• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Thunderstorm has popped up somewhere.  Just heard some within the minute of post time (wasn't sure if it was early fireworks...lol) and it has been pretty consistent the past 5 minutes.  Cumulus has been building since mid-morning and stratus has been coming up from the south.  This has dropped the temps down from a high of 95 earlier, to 91 currently.

Edit to add - can't seem to get anyone's nexrad working with data since ~2:15 pm (including WU).

Dover nexrad -

07032018-nexrad-dover.gif

This really isolated thunderstorm is just east of me by a few miles.  From TPHL radar (not able to get data out of DIX) -

radar-07032018-tphl.png

EDIT - Thank you Mt. Holly.  Getting the EAS alert.  That is about 4 - 5 miles east of me in the Oak Lane area.  It has been blowing up out of nowhere.  KYW traffic report indicating heavy rain over there.  Am not hearing as much continuous thunder as I was earlier but it looks like it could be creeping westward.

Flash Flood Warning
PAC091-101-032315-
/O.NEW.KPHI.FF.W.0018.180703T1911Z-180703T2315Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
311 PM EDT TUE JUL 3 2018

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Eastern Montgomery County in southeastern Pennsylvania...
  Central Philadelphia County in southeastern Pennsylvania...

* Until 715 PM EDT.

* At 310 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
  heavy rain across the warned area. Flash flooding is expected to
  begin shortly in the areas of heaviest rain.

* Some locations that could experience flooding include...
  Philadelphia.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around...don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

A Flash Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or occurring.
If you are in the warned area move to higher ground immediately.
Residents living along streams and creeks should take immediate
precautions to protect life and property.

&&

LAT...LON 4004 7507 4001 7513 4007 7518 4009 7511

$$

Meola

This is happening just east of me at the moment.  Current temp is back up to 93 and partly sunny, so very unstable over this way.

ETA - Looking at radar, as of ~3:45, it looked like it has now pretty much dissipated.  It literally formed as a red dot, blew up into a tiny blob, and then I guess rained itself out and faded away like plopping a rock in a pond and watching the waves spread out in a circle all around. lol  Wish I could save the animation of the radar presentation of that.

It has been raining to my east and raining to my west but still haven't gotten anything yet.  There has been continual thunder all around and something nasty looks like it is forming to the west.  The temp has dropped down to 84. 

Edit to add - Mt. Holly has been busy today (always before a holiday... :lol:).  EAS came up on my phone as I was texting my sis.

radar-07032018-tphl2.png

Wow just looked at the radar after getting an EAS for flash flooding - looks like we're gonna get nailed. Already heavy rain now, just had a large bolt of lightning land about 800 ft. to the north. Here we had to get heavy rain since we have a 6x10x6 foot deep hole opened up with 6 pipe sleeves at varying elevations running 30 ft. into the barn. Oh well, just about every time we do a big outside project this happens. It's a bit of lol, we will try to persevere.

eta - well we did need some rain!

radar_7_30pm-7-03-18.jpg.c39152454cd3c6a18d3078609aeb361f.jpg

In a bit of a lull with light rain. Never got any gully washer showers. Temp is down to 76 but with dews in the 70s too, it is a steam bath out there.  Got 0.06" of that so far.  Really need a bit more so I don't have to pull out the hose again... but beggars can't be choosers!  Sun is trying to come out in the west.

Seems everything weakened with the loss of daytime heating - still got 1.75" total here, 1.25" from the last batch. Not too bad ditch wise! The only reason the hole is that deep is due to Mr. Missile (the boring tool) probably hitting a large rock or something and taking a dive. That lowest line is under the water which is maybe 12" deep in the middle - could have been worse! if it dries out enough we'll back fill it tomorrow.

Hole-with-rain-7-03-18.thumb.jpg.0bd7cfff9ef628a66c199bd6cd393c5e.jpg

6 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Seems everything weakened with the loss of daytime heating - still got 1.75" total here, 1.25" from the last batch. Not too bad ditch wise! The only reason the hole is that deep is due to Mr. Missile (the boring tool) probably hitting a large rock or something and taking a dive. That lowest line is under the water which is maybe 12" deep in the middle - could have been worse! if it dries out enough we'll back fill it tomorrow.

Hole-with-rain-7-03-18.thumb.jpg.0bd7cfff9ef628a66c199bd6cd393c5e.jpg

Oh my.  It's like you need a sump pump for the hole!

Worcester - 1.32 " of rain but in my backyard the big deal was the wind. Lost a large white pine (maybe 40' high??)    Snapped (or twisted???) off 1/3 up from the ground. Took out my neighbors fence as well. I was not home and missed all the action.  I will look in the AM to see if there is an evidence of a lightning hit.

downed tree.jpg

7 hours ago, RedSky said:

Scratching my head on how i can miss everything going back over a month now. It started here with that huge weekend rain bust on Memorial day weekend. They say lawns never died here in summer until I arrived....

Hope that is not a sign of how winter will treat you up there! :yikes:

Never got any more rain after the 0.06" yesterday but I'll take it. Currently 79 (about 4 degrees cooler than yesterday at this time) and sunny, with a few clouds scattered here and there, after a low of 72 this morning.  Earlier steaminess is burning off some.

8 hours ago, RedSky said:

Scratching my head on how i can miss everything going back over a month now. It started here with that huge weekend rain bust on Memorial day weekend. They say lawns never died here in summer until I arrived....

You need to dig a hole in your yard.

9 hours ago, Chief83 said:

Worcester - 1.32 " of rain but in my backyard the big deal was the wind. Lost a large white pine (maybe 40' high??)    Snapped (or twisted???) off 1/3 up from the ground. Took out my neighbors fence as well. I was not home and missed all the action.  I will look in the AM to see if there is an evidence of a lightning hit.

downed tree.jpg

Wow, that's amazing! You're not that far from me and not much of anything happened here (not that I want my trees to come down). I heard plenty of thunder throughout the afternoon and evening and the skies got dark at times, but that was about it.