Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
summer banter thread

forkyfork

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, Stormlover74 said:

You can't unless you move to caribou. It easy to escape snow and cold

Try northern CA coast. Eureka for example.

23 hours ago, dave0176 said:

Hello all, been lurking this forum since 2009, don’t know much about weather except what I  learned from you guys. The only thing I’m good for is IMBY updates. I love winter and snow, but I also love summer and extreme heat. The forum has been great to me because of my business. I own DL Mechanical LLC Heating and Cooling. Currently live in Port Reading NJ but am moving at the end of August to Brick NJ. 

Right now Brick is clear and sunny and 86 degrees 

Welcome.  Post more-IMBY updates are good during extreme weather-heatwaves, snowstorms, heavy rain-always good to see what other areas are getting.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The big dune construction project is finally getting started in Long Beach. It will be interesting to see how the new beach looks with a continuous dune in front of the boardwalk. 

http://www.nan.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Projects-in-New-York/Jones-Inlet-to-East-Rockaway-Inlet-Long-Beach/

Have have been telling friends about this and they seem to be in denial. Anything that decreases the size of usable beach or disrupts the  view from the boardwalk are a big taboo 

52 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Have have been telling friends about this and they seem to be in denial. Anything that decreases the size of usable beach or disrupts the  view from the boardwalk are a big taboo 

League Volleyball got canceled tonight 

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That was one of the reasons that the beach rebuilding project never got going back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Even the dunes in the West End were too small to survive Sandy. They got flattened during the evening high tide. But the larger Lido dunes held and the houses immediately behind them avoided any major flooding. 

9 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

maybe we shouldn't build on barrier islands?

It's too late for that now. But portions of the Long Beach barrier island that were build high enough didn't experience flooding in Sandy. The Long Beach barrier island was actually a collection of several smaller islands. It took a major dredging operation over 100 years ago to build a single island with fill. But the elevation was still left too low in many areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

when it inevitably gets wrecked by the next major storm don't allow people to rebuild

Several of the houses flooded out in Sandy were rebuild and elevated on stilts. But the program was underfunded and many people couldn't afford to do it. Properly funding that project would have been more cost effective.Houses that didn't get raised will still have to collect on flood insurance again in a future flood.

http://liherald.com/stories/long-beach-to-expedite-ny-rising-payouts,89787

17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It's too late for that now. But portions of the Long Beach barrier island that were build high enough didn't experience flooding in Sandy. The Long Beach barrier island was actually a collection of several smaller islands. It took a major dredging operation over 100 years ago to build a single island with fill. But the elevation was still left too low in many areas.

Thats why Reynolds channel is so deep in spots and parts of merrick and bellmore

1 hour ago, Dan76 said:

Thats why Reynolds channel is so deep in spots and parts of merrick and bellmore

Yeah, the bay side of the barrier island is generally lower than the ocean facing side. The high parts  of Atlantic Beach only had some water in the streets and halfway up the front lawns. A few blocks away in the LB West End there was 5 feet +of water in the lowest spots.The LB Presidents Streets neighborhood had numerous houses that didn't get any flooding inside. Lido Dunes did pretty well along with the Pt. Lookout beach side. 

Hey guys, just trying to get your ideas of what the week of 7/15 will be like. Wife and kids and I  are heading to Wildwood as usual, only two weeks earlier this year. Last year we went the last week of July and it was mostly cloudy with 3 days featuring rain and a few days didn’t leave the 60s, was down right frigid on the beach. Needless to say it was a terrible vacation beach wise and everyone is looking forward to this year. So what are your predictions, what can we expect this year?? Of course I want 95 clear and sunny everyday!!! Lol

21 hours ago, bluewave said:

That was one of the reasons that the beach rebuilding project never got going back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Even the dunes in the West End were too small to survive Sandy. They got flattened during the evening high tide. But the larger Lido dunes held and the houses immediately behind them avoided any major flooding. 

Artificial dunes have a lower resistance to erosion than naturally created ones because of the lack of annual root systems taking root (no pun intended) and the higher permeability compared to natural dunes.

If people just left the natural dunes alone coastal communities would be far safer. Too bad they takes decades to form, which means realistically they're never coming back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dave0176 said:

Hey guys, just trying to get your ideas of what the week of 7/15 will be like. Wife and kids and I  are heading to Wildwood as usual, only two weeks earlier this year. Last year we went the last week of July and it was mostly cloudy with 3 days featuring rain and a few days didn’t leave the 60s, was down right frigid on the beach. Needless to say it was a terrible vacation beach wise and everyone is looking forward to this year. So what are your predictions, what can we expect this year?? Of course I want 95 clear and sunny everyday!!! Lol

I wouldn't worry too much about a repeat of last year

11 hours ago, dave0176 said:

Same exact time we went last year, probably saw you lol.  The weather was pretty bad, except for the night we got down there and the day we were leaving.

This time around we're still sticking with the last week of July, as that's our typical time.  As for predictions, it's a little far out to accurately forecast the weather.  But, like Stormlover said, I'd expect conditions to be a lot better.  IMO that was a fluke last year, because most times we've gone down have been great.

6 hours ago, Sundog said:

Artificial dunes have a lower resistance to erosion than naturally created ones because of the lack of annual root systems taking root (no pun intended) and the higher permeability compared to natural dunes.

If people just left the natural dunes alone coastal communities would be far safer. Too bad they takes decades to form, which means realistically they're never coming back. 

May favorite natural dune system on Long Island is at the Jones Beach West End. It's one of the places in the region where you regularly see snowy owls during the cold season.