• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

On 8/28/2018 at 1:06 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

That makes sense for a winter lover. A good friend of mine just moved to Baltimore a few months ago and loves it down there. Another is likely joining soon in DC. Had 6 friends move to California too. No one wants to stay here. ^_^

I've lived all over the place, and I love it here. People are way more friendly in a real way than in the south. The "city of good neighbors" slogan is the truth.

Schools are way better here than most places I've lived. We pay more in taxes here than in the south, but less than you would think - I lived in a place with a 9.25% sales tax on EVERYTHING, including food, medicine, etc., and it adds up fast. And as someone whose surviving parent is facing health challenges, I can tell you that the elderly support services here are great.

Much of NYS (like a lot of other places) has taken a lot of hits from the way the economy has been restructured to favor low wage services, and the playing field has been tilted hugely against working people. Economic opportunity is better here than it used to be, but it's not nearly as good as many other places. But the quality of life here is extremely good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Congrats THM! Like Buffalo Weather said yesterday having a poster in the heart of some of the heaviest snow bands off the great Lakes will be awesome for live updates! 

This forum is gonna get a lot of visitors in the winter, thanks to our very well situated members!

29 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

That’s long range cooldown that was being advertised on the GFS is long gone now with the last several runs consistently showing mid and upper 80s persisting right through the middle of September with no cooldowns in sight. Can someone make this stop, please?

I feel like it's gonna take something major to disrupt this pattern. Maybe a significant tropical system will finally get this ridge to budge.

32 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

That’s long range cooldown that was being advertised on the GFS is long gone now with the last several runs consistently showing mid and upper 80s persisting right through the middle of September with no cooldowns in sight. Can someone make this stop, please?

Looking at the long range feels like Charlie Brown as he stupidly tries  to kick the football I know Lucy is bound to pull away!!!

2 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Have off today and went for 3 mile run, I see what you’re saying took a 15 min cold shower to get my body temp down to normal. 

4 hours ago, WNash said:

I've lived all over the place, and I love it here. People are way more friendly in a real way than in the south. The "city of good neighbors" slogan is the truth.

Schools are way better here than most places I've lived. We pay more in taxes here than in the south, but less than you would think - I lived in a place with a 9.25% sales tax on EVERYTHING, including food, medicine, etc., and it adds up fast. And as someone whose surviving parent is facing health challenges, I can tell you that the elderly support services here are great.

Much of NYS (like a lot of other places) has taken a lot of hits from the way the economy has been restructured to favor low wage services, and the playing field has been tilted hugely against working people. Economic opportunity is better here than it used to be, but it's not nearly as good as many other places. But the quality of life here is extremely good.

I’ve traveled all over the world and I agree Buffalo holds a special place in my heart. But they’re are many places I could see myself moving to. Family and my social network all reside here so it’s always tough to leave that. I’d also miss going to Bills and Sabres games too much. My uncle and aunt have a condo on the water near west palm beach. It’s worth 5-600k and their taxes are under $3k also no state tax. That same house in the village of Hamburg and you’re paying 15-25k in taxes per year plus our high sales tax. 

14 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Congrats THM! Like Buffalo Weather said yesterday having a poster in the heart of some of the heaviest snow bands off the great Lakes will be awesome for live updates! 

12 hours ago, WNash said:

This forum is gonna get a lot of visitors in the winter, thanks to our very well situated members!

Thanks, TS18! :)

Looking forward to following upstate weather with all of you!

• Like 1

What a beautiful day so far, temp is 68 no humidity and a little breeze, i could take every summer day being like this. 

Looks like the jungle weather returns next week uggg. 

Hoping the weekend is great also, big weekend in Oswego for classic weekend at Oswego Speedway. I'll be there all weekend, great racing, great friends and cold beer. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Buffalo Weather do you know where to find the 3 month stretch of Feb, Mar and Apr of 2018? I would tend to believe a very similar anomaly negatively would be likely. The bigger question is how strange would it be to have 2 seasons in the same year with such large temperature differences?

I'll post the numbers for the entire year when I get home from work. Feb 2018 was a torch wasn't it? 

5 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Buffalo Weather do you know where to find the 3 month stretch of Feb, Mar and Apr of 2018? I would tend to believe a very similar anomaly negatively would be likely. The bigger question is how strange would it be to have 2 seasons in the same year with such large temperature differences?

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/201802

Yes it was and I was able to pull up the buffalo winter summary '17-'18. Nov, Dec, Jan, Mar and April were all below normal with April being historically cold. So 5 of the 6 months were below normal witj February being do warm it almost pushed the seasonal average to normal for the winter period and did so do Rochester. 

54 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Yes it was and I was able to pull up the buffalo winter summary '17-'18. Nov, Dec, Jan, Mar and April were all below normal with April being historically cold. So 5 of the 6 months were below normal witj February being do warm it almost pushed the seasonal average to normal for the winter period and did so do Rochester. 

December and April were very cold, relative to normal. It's funny, we have had six BN months and six AN months, but the AN departures are significantly higher than the BN departures, so the last year has been way above normal.

10 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

2018: +1.1 (August and September will add to that)

2017: +1.7

2016: +2.9

2015: +.3

2014: -1.2

2013: +.5

2012: +3.8

2011: +1.3

Welcome to global warming. 

10 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

https://www.weather.gov/buf/coopdata

4 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Looks to be more of a western based or modoki El Nino. If that verifies the warmer waters would stay west of 3.4 and allow a colder scenario for our region. 

Yep. Central/Western based El Ninos are the best for sustained cold in the northeast/GL. An East based Nino results in a warmer winter. 

Screen-Shot-2018-07-15-at-11.25.38-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2018-07-15-at-11.10.24-AM.png

• Like 2

On August 30, 2018 at 9:10 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

Congrats! I look forward to your obs.

I also have a business idea for you. Think Airbnb but for wx weenies :lol: 

Ha! The next door neighbor (half mile down the road) has an Air B&B. I have always wanted to own a Bed and Breakfast.

The past couple weekends have been insane with all these city slickers coming up here. I am assured by locals things will quiet down..and then pick up during the winter. The weeks are soooo much quieter than the weekends.

The past couple days, the temperature has been awesome. Upper 60s/70 for a high. Went to the Redfield Old Homes Day Parade this evening (picture below). Can tell fall is on the way...hopefully for good after this hot spell this week.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 9:01 PM, TugHillMatt said:

Ha! The next door neighbor (half mile down the road) has an Air B&B. I have always wanted to own a Bed and Breakfast.

The past couple weekends have been insane with all these city slickers coming up here. I am assured by locals things will quiet down..and then pick up during the winter. The weeks are soooo much quieter than the weekends.

The past couple days, the temperature has been awesome. Upper 60s/70 for a high. Went to the Redfield Old Homes Day Parade this evening (picture below). Can tell fall is on the way...hopefully for good after this hot spell this week.

image.jpeg

Good to know there’s an Air BB up there. I’m just about ready to buy a 4Runner and will hopefully make a trek or two up there during ‘the weather’. 

Get ready and welcome aboard!

• Like 2