Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
summer banter thread

forkyfork

2 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Been doing a lot of swimming this summer, going to miss it. Totally on the same page with darkness. 

Me too.  Pool is nice and cool now.  Definitely going to miss Summer, I like being outside whenever possible, and that's hard to do when it's cold and dark.

• Like 3

Hard to believe that it has been 20 years.

An intense line of severe thunderstorms oriented from north to south developed during Labor Day afternoon ahead of a strong approaching cold front. As the storms moved east at 40 to 50 mph, they produced high winds, large hail, and an isolated tornado. Wind gusts from 60 to 80 mph downed many trees and power lines throughout the area. The cost estimates of damage included above are preliminary figures submitted by the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management.

In Richmond County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 80 mph at Great Kills, the Verranzano Bridge, and in Richmond. High winds downed trees and caused a building to collapse in Richmond. One tree fell on and injured a man in Richmond.

In New York County (Manhattan), high winds caused a building to collapse.

In the Bronx, high winds downed a tree that fell on 3 people resulting in 1 death and 2 injuries in the courtyard of the Edenwald Houses at 1135 East 229th Street.

In Kings County (Brooklyn), high winds downed and uprooted several large trees. One tree fell on and injured a person at East 229th Street. Five to 6-foot diameter trees were uprooted east of Coney Island in the Gerritsen Beach Section, where 3 funnel clouds were also sighted and a firefighter was injured from large hail. Large trees also fell on and damaged cars in Bensonhurst.

In Queens County, a peak wind gust of 62 mph was measured at both LaGuardia Airport and at JFK Airport.

In Nassau County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 75 mph in Farmingdale, 60 mph in Port Washington and Mineola and 58 mph at Farmingdale Republic Airport. High winds downed large tree limbs at Rockville Center, Baldwin, and Oceanside and downed trees in Long Beach, Massapequa, and Valley Stream. One-inch diameter hail dented cars and covered the ground in Farmingdale.

In Suffolk County, high winds overturned many boats in the Great South Bay, downed large trees in West Babylon and Rocky Point and downed large tree limbs in Wading River. One person died when a thunderstorm wind gust capsized a 19 foot sail boat in Great South Bay near Copiague. A Centerport woman, 36, and her daughter, 3, were injured when a tree fell on them in the parking lot of the Ground Round Restaurant and CVS on Fort Salonga Road. The following peak wind gusts were reported: 72 mph in Babylon and 65 mph in Fire Island.
Event Narrative The NWS confirmed that an F2 tornado was responsible for significant damage that occurred in Lynbrook. Most of the village received damage from straight line winds up to 80 mph, that was associated with a severe squall line. Downed trees covered the village with some structural damage where the F2 tornado touched down.

The major path of damage was from the northwest section of Lynbrook east-southeast to the southeast section of the village. Funnel clouds were observed from near the intersection of Marshall Ave. and Burtis Street and to the southeast. A tornado was first sighted by two eyewitnesses on Hampton Place. It rose and touched down several times: Second, near Winter Street and across Glover Circle; Third, along Peninsula Blvd. between Earle and Benton Avenues; and Fourth, as a weak F2 near the intersection of Rocklyn Ave. and Merrick Road. It moved across the Long Island Railroad Tracks and Sunrise Highway before it finally dissipated.

More than three hundred trees were blown over, many on houses and cars. Six people received minor injuries. Four of these were in "The Fun Zone" on Rocklyn Avenue. One woman was slightly injured by a tree that fell on her car. One police officer was also injured.

Event Map:

23 minutes ago, bluewave said:

An intense line of severe thunderstorms oriented from north to south developed during Labor Day afternoon ahead of a strong approaching cold front. As the storms moved east at 40 to 50 mph, they produced high winds, large hail, and an isolated tornado. Wind gusts from 60 to 80 mph downed many trees and power lines throughout the area. The cost estimates of damage included above are preliminary figures submitted by the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management.

In Richmond County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 80 mph at Great Kills, the Verranzano Bridge, and in Richmond. High winds downed trees and caused a building to collapse in Richmond. One tree fell on and injured a man in Richmond.

In the Bronx, high winds downed a tree that fell on 3 people resulting in 1 death and 2 injuries in the courtyard of the Edenwald Houses at 1135 East 229th Street.

In Kings County (Brooklyn), high winds downed and uprooted several large trees. One tree fell on and injured a person at East 229th Street. Five to 6-foot diameter trees were uprooted east of Coney Island in the Gerritsen Beach Section, where 3 funnel clouds were also sighted and a firefighter was injured from large hail. Large trees also fell on and damaged cars in Bensonhurst.

In Queens County, a peak wind gust of 62 mph was measured at both LaGuardia Airport and at JFK Airport.

In Nassau County, the following peak wind gusts were reported: 75 mph in Farmingdale, 60 mph in Port Washington and Mineola and 58 mph at Farmingdale Republic Airport. High winds downed large tree limbs at Rockville Center, Baldwin, and Oceanside and downed trees in Long Beach, Massapequa, and Valley Stream. One-inch diameter hail dented cars and covered the ground in Farmingdale.

In Suffolk County, high winds overturned many boats in the Great South Bay, downed large trees in West Babylon and Rocky Point and downed large tree limbs in Wading River. One person died when a thunderstorm wind gust capsized a 19 foot sail boat in Great South Bay near Copiague. A Centerport woman, 36, and her daughter, 3, were injured when a tree fell on them in the parking lot of the Ground Round Restaurant and CVS on Fort Salonga Road. The following peak wind gusts were reported: 72 mph in Babylon and 65 mph in Fire Island.
Event Narrative The NWS confirmed that an F2 tornado was responsible for significant damage that occurred in Lynbrook. Most of the village received damage from straight line winds up to 80 mph, that was associated with a severe squall line. Downed trees covered the village with some structural damage where the F2 tornado touched down.

The major path of damage was from the northwest section of Lynbrook east-southeast to the southeast section of the village. Funnel clouds were observed from near the intersection of Marshall Ave. and Burtis Street and to the southeast. A tornado was first sighted by two eyewitnesses on Hampton Place. It rose and touched down several times: Second, near Winter Street and across Glover Circle; Third, along Peninsula Blvd. between Earle and Benton Avenues; and Fourth, as a weak F2 near the intersection of Rocklyn Ave. and Merrick Road. It moved across the Long Island Railroad Tracks and Sunrise Highway before it finally dissipated.

More than three hundred trees were blown over, many on houses and cars. Six people received minor injuries. Four of these were in "The Fun Zone" on Rocklyn Avenue. One woman was slightly injured by a tree that fell on her car. One police officer was also injured.

Event Map:

The event that got me into weather! We had 70 mph sustained winds in Allentown that took down half the trees in the park next to my house, and our front door blew open despite the fact that it faces north rather than west. I'll never forget how pitch black it was at 1:00 in the afternoon.

3 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

The event that got me into weather! We had 70 mph sustained winds in Allentown that took down half the trees in the park next to my house, and our front door blew open despite the fact that it faces north rather than west. I'll never forget how pitch black it was at 1:00 in the afternoon.

Still stands as the most intense derecho to sweep across Long Island. I would rank it as the #1 severe thunderstorm event out here. It was the only time that I experienced severe wind and hail with a nearby tornado. Never saw it get as dark so fast between 2 and 3 in the afternoon before.

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Event Map:

I remember the pounding sound of the hail hitting the metal porch roof in the rear of our row house in Sout Brooklyn. My late wife calling in a panic because people were running into stores on Court St. to avoid the hail. It briefly whitened the ground in our area. I went out back and picked up some of the pieces. They ranged up to large marble sized. I have never seen it’s like before or after. I wonder what Unc remembers about the event?

4 hours ago, dmillz25 said:

Yeah I vaguely remember it too

Same here, I was 13 at the time and on a train coming home from the city with my dad. I was in Lynbrook when the storm hit unfortunately I was stuck in a train so I couldn't really tell what was going except for the damage I saw when I got off the train.

I do remember the sky being pitch black and a lot of lightning.

7 hours ago, Cfa said:

Wish I was old enough to have experienced that. I’ve never experienced thunderstorms at severe-level, I’ve never even seen hail before.

Southwestern Nassau county hasn't seen a true severe thunderstorm since then (at least I don't recall seeing one and I've been tracking every thunderstorm since 2000 on.) There has been strong thunderstorms over the years with with tiny hail but not true severe.

my son was playing little league baseball for Mid Island and the day after the league picnic the storm hit the field...all the light polls were toppled or broke in half and scattered around the field where the people were...good thing it was the day before...It sounded like a freight train to me...I was a half mile ne of the fields when it hit...

21 hours ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

How old are you 5?

+20

21 hours ago, dmillz25 said:

Yeah I vaguely remember it too

I wish I had the slightest memory of it, my earliest wx memory came a few months later in the Jan 1999 ice storm in DC/MD.

16 hours ago, LIWeatherGuy29 said:

Southwestern Nassau county hasn't seen a true severe thunderstorm since then (at least I don't recall seeing one and I've been tracking every thunderstorm since 2000 on.) There has been strong thunderstorms over the years with with tiny hail but not true severe.

I believe you, I grew up not too far away in Jamaica and I’ve never seen a thunderstorm produce any damage, aside from the September 2010 event which I didn’t actually experience as it occured miles to the north of me.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:34 AM, Cfa said:

+20

I wish I had the slightest memory of it, my earliest wx memory came a few months later in the Jan 1999 ice storm in DC/MD.

I believe you, I grew up not too far away in Jamaica and I’ve never seen a thunderstorm produce any damage, aside from the September 2010 event which I didn’t actually experience as it occured miles to the north of me.

Earliest wx memory for me was the blizzard of 96. I was 5 at the time and I was practically swimming in snow lol

On 8/26/2018 at 11:34 AM, Cfa said:

+20

Usually the severe thunderstorms would hit north of me at places like Garden City or Westbury.

The 98 derecho was def one of my favorite weather events. I was life guarding at Eisenhower pool in east meadow. I was on break as the storm moved in and it went from day light to dark as night. The winds coming across the park were incredible. I actually saw multiple trees fall. Several Fiberglass garbage cans became airborne and hit the aquatics center and exploded. The entire dome was shaking and the hanging lighting fixtures swayed. 

I remember the wind lasted for a long time. Much longer then with a traditional thunderstorm gust front. I also remember seeing swirling dust coming up from the baseball fields. Epic event

11 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Sept. 15th. period still offering best chance for TS effects on EC and here via the CFS.

Also second week of Oct. for the first real Fall-like weather outbreak.

Not sure if the following situates any relevancy to your on-going monitor but the usual candidate operational models are flagging a robust CV development in just two or three days ...

The Euro actually induces Katrina track redux (not the system per se) as an entirely separate deal.

Might get a flurry of activity ...  The 200 mb velocity tendencies appear to reversing which may be a period of less suppression overall - nice to time that on top of the SST acme