follow-up with him tonight to see what's going on.

NWS River Gauge.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

My great-uncle lives 1 mile upstream from this gauge on the Trap Rock River north of Lake Linden. The rise of ~5' doesn't appear dramatic, but the record is only 2' greater and the immediate valley is extremely flat compared to the surrounding hills. The drop from Calumet to his house is just shy of 600'. Going to see if I can follow-up with him tonight to see what's going on.

NWS River Gauge.jpg

Yeah. The areas just downhill from Calumet on the Lake Linden side seem to have taken the brunt of it. I haven't even been there yet - though it's typically my way back from Houghton (it's a nicer drive than 41) and I had been there literally the evening before. Tho - I don't want to get in the way. That literally is a serious situation.

3 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

Yeah. The areas just downhill from Calumet on the Lake Linden side seem to have taken the brunt of it. I haven't even been there yet - though it's typically my way back from Houghton (it's a nicer drive than 41) and I had been there literally the evening before. Tho - I don't want to get in the way. That literally is a serious situation.

I have seen some pictures on Facebook of the Lake Linden area, it was bad there.