• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

Shower moving south to north died as it approached the city, and a new storm popped up in the far northtowns, heading into Niagara County. Despite a pattern for six or seven days that looked like a droughtbuster, we received about 0.25 inch for the entire period, and this week is starting where last week left off.

My yard is just a brown, baked prairie at this point. Our garden is barely hanging on despite diligent watering.

11C7C5C0-62C2-48EE-B238-AC6B039DA7D0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, WNash said:

Shower moving south to north died as it approached the city, and a new storm popped up in the far northtowns, heading into Niagara County. Despite a pattern for six or seven days that looked like a droughtbuster, we received about 0.25 inch for the entire period, and this week is starting where last week left off.

My yard is just a brown, baked prairie at this point. Our garden is barely hanging on despite diligent watering.

11C7C5C0-62C2-48EE-B238-AC6B039DA7D0.jpeg

Yeah feel like its the first time we've had rain down here in months. Been pretty persistent for the last 2 hours. 

22 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I'm telling you it just refuses to rain in the metro this summer. Had some hope on those cells moving north but they fizzled out like everything else has... don't think we've had a single true thunderstorm once so far this summer here. Did catch a nice rainbow though...
693f6f099283d3bf98a56d62f80c62f8.jpg

It happens every June-August. It’s by far our sunniest months. Lake shadow is a very real thing. The persistent breeze is usually sw/s which destroys convection. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It happens every June-August. It’s by far our sunniest months. Lake shadow is a very real thing. The persistent breeze is usually sw/s which destroys convection. 

The lake shadow is real and is most of the reason why July and August precip averages are significantly below May/June and September averages. But we’re way below those monthly averages, which shows that we are unlucky and also in an unfavorable pattern. Last week’s misses were poor luck, as much as rain shadow. That day where everything trained over the lake from south to north wasn’t a lake shadow issue, and neither were the misses at night.

It’s frustrating because we put a lot of work into our garden this year, and I aerated and seeded the lawn last fall. Even daily watering isn’t saving my yard, and our garden is really puny.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WNash said:

The lake shadow is real and is most of the reason why July and August precip averages are significantly below May/June and September averages. But we’re way below those monthly averages, which shows that we are unlucky and also in an unfavorable pattern. Last week’s misses were poor luck, as much as rain shadow. That day where everything trained over the lake from south to north wasn’t a lake shadow issue, and neither were the misses at night.

It’s frustrating because we put a lot of work into our garden this year, and I aerated and seeded the lawn last fall. Even daily watering isn’t saving my yard, and our garden is really puny.

It's been a few years in a row with a pretty bad drought. 2-3 years ago we even touched the extreme drought category if I'm not mistaken. Can you guys use a sprinkler? 

59 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

2016:

20160816_NY_trd.jpg

Yeah, that was really bad, a dry winter and spring and then about half the summer precip in 2018.

We've been using a sprinkler most days but with a baby and both of us working we can't run it as often or for as long as our lawn and garden really need. Our yard has an irregular shape so we would have to move it several times. We're mainly concentrating on the part of the garden with the tomatoes and peppers, and the fruit trees that went in last year. The flowers in our garden are pretty much a lost cause, and the grass is crunchy and yellow. I'm just gonna have to suck it up and aerate and seed the lawn again in the fall. 

2 hours ago, WNash said:

Yeah, that was really bad, a dry winter and spring and then about half the summer precip in 2018.

We've been using a sprinkler most days but with a baby and both of us working we can't run it as often or for as long as our lawn and garden really need. Our yard has an irregular shape so we would have to move it several times. We're mainly concentrating on the part of the garden with the tomatoes and peppers, and the fruit trees that went in last year. The flowers in our garden are pretty much a lost cause, and the grass is crunchy and yellow. I'm just gonna have to suck it up and aerate and seed the lawn again in the fall. 

A couple more weeks and the air will be cooler than the water. Hard to believe it's August already tomorrow.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks wet across Eastern New York. I'll be in Lake Placid, hopefully don't get too much rain need to climb some peaks!

NFUTlCv.gif

That’s funny, we are coming home tomorrow morning after 5 days in Keene Valley.

We lucked out for hiking weather.  No days lost to rain.  

Took our kids up Giant, Porter, Cascade and Indian Head.  We brought passports anticipating heading to Montreal if it rained but it never happened.

The drought is definitely noticeable up here, compared to home in Otsego County where we have had plentiful rainfall.

Lots of dry brown dead grass up here, and the streams are all low.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cny rider said:

That’s funny, we are coming home tomorrow morning after 5 days in Keene Valley.

We lucked out for hiking weather.  No days lost to rain.  

Took our kids up Giant, Porter, Cascade and Indian Head.  We brought passports anticipating heading to Montreal if it rained but it never happened.

The drought is definitely noticeable up here, compared to home in Otsego County where we have had plentiful rainfall.

Lots of dry brown dead grass up here, and the streams are all low.

That's awesome we're planning on also doing a few of the shorter hikes as we're bringing the dog with us. It looks like it's going to be quite hot. We are staying at fish creek so there is some nice places to swim there. 

Here's yet another instance of how the bone dry conditions in the Buffalo metro are the result of bad luck compounding a bad, stagnant pattern and summer lake climatology.

This summer is wearing me out. No rain but too humid and warm most days to enjoy spending time outside. Can't wait to get done with this crappy season.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNash said:

Here's yet another instance of how the bone dry conditions in the Buffalo metro are the result of bad luck compounding a bad, stagnant pattern and summer lake climatology.

This summer is wearing me out. No rain but too humid and warm most days to enjoy spending time outside. Can't wait to get done with this crappy season.

Capture.PNG

It's been an incredible summer so far. I know it's boring on the weather front but I enjoy my hot/humid summers quite a bit. I have been boating, fishing, swimming, beaching, jet ski, pretty much the entire summer. The best part of summer is humid walks at night under the moon, nothing beats that! Cold summers are the absolute worse. The seasons we experience in Upstate are the best IMO, if only summer would last a little longer it would be the perfect spot to live. 

29 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's been an incredible summer so far. I know it's boring on the weather front but I enjoy my hot/humid summers quite a bit. I have been boating, fishing, swimming, beaching, jet ski, pretty much the entire summer. The best part of summer is humid walks at night under the moon, nothing beats that! Cold summers are the absolute worse. The seasons we experience in Upstate are the best IMO, if only summer would last a little longer it would be the perfect spot to live. 

We like to garden, and this has been a terrible gardening season.

Coming from the south, I find hot/humid weather unbearable. I love seasonal weather here. The climo mean of 80/62 with 60 degree dews is perfect, but we averaged quite a bit warmer and more humid than that in July, and the five or six BN temp days were barely under the climo means while the hot days were way above. August is looking much the same through mid-month, and a pattern change after mid-August still isn't showing up. 

Those first crisp days are going to feel great, but I'm feeling skeptical that they'll be here until it's well after Labor Day. This pattern is totally dug in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WNash said:

We like to garden, and this has been a terrible gardening season.

Coming from the south, I find hot/humid weather unbearable. I love seasonal weather here. The climo mean of 80/62 with 60 degree dews is perfect, but we averaged quite a bit warmer and more humid than that in July, and the five or six BN temp days were barely under the climo means while the hot days were way above. August is looking much the same through mid-month, and a pattern change after mid-August still isn't showing up. 

Those first crisp days are going to feel great, but I'm feeling skeptical that they'll be here until it's well after Labor Day. This pattern is totally dug in.

We basically have 3 summer months here, if that. 80+ average highs. I think we have a fairly good blend of seasons. Northern Michigan rarely gets out of the 60s/70s in summer, the same for northern Maine. Those locations also have brutally cold winters with high temps in the teens and average lows below zero. I wouldn't enjoy that.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Some nice slow moving pop up storms near you Nash. Any ground reports? 

No, everything hooked east and weakened, so not a drop until you cross Transit. Really firing off in that confluence in Niagara County, though, so that should help with their drought issues.

2 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

The only thing I gotta say is, I hope this Winter is half as giving as this Summer is, just ridiculous. Obnoxiously Hot and Humid every damn day, WTF?

Better start raining too, damn it!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Absolutely miserable outside. My daughter has respiratory issues and she looked like she was suffocating when we were out earlier. I can’t wait until this pattern breaks. Fall can’t come soon enough.

• Like 3

Lake Erie has an insatiable appetite for convection this year.  It just destroys everything.  The 12z 3km NAM modeled it perfectly.  Explosive convection of Southern Ontario just getting decimated as it entered NY state.  Brutal stuff for those of us who like storms.   Unlike most of you, I am loving this heat and humidity.  It's perfect, we get both intense summers and intense winters, the best of both worlds.  Plus fall is usually long and fantastic.  

• Like 1

A few areas of heavy rain got shredded just as they approached the metro this evening, but finally a shower formed just southwest of Buffalo and didn’t fall apart before it got here. We had a brief downpour with almost a half inch of rain falling in 30 mins or so. That’s the most precip from a storm at my house since the first part of June.