• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
summer banter thread

forkyfork

I have been visiting Scotland for the last week with my wife. Beautiful here. The UK has been having a ridiculous hot and dry summer. The hills have started now to brown out even in a lot of the highlands which is like unheard of.  If anyone watched the British open last weekend you saw it at Carnoustie. Today I’m in Edinburgh and basically feels like a warm muggy night back home. watching  big thunderstorm and light show pass off just to my east. These places aren’t used to this kind of weather. Not a single place I’ve been at has AC. But I of course like the heat so it’s been great for us as tourists. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

I have been visiting Scotland for the last week with my wife. Beautiful here. The UK has been having a ridiculous hot and dry summer. The hills have started now to brown out even in a lot of the highlands which is like unheard of.  If anyone watched the British open last weekend you saw it at Carnoustie. Today I’m in Edinburgh and basically feels like a warm muggy night back home. watching  big thunderstorm and light show pass off just to my east. These places aren’t used to this kind of weather. Not a single place I’ve been at has AC. But I of course like the heat so it’s been great for us as tourists. 

That would be my luck. Go to the UK and end up warm and muggy instead of cool and misty

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 9:48 PM, SRRTA22 said:

Best day of the week. No severe but the persistence in tsm development really made it one of the best storm events Ive experienced in the last 10 years.

Sometimes being fringed is better then being hit. Storm structures were amazing today.

Missed out on all but a brief shower here but I could see the cumulus towers from all the way up by Dutchess and Putnam Counties. 

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

I saw my first one during the spring migration at the Jones Beach West End. Brown Pelicans are becoming more common along the South Shore.

http://fireislandandbeyond.com/brown-pelican-on-the-great-south-bay-7-18-17/

That’s awesome. Despite 20 years life guarding at Jones beach I have yet to see one.

A buddy of mine got some video of a big buck with a huge rack of antlers swimming in large shore break at RM4 last week. And I had that shark sitting. Good time for wild life sittings on the island!

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s awesome. Despite 20 years life guarding at Jones beach I have yet to see one.

A buddy of mine got some video of a big buck with a huge rack of antlers swimming in large shore break at RM4 last week. And I had that shark sitting. Good time for wild life sittings on the island!

The Jones Beach West End is one of the best spots on Long Island to see interesting bird species. Brown Pelicans have been spotted in the last few days there. Just click on the details to see the photos.

https://ebird.org/alert/summary?sid=SN35648&sortBy=obsDt&o=desc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The Jones Beach West End is one of the best spots on Long Island to see interesting bird species. Brown Pelicans have been spotted in the last few days there. Just click on the details to see the photos.

https://ebird.org/alert/summary?sid=SN35648&sortBy=obsDt&o=desc

My favorite bird to photograph are snowy owls. I've seen them in liberty state park, Staten Island and all the south shore long Island beaches this year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluewave said:

I saw my first one during the spring migration at the Jones Beach West End. Brown Pelicans are becoming more common along the South Shore.

Saw a couple about 15yrs ago just outside jones inlet and looked like some more this year at the west end of the boardwalk just off shore,but they were a little  too far to be definite. 

14 hours ago, seanick said:

My favorite bird to photograph are snowy owls. I've seen them in liberty state park, Staten Island and all the south shore long Island beaches this year. 

Yeah, I have seen numerous snowy owls at the Jones Beach West End. It's the most reliable place to see them on Long Island.

22 hours ago, bluewave said:

the ny metro is in the middle of the coastal flyway which helps a lot. sandy hook is a birder's paradise

4 hours ago, forkyfork said:

the ny metro is in the middle of the coastal flyway which helps a lot. sandy hook is a birder's paradise

Migration fallouts along the flyway can be pretty wild. I have seen a number of them on the South Shore barrier islands. 

http://www.thenaturalistsnotebook.com/our-blog/migrating-bird-fallout-on-machias-seal-island

18 hours ago, forkyfork said:

bugs in the tree most likely

Makes sense, thank you. Judging the size of the pods, probably a much larger critter. The most avian color I see in my corner of the inner city comes from a cardinal or a jay. I believe I may have caught sight of one of the (seems to have adapted) escaped small parrots.

In Bar Harbor this week and noticed Caribou art an all time warmest month record in July by a decent margin:

July 2018 was the all-time warmest month at Caribou, maine. The average temperature of 70.9 degrees was 5.3 degrees above average (1981-2010 averages). Prior to this July, the warmest month at Caribou was July 1970 with an average temperature of 69.6 degrees. Weather records have been kept at Caribou since 1939. All of the top 10 warmest months at Caribou have occurred during the month of July.

Here are the 5 all-time warmest months at Caribou:

July 2018: 70.9 degrees (F)

July 1970: 69.6F

July 1952: 69.5

July 1959: 69.4

July 2010: 69.3

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, psv88 said:

South Korea and North Korea set all time record high temps this week, and Spain and Portugal are forecast to do the same over the next few days. Northern Hemisphere has again been spared the worst of the record setting heat

Hey now, just because you disagree with a foreign state's political regime doesn't mean you can banish them from the entire hemisphere

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, psv88 said:

South Korea and North Korea set all time record high temps this week, and Spain and Portugal are forecast to do the same over the next few days. Northern Hemisphere has again been spared the worst of the record setting heat

Brutal stuff although the western US has had their share of record heat, I believe Reno set an all-time monthly high for July.