• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

18 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

I don't think KBUF makes it past 92 tomorrow. I'll go 92 for BUF, 98 for IAG, 99 for ROC, and 98 for SYR. Highest heat index tomorrow I'll guess 101 for BUF, 109 for IAG, 110 for ROC, and 107 SYR.

KBUF got up to 91 on the hourly obs. IAG and ROC at 94 seem to be the max for the region. Dews made it up to the low 70s. It was sultry and felt awful to be outside for more than five minutes, but a bit short of the extremes that were suggested in the last few days.

5 hours ago, WNash said:

KBUF got up to 91 on the hourly obs. IAG and ROC at 94 seem to be the max for the region. Dews made it up to the low 70s. It was sultry and felt awful to be outside for more than five minutes, but a bit short of the extremes that were suggested in the last few days.

Buf hit 92. 111 heat index around Rochester, WOW

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=buf&product=PNS&issuedby=BUF&format=ci&version=1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That’s a bonkers HI. I lived in Nashville when they set their all time record for temp, 109F. But even with the 57F dewpoint, the heat index only got to 110F, and it was unbearable even though there was a bit of perceived cooling from evaporation. At the dews we have seen this weekend, you get soaked with sweat within minutes.

The Lake Erie shadow has kept the Niagara frontier over to KROC very dry and boring so far this summer.  It seems more powerful and persistent than usual.  The drought situation on the West side of Monroe county (also Orleans County) is getting pretty bad.  I would do anything for a good 1-2 inch soaker.  Oh well, looks like it will be at least another 4-5 days until our next shot at precip, and from the looks of that frontal passage we'll get shadowed again. 

Loving this heat though, it feels amazing.  

6 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

The Lake Erie shadow has kept the Niagara frontier over to KROC very dry and boring so far this summer.  It seems more powerful and persistent than usual.  The drought situation on the West side of Monroe county (also Orleans County) is getting pretty bad.  I would do anything for a good 1-2 inch soaker.  Oh well, looks like it will be at least another 4-5 days until our next shot at precip, and from the looks of that frontal passage we'll get shadowed again. 

Loving this heat though, it feels amazing.  

I finally gave in and bought a nice portable AC unit. The 84 degree temps while sleeping were too hot for even me. But yeah, totally enjoying this weather. Had one of the best days out on the water ever on Sunday. 90 degrees, full sun, no waves. 

On 7/2/2018 at 2:54 AM, WNash said:

That’s a bonkers HI. I lived in Nashville when they set their all time record for temp, 109F. But even with the 57F dewpoint, the heat index only got to 110F, and it was unbearable even though there was a bit of perceived cooling from evaporation. At the dews we have seen this weekend, you get soaked with sweat within minutes.

113 heat index yesterday in Monroe county.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=buf&product=PNS&issuedby=BUF&format=ci&version=1

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

Weather station in the shade is at 98 degrees with 75 degree dew point making it feel like 111. I can tell you this is the hottest I’ve ever felt in my life anywhere and I’ve been to Florida and the Carolinas in the middle of summer many times. 

Ditto that sentiment. Went swimming in the lake all day to keep cool. Apartment temp is at 89 degrees. My AC unit should come in tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Weather station in the shade is at 98 degrees with 75 degree dew point making it feel like 111. I can tell you this is the hottest I’ve ever felt in my life anywhere

I never was as far south as you but i have been to the DC area in the summer.  In 2006 had 97/69 at the Baltimore Washington Airpoet and I always thought that would be hotter than I would get here in Buffalo...Today i had 94 with a DP near 80 iwhich produces a higher heat index than the 97 I had in Baltimore...

2 hours ago, Joshua929 said:

I never was as far south as you but i have been to the DC area in the summer.  In 2006 had 97/69 at the Baltimore Washington Airpoet and I always thought that would be hotter than I would get here in Buffalo...Today i had 94 with a DP near 80 iwhich produces a higher heat index than the 97 I had in Baltimore...

Today was unlike anything I’ve ever felt before. A 111 HI was truly something I never thought I’d experience in Buffalo. You could literally walk outside for 30 seconds and just stand there and you were dripping sweat. It was unreal to experience and something I will remember forever.

The line of storms associated with the front is collapsing as it approaches Buffalo. Looks good in Niagara County to the north and along the lake shore to the south, but the lake is killing convection in and around the city. Very frustrating, as this was the only good chance of rain for the foreseeable future. Our garden is parched and our lawn is going yellow.

21 hours ago, WNash said:

The line of storms associated with the front is collapsing as it approaches Buffalo. Looks good in Niagara County to the north and along the lake shore to the south, but the lake is killing convection in and around the city. Very frustrating, as this was the only good chance of rain for the foreseeable future. Our garden is parched and our lawn is going yellow.

A little more than one more left where the lake is cooler than the air and then the opposite occurs.

17 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Coldest summer in 100 years in Iceland. 

Some friends have been there the last couple weeks (they left at the beginning of the heat wave and were bragging about it. Apparently it has been cooler than normal but not exactly cold. The real notable feature has been persistent rain - apparently it has been raining every day since early May. Even the locals, who don’t get too worked up about bad weather, are totally sick of it.

https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/climate/2018/june2018/201806_map.png

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I’m here right now. That’s what the natives told us. Its the most beautiful place I’ve ever been. 

That’s awesome! My friends are camping in eastern Iceland now. They say it’s actually sunny and nice there, instead of wet and chilly like in Reykjavik.

4 hours ago, Revracer800 said:

Looks like 90+ again early next week uggg. I'm tired of the hot and humid weather and damn need rain, lawn is getting very crunchy. So ready for fall like weather. 

A little early in the month to tell for sure, but it looks like there is a decent chance this month finishes as a top 5 hottest on record in Buffalo. Maybe even number 1 if we get another good heat wave and no real cooldown. It sucks to work in, but if it is going to be summer, summer weather is what I want, so no real complaints from me. Come September though, and I'm ready for the change. 

2 hours ago, southbuffalowx said:

A little early in the month to tell for sure, but it looks like there is a decent chance this month finishes as a top 5 hottest on record in Buffalo. Maybe even number 1 if we get another good heat wave and no real cooldown. It sucks to work in, but if it is going to be summer, summer weather is what I want, so no real complaints from me. Come September though, and I'm ready for the change. 

Above normal temps are fine but far above normal temps + humidity makes being outdoors unbearable. The payoff for long, cold winters here are those beautiful summers, when you can spend half your day outside. This week has been ok (though today’s elevated ozone kept us indoors because my daughter has respiratory issues). But I’d just as soon not ever repeat last week.

And this drought is murder on our lawn and our vegetable garden. I’m perfectly content with WNY weather without significant temp or precipitation extremes.