• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

41 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Interesting Read...  An official climate review has ruled the Erie Snowfall for 2017-2018 as UNOFFICAL due to an inexperienced observation team and poor measuring practices!  

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring-content/extremes/scec/reports/20180723-Pennsylvania-Snowfall.pdf

Wow! We all knew this to be true, but so many people were denying it. The measurements were taken from people not even interested in weather or meteorology. How does that even happen for a city with 100k+ people? 24 hour and monthly records remain what they were. They are completely tossing all measurements from Erie last year.  Go post that on the golden snowball on facebook.

40 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Wow! We all knew this to be true, but so many people were denying it. The measurements were taken from people not even interested in weather or meteorology. How does that even happen for a city with 100k+ people? 24 hour and monthly records remain what they were. They are completely tossing all measurements from Erie last year.  Go post that on the golden snowball on facebook.

This makes me so happy.  That stupid "record" was so obviously bogus from day 1.  There is still hope in this world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAIDEsNow! said:

Thank you weather Gods that BS Erie record was junked. I am so happy!

Looking forward to providing you folks with some accurate snowfall amounts from my new place out be the Peak!

Awesome to have another poster! This is the only part of the forum that doesn't post in any season besides winter, so feel free to post observations all year! 

Friend of mine just moved near Yellowstone this last week. Today she posted pics of snow on the ground and 34 degrees up in the higher elevations on instagram. Pretty early for snow in that location I would think.

Top analog so far for this upcoming winter is 76-77. Really early but weak/modoki Ninos result are the best winters in our region. Looking forward to the 3 posters that are smack dab in the middle of 3 snowbelts that we haven't had. Redfield, Altmar, and Chautauqua ridge. 

• Like 3

Hurricane Lane is going to come really close to Hawaii. Right now a Cat 5. 
Amazing how quickly she died off yesterday after hitting a Cat5. I think the Islands have had enough Natural disasters for one year. The Eruption, wild fires and then a Cat5, wow. Wouldn't of been welcomed at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

57DC4943-E034-4EA2-A81D-E51092EB6489.jpeg.012738cc8fed47b7f278eebd37d3668b.jpeg

SYRACUSE (WSYR-TV) - The summer of 2018 in Syracuse is now the most humid in at least 45 years! 

As of August 19th, Syracuse has felt dew points at or exceeding 70 degrees for 36 days!
Dew point temperature is a way to measure the amount of moisture in the air. The higher the dew point the higher the moisture content in the air. In general, the higher the dew point the more uncomfortable it feels.

While everyone has their own sense of what a ‘humid’ day is, most central New Yorkers notice it feeling humid when the dew point creeps into the mid 60s. Dew points in the 70s usually signals a change to more tropical-like conditions.

Since 1997, the most days during the June through August period with a dew point of 70 or better prior to this summer was 32 days set in 2010 prior to this summer. The average over the past 20 years is 19 days...2018 has exceeded both!

Even broken down into hours where the dew points have exceeded 70° is impressive. Syracuse averages 135 hours of 70°+ dew points a year. This summer (through August 19th) we are at 90 hours! The previous high was in 1973 with 343 hours which is far back as we have hourly records.

That's about 4 times greater than normal and the most humid summer in at least 45 years!

To put more perspective on this, Atlanta, known for its hot and humid summers, averages 570 hours with the dew point 70°+. So safe to say, this has been an Atlanta-like summer with regards to humidity at least!

For as humid as it has been here in Syracuse it still pales in comparison to what it typically is like along the Gulf coast....

Houston: 3432 hours
New Orleans: 4017 hours
Miami: 4165 hours

While it has been more humid this summer, Syracuse is still not ranked as one of the top 10 warmest summer's on record.  As of August 19th we were ranked as 12th warmest with 11 days above 90 degrees. No daily record high temperatures have been set in Syracuse this summer. Guess it goes to show you, it's not the heat, it's the humidity

Great post!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 8/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, wolfie09 said:

57DC4943-E034-4EA2-A81D-E51092EB6489.jpeg

SYRACUSE (WSYR-TV) - The summer of 2018 in Syracuse is now the most humid in at least 45 years! 

As of August 19th, Syracuse has felt dew points at or exceeding 70 degrees for 36 days!
Dew point temperature is a way to measure the amount of moisture in the air. The higher the dew point the higher the moisture content in the air. In general, the higher the dew point the more uncomfortable it feels.

While everyone has their own sense of what a ‘humid’ day is, most central New Yorkers notice it feeling humid when the dew point creeps into the mid 60s. Dew points in the 70s usually signals a change to more tropical-like conditions.

Since 1997, the most days during the June through August period with a dew point of 70 or better prior to this summer was 32 days set in 2010 prior to this summer. The average over the past 20 years is 19 days...2018 has exceeded both!

Even broken down into hours where the dew points have exceeded 70° is impressive. Syracuse averages 135 hours of 70°+ dew points a year. This summer (through August 19th) we are at 90 hours! The previous high was in 1973 with 343 hours which is far back as we have hourly records.

That's about 4 times greater than normal and the most humid summer in at least 45 years!

To put more perspective on this, Atlanta, known for its hot and humid summers, averages 570 hours with the dew point 70°+. So safe to say, this has been an Atlanta-like summer with regards to humidity at least!

For as humid as it has been here in Syracuse it still pales in comparison to what it typically is like along the Gulf coast....

Houston: 3432 hours
New Orleans: 4017 hours
Miami: 4165 hours

While it has been more humid this summer, Syracuse is still not ranked as one of the top 10 warmest summer's on record.  As of August 19th we were ranked as 12th warmest with 11 days above 90 degrees. No daily record high temperatures have been set in Syracuse this summer. Guess it goes to show you, it's not the heat, it's the humidity

Is it just me or is there a major typo in this write up?  The above legend says that Syracuse had 577 hours of dewpoints above 70.  But then down below in the write up it says:

"Even broken down into hours where the dew points have exceeded 70° is impressive. Syracuse averages 135 hours of 70°+ dew points a year. This summer (through August 19th) we are at 90 hours! The previous high was in 1973 with 343 hours which is far back as we have hourly records."

Where the hell do they get 90 hours and why would that deserve and exclamation point?  90 hours is less than the normal average of 135.  If they had said that Syracuse had 577 hours, that would make sense.  So which is it?  Why are articles so poorly written and edited.  Overall the whole article loses direction with glaring typos that contradict the main point.  

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Loved my time in DC but I’d take CT ten times out of ten. Especially in winter lol

That makes sense for a winter lover. A good friend of mine just moved to Baltimore a few months ago and loves it down there. Another is likely joining soon in DC. Had 6 friends move to California too. No one wants to stay here. ^_^

7 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Dewpoint of 76 in the ROC right now, might be the high point of the summer.  

Dews here are still low 70s. Very sultry evening, reminds me of when Gulf air floods the southeast in July and August. So glad for central air.  

Finally starting to see signs of a pattern change at 240 on the GFS. Fingers crossed that this relentless, brutal summer is finally finished off in the second week of September.

7 hours ago, WNash said:

Dews here are still low 70s. Very sultry evening, reminds me of when Gulf air floods the southeast in July and August. So glad for central air.  

Finally starting to see signs of a pattern change at 240 on the GFS. Fingers crossed that this relentless, brutal summer is finally finished off in the second week of September.

Walked the dog at dusk last night and felt like I was swimming in a warm pool, definitely the most humid night of the summer so far. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Revracer800 said:

I was tired of the heat and humidity a month and a half ago haha. 

This humidity is horrible. So ready for fall and cooler weather. 

I guess that leaves only me and BW as fans of this heat and humidity.  It's intense but I love it.  Just feels so warm and inviting outside.  Here's hoping it lasts until October 1st and then we go right into a hard fall.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I guess that leaves only me and BW as fans of this heat and humidity.  It's intense but I love it.  Just feels so warm and inviting outside.  Here's hoping it lasts until October 1st and then we go right into a hard fall.  

I spent college summers on a drywall crew, and growing up in the southeast, we learned that humid days were the worst. Your body just can't cool down - you sweat and sweat, and hardly anything evaporates. One of my favorite things about typical Buffalo summers is that a spell of extreme humidity is typically short, with several high dewpoint periods during the summer interspersed with shots of more dry air from the north. Honestly, one of the most appealing things about summers in Buffalo is that it's so pleasant to spend time outside. Home gardens are far more well-tended, and far more attractive, in Buffalo than in southeastern cities, where people just pay $15 or so every week for a guy with a zero turn to come in and cut every blade of grass to a stub. But this summer in Buffalo has been much more like Gulf weather, and between the low precip and the extreme humidity, gardens around here are looking pretty shabby this summer. I get it - I'm glad I work inside nowadays, but between the relentless dews in the upper 60s or above make it unpleasant to be outside for long, even to work at a hobby like gardening.

3 hours ago, WNash said:

I spent college summers on a drywall crew, and growing up in the southeast, we learned that humid days were the worst. Your body just can't cool down - you sweat and sweat, and hardly anything evaporates. One of my favorite things about typical Buffalo summers is that a spell of extreme humidity is typically short, with several high dewpoint periods during the summer interspersed with shots of more dry air from the north. Honestly, one of the most appealing things about summers in Buffalo is that it's so pleasant to spend time outside. Home gardens are far more well-tended, and far more attractive, in Buffalo than in southeastern cities, where people just pay $15 or so every week for a guy with a zero turn to come in and cut every blade of grass to a stub. But this summer in Buffalo has been much more like Gulf weather, and between the low precip and the extreme humidity, gardens around here are looking pretty shabby this summer. I get it - I'm glad I work inside nowadays, but between the relentless dews in the upper 60s or above make it unpleasant to be outside for long, even to work at a hobby like gardening.

I get it man, working outside in this **** isn't easy.  I'm a fairly involved hobbyist beekeeper.  You can't imagine how hot it gets working hives in a bee suit for a few hours.  Downright dangerous.  

The summers here usually offer a refreshing to warm experience. 2 of the last 3 summer's have been very different imo with less rainfall and more uncomfortable conditions. While the lack of rain makes it easy to plan day trips and the like, the humidity makes that very uncomfortable to keep those plans. 

Yeah this weather is totally brutal. I work a lot indoors and outdoors depending on what my job assignment is for the day. Today was mold remediation in an attic which involves wearing a Tyvek suit, full face respirator, and heavy duty chemical gloves. Actual air temperature inside the attic was 130 degrees, needless to say I likely lost about 3-5 pounds in pure water weight even with taking breaks every 15 minutes. Fall weather can’t come soon enough, heck, even average temperatures with lower humidity (mid to upper 70s) would be a welcome break at this point. 

On 8/27/2018 at 12:09 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Friend of mine just moved near Yellowstone this last week. Today she posted pics of snow on the ground and 34 degrees up in the higher elevations on instagram. Pretty early for snow in that location I would think.

Top analog so far for this upcoming winter is 76-77. Really early but weak/modoki Ninos result are the best winters in our region. Looking forward to the 3 posters that are smack dab in the middle of 3 snowbelts that we haven't had. Redfield, Altmar, and Chautauqua ridge. 

Hey,all! This is "blackrock" posting under my updated profile.

I am now officially living in my New home in Redfield!

Looking forward to sharing with you all from my new climate.

I am already enjoying watching the car thermometer drop about 10 degrees as we make trips from Pulaski or Syracuse to our home up here on the Tug.

• Like 3