Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
summer banter thread

forkyfork

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Pretty cool to watch the sand dredging videos from Long Beach. They are starting out in the West End.

https://patch.com/new-york/longbeach/dredging-officially-underway-long-beach-shore

Yeah, those operations are always interesting. I’ve seen them in person in Jersey and OBX. Did they do this at Jones Beach in the 80’s?  I may have seen it there too but not sure on that one. 

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, those operations are always interesting. I’ve seen them in person in Jersey and OBX. Did they do this at Jones Beach in the 80’s?  I may have seen it there too but not sure on that one. 

They did a few spots along the LI South Shore over the years. But nothing as extensive as this current project. The new jetties already give the beach a different look. I may not recognize the place once the new dunes and walkovers are in place. As it is, parts of Long Beach look much different due to many of the sycamores which were cut down after Sandy. 

30 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Pretty cool watching the sand dredging videos from Long Beach. They are starting out in the West End.

https://patch.com/new-york/longbeach/dredging-officially-underway-long-beach-shore

I don't know if most people realize how much bigger the beaches will be when this is all done.. the shore will extend all the way to the end of the jetties.  Hopefully the noise variance gets approved so they can finish faster. 

42 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

I don't know if most people realize how much bigger the beaches will be when this is all done.. the shore will extend all the way to the end of the jetties.  Hopefully the noise variance gets approved so they can finish faster. 

Hard to believe that some residents still can't agree on letting the Army Corps do their stretch of beach.

Army Corps not allowed to work at private condo

http://liherald.com/wantagh/stories/concerns-over-beach-project-in-lido,105089

42 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I am hoping the condo owners of the Lido Towers come around and allow them to build dunes on their beach. It would be silly to leave an opening there for surges to get through.

Army Corps not allowed to work at private condo

http://liherald.com/wantagh/stories/concerns-over-beach-project-in-lido,105089

They have a short memory.. From that article "During Sandy, floodwater inundated the lower level of Lido Towers, causing $16 million to $17 million in damage."  

Sounds like the town of Hempstead needs to get approval from every single owner in order to get an easement to allow the dredge pipe to come onto the beach or it would open the town up to lawsuits.  I wonder if the people who won't allow a dredge pipe on 'their' beach for a week or two had any issue taking FEMA money after Sandy. 

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

It's a nightmare for surfers, swimmers and life Gaurds. I was part of surf rider in 2006 when we successfully blocked the project. All we had to do was mention the blocking of the view for, the boardwalk and the whole city was on our side.

wave wise, extending the beach out to deep water will cause waves to break directly onto the sand (shore break). Instead of breaking further out in long surfable waves. When the waves break further out this disipates the wave energy so that when they reach the swimming area they are much smaller and weaker and thus safer for swimmers. 

5 hours ago, tdp146 said:

They have a short memory.. From that article "During Sandy, floodwater inundated the lower level of Lido Towers, causing $16 million to $17 million in damage."  

Sounds like the town of Hempstead needs to get approval from every single owner in order to get an easement to allow the dredge pipe to come onto the beach or it would open the town up to lawsuits.  I wonder if the people who won't allow a dredge pipe on 'their' beach for a week or two had any issue taking FEMA money after Sandy. 

Some people actually shot a video from Maple Blvd right next to the Lido Towers during Sandy. You can see how fast the current was moving without much of a dune to slow things down. The President Streets neighborhood just to the west was about a foot higher which helped save a number of houses from flooding inside. 

The 2010's just keep producing one new extreme after the other.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/17/extraordinary-record-rainfall-drenches-reagan-national-airport-2-63-inches-in-42-minutes/?utm_term=.f7a62d249b62

There had been no measurable rain at Reagan National Airport, Washington’s official weather site, in 19 days, including none in the first 16 days of July, a record. Then, in 42 minutes, the heavens unloaded 2.63 inches as intense thunderstorms barreled through the region.

“I’ve been here 40 years,” said airport observer Nicholas Parrell. “I’ve never had that.”

In all, 2.79 inches fell in just over an hour, setting a record for July 17 and besting the 2.05 inches from 1945. It was the airport’s biggest single-day rainfall in almost a year (since July 28, 2017) and the second-most for a July day since 1975.

“That certainly is a very heavy amount for a short period of time,” said Chris Strong, warning coordination meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Sterling, Va., in an email.

In the afternoon, 0.95 inches of rain fell in just nine minutes and 1.22 inches fell in 15 minutes. Such rainfall intensities are expected only once every 10 to 50 years on average.

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

The 2010's just keep producing one new extreme after the other.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/17/extraordinary-record-rainfall-drenches-reagan-national-airport-2-63-inches-in-42-minutes/?utm_term=.f7a62d249b62

There had been no measurable rain at Reagan National Airport, Washington’s official weather site, in 19 days, including none in the first 16 days of July, a record. Then, in 42 minutes, the heavens unloaded 2.63 inches as intense thunderstorms barreled through the region.

“I’ve been here 40 years,” said airport observer Nicholas Parrell. “I’ve never had that.”

In all, 2.79 inches fell in just over an hour, setting a record for July 17 and besting the 2.05 inches from 1945. It was the airport’s biggest single-day rainfall in almost a year (since July 28, 2017) and the second-most for a July day since 1975.

“That certainly is a very heavy amount for a short period of time,” said Chris Strong, warning coordination meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Sterling, Va., in an email.

In the afternoon, 0.95 inches of rain fell in just nine minutes and 1.22 inches fell in 15 minutes. Such rainfall intensities are expected only once every 10 to 50 years on average.

the worst way to erase a rainfall deficit. most of that probably ran off

• Like 1

Two people were bitten by a shark while swimming in the water off Fire Island in Suffolk County, New York, Wednesday morning, according to NBC New York.

Both incidents reportedly happened shortly before 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. The separate incidents occurred at Sailors Haven and Atlantique Beach, which are about 4 miles apart.

The victim of the Atlantique Beach attack is reportedly a 13-year-old boy who suffered non-life-threatening injuries. A young girl, who's age is not immediately known, was bitten at Sailors Haven but was able to able to walk out of the ocean after lifeguards came to her aid.

Officials from the city of Islip have reportedly banned swimming at all of its ocean-facing beaches.

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

Two people were bitten by a shark while swimming in the water off Fire Island in Suffolk County, New York, Wednesday morning, according to NBC New York.

Both incidents reportedly happened shortly before 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. The separate incidents occurred at Sailors Haven and Atlantique Beach, which are about 4 miles apart.

The victim of the Atlantique Beach attack is reportedly a 13-year-old boy who suffered non-life-threatening injuries. A young girl, who's age is not immediately known, was bitten at Sailors Haven but was able to able to walk out of the ocean after lifeguards came to her aid.

Officials from the city of Islip have reportedly banned swimming at all of its ocean-facing beaches.

I'm not buying either incident until I see proof. There hasn't been a confirmed shark attack in NY waters since the 1700s. We often see large schools of blue fish come close to shore in feeding frenzys this time of year. A life guard at Robert Moses was bitten a few summers ago while going for a long swim. It was initially reported as a shark attack but disproven

23 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I'm not buying either incident until I see proof. There hasn't been a confirmed shark attack in NY waters since the 1700s. We often see large schools of blue fish come close to shore in feeding frenzys this time of year. A life guard at Robert Moses was bitten a few summers ago while going for a long swim. It was initially reported as a shark attack but disproven

Apparently they removed a tooth

16 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Still doesn't mean it's a shark, but if it was I would think it's a sand tiger. They usually do not attack humans but a large one was caught Tagged and released east of jones beach field six last week

yea, lots of sand sharks even in the sound. Hardly a "shark attack"

RWTT for the next 90 days has the Northeast as the most AN, in an already, entirely AN lower 48.  Precip. is Normal for the lower48, except the southeast and eastern Gulf.

Nationwide heatwave for Labor Day period.

The bays along the South Shore need to be included in some version of this.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/army-corps-proposes-giant-hurricane-barrier-across-new-york-bay/

More than five years after Sandy, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is taking a closer look at one of the ideas that caught the public's imagination right after the storm hit: a giant steel-and-concrete barrier that would stretch across New York Harbor and prevent an ocean surge from flooding waterfront areas again.

Such barriers gained prominence in the Netherlands, where a series of structures called the Delta Works protects the southwestern part of the country. But they're also in use in London; St. Petersburg, Russia; Providence, R.I.; and Stamford, Conn. The gates are kept open most of the time to permit ships to pass and water to circulate, but they swing closed when a hurricane approaches. (The gates in Stamford swing upward off the sea floor.)

50 minutes ago, bluewave said:

https://www.wnyc.org/story/army-corps-proposes-giant-hurricane-barrier-across-new-york-bay/

More than five years after Sandy, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is taking a closer look at one of the ideas that caught the public's imagination right after the storm hit: a giant steel-and-concrete barrier that would stretch across New York Harbor and prevent an ocean surge from flooding waterfront areas again.

Such barriers gained prominence in the Netherlands, where a series of structures called the Delta Works protects the southwestern part of the country. But they're also in use in London; St. Petersburg, Russia; Providence, R.I.; and Stamford, Conn. The gates are kept open most of the time to permit ships to pass and water to circulate, but they swing closed when a hurricane approaches. (The gates in Stamford swing upward off the sea floor.)

that would cause so much environmental damage

40 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Since water seeks it's own level, blocking it at one point will just cause it to rise up somewhere else.  When those so affected find out, they will demand an artificial barrier too.  Therefore you will never come to any final conclusion.

This is similar to building new roads, tunnels and bridges-----the more that are built, the more you need.  As Robert Moses found out.

No, the low lying areas that are vulnerable, will just be abandoned---when replacement costs get too high and new building codes too onerous.

36 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Since water seeks it's own level, blocking it at one point will just cause it to rise up somewhere else.  When those so affected find out, they will demand an artificial barrier too.  Therefore you will never come to any final conclusion.

This is similar to building new roads, tunnels and bridges-----the more that are built, the more you need.  As Robert Moses found out.

No, the low lying areas that are vulnerable, will just be abandoned---when replacement costs get too high and new building codes too onerous.

There is definitely truth to this. Anyone east of the barrier is basically screwed as any potential surge is redirected around the barrier. 

The good news is, it’s so impractical based on the size of NY harbor and it’s many points of entry and exit it will never happen. We aren’t talking about a single river Like Providence 

13 hours ago, CIK62 said:

The proposed system will have  gates from Sandy Hook to Breezy point and near the Throgs Neck bridge. So it will prevent a surge from the LI Sound and Atlantic. You know systems like this will become a reality in the future  with rising sea levels. Remember, they were talking about protective dune systems for LB since the 1980's and 1990's. It finally took Sandy to get the ball rolling on the project. So my guess is that systems like this will start to get built sometime between 2025 and 2050. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Harbor_Storm-Surge_Barrier