Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
summer banter thread

forkyfork

12 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Just imagine if you enjoyed warm & summery AND cold & snowy.  You would have something to look forward to all the time in the New York climate instead of doing drive-by posts proclaiming how 'disgusting' it is. 

There are few weather fans here, but a lot of snow fans.  Personally I enjoy all of the changes in our weather, I'd get bored if it was always one way or the other.

• Like 4

CFS shows rains originating in the GOM near the 20th. along the EC.   Then a weak system moving across Atlantic but missing EC completely near the end of August.

Just some events to ponder in what could be a boring hurricane season by number/intensity when viewed by what is now expected.

5 hours ago, tdp146 said:

Just imagine if you enjoyed warm & summery AND cold & snowy.  You would have something to look forward to all the time in the New York climate instead of doing drive-by posts proclaiming how 'disgusting' it is. 

I do but I think I'm almost at that stage of my life where I could appreciate an extended period of somewhat more boring weather.

As I was thoroughly enjoying a nice cold beer in the Greenville section of Jersey City; sketchy guy appears. Proceeds to try to open the door to a car he does not own, sees that its locked and decides to drain his pool..needless to say....hes walking to wherever he came from with wet pants.

Gotta love Jersey City

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2018 at 4:40 PM, bluewave said:

Strongest July WAR on record with the 500 mb height anomaly beating out 2013. Record heat in New England, humidity here, and rainfall just to our SW and W. 

IMG_0216.GIF.8975a4637b390b56e6eab2268097c117.GIF

IMG_0217.GIF

negative amo's are not what they used to be

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

negative amo's are not what they used to be

This is a new pattern for us.

Emerging negative Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation index in spite of warm subtropics

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-11046-x

Sea surface temperatures in the northern North Atlantic have shown a marked decrease over the past several years. The sea surface in the subpolar gyre is now as cold as it was during the last cold phase of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation index in the 1990s. This climate index is associated with shifts in hurricane activity, rainfall patterns and intensity, and changes in fish populations. However, unlike the last cold period in the Atlantic, the spatial pattern of sea surface temperature anomalies in the Atlantic is not uniformly cool, but instead has anomalously cold temperatures in the subpolar gyre, warm temperatures in the subtropics and cool anomalies over the tropics. The tripole pattern of anomalies has increased the subpolar to subtropical meridional gradient in SSTs, which are not represented by the AMO index value, but which may lead to increased atmospheric baroclinicity and storminess. Here we show that the recent Atlantic cooling is likely to persist, as predicted by a statistical forecast of subsurface ocean temperatures and consistent with the irreversible nature of watermass changes involved in the recent cooling of the subpolar gyre.

• Like 1

Anyone interested in helping with snow forecasts for both New York state and New England areas for the winter this year?  We will do daily updates, weather forecasts and observations daily for the weather avid follower.  Given a big winter for snowfall across our region, we could use good forecasters and a great web designer.  Anyone interested the first three people who say yes, will be the ones to work with me.